Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Clip

There's a video on GameVideos from GamesCom we missed at the time with ShakyCam footage of Star Trek Online shot off a monitor (actually a 16 monitor array). The clip is quite steady, though at an off angle twice trisected by monitor borders. Shortcomings aside, the clip shows off quite a bit of ground and starship combat if you are interested in how that plays out. Thanks Massively.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 8, 2009, 08:11 Theo

so there is only me that likes the look of this popcorn startrek game?

also, @advocate, id like to read up the ACK packet thing, being a network engineer who actaully understands tcp, should make interesting reading, specially as it sounds like tosh. do you have any infos i could peruse please? (especially as this sounds like the good old .net broken socket implementation).

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2009, 08:16.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 8, 2009, 07:33 Burrito of Peace

Elf, all I gotta say is that you live in an alternate reality from the rest of the world and I do mean that without any snark.

Will you trust me when I tell you that everything you're claiming Cryptic did about zero lag was in fact not their doing at all but the doing of a very talented network engineering team? This team who was literally compensating for some of the worst network code written since Christ was a kid.

Let's take Granville as an example where every single fucking spiderweb averaged 20 polys or more...and there were thousands of them which brought even the greatest systems to their knees. Yeah, great coding by Cryptic. Were you there when Cryptic decided to "tweak" the model database and, as usual, fucked it up causing people to run around with police cars and statues on their heads instead of costume pieces? Oh, were you there when it took them a week to fix it because they couldn't figure out their own code because it was written so poorly and an outside influence had to come in and fix it?

Oh, oh, and let's also fondly remember right after the release of Issue 9 where Cryptic made the awesome move of requiring asynchronous ACK packets from the client causing most people to disconnect so frequently that a roll back patch had to be put out because Cryptic hadn't bothered to run that through QA!

For every one thing you think Cryptic did that was "good" for CoX, there are four to five counterpoints where they fucked up.

24. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 21:39 The Half Elf

Yeah Advocate Cryptic sold CoX to NCSoft, Half the Cryptic Team stayed to become Paragon Studios and promptly ran the game into the ground. Not quite as much as the NGE for SWG, but they are doing a great job trying to match it.
The Invasion system developed AFTER it was sold to NCSoft, which bring any zone to it's knee's due to the game servers not being able to handle it... not Cryptic's doing. Using the same invasion system for a second invasion event? Also Paragon Studio's brilliant idea.
Aeon Entertainment (Farm Buildings) building IN ATLAS PARK, turned the one REALLY great things about this amazing area where tons of players come to socialize? Now a spam fest for people looking for farms.

End of City of Heroes Beta, with 100's of players, 1000's of rikti invading, mass anarchy with ZERO network lag? That was Cryptic's fault. And it's a damn shame because with dead hero's everywhere, Cryptic Employee's opening portals and Rikti pouring in, it was a GREAT event. Framerate issues weren't the best, but again the servers handled it perfectly.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

23. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 14:41 nin

"Fuckity fuck fuck" for hellbinder.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 14:28 Burrito of Peace

Do you really think you can have "diplomacy" with a people enslaved by religion made up straight from the pit of hell?

Hellbinder completely forgets to include both Christianity and Judaism in his little tirade who are just as barbaric as the other religion he rails against.

Of course, one never expects reason, logic and an understanding of both history and theology from religious zealots.

21. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 14:22 Burrito of Peace

I've played plenty worse games than City of Heroes...

CoH didn't become both good and stable until after Cryptic had left and it was handed off to another team to fix.

20. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 11:55 space captain

ive warned you about this, hellbinder. satanic forces are on their way to fuck you up RIGHT NOW.

OLAHO VIRUDENMAHORELA ZODIREDA! ON PIREDA EXENTASER; ARBA PIRE GAH GAHA GAHAL GAHALANA VO ABRA NA GAHA VELUCORSAPAX.

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 11:18 Hellbinder

@techie

Do you really think you can have "diplomacy" with a people enslaved by religion made up straight from the pit of hell? where they throw acid in the faces of their young girls for "dishonoring" the family? People like you always ignore the fact that in every single case where Islam is allowed to take hold the people get enslaved by it. Schmucks like you meed to go live in Sudan, Indonesia, Egypt, Iran or anywhere else where Islamic law is enforced.

The Whales name is Bob.

18. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 09:39 Ventura

Those assholes just don't know how to make good games

That's a bit harsh mate. I've played plenty worse games than City of Heroes, and it's a bit much to cast judgement on Star Trek so soon.

This may not be the Star Trek video some of us were hoping for, but there are developers out there a lot worse than this one.

17. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 09:30 Cutter

They figured that anyone who had seen the shows would fantasize about being the commander of a starship? Uh wrong. A lot of people are a lot more interested in the science, diplomacy and exploration aspects of ST. Gods above I hope this fails along with Champs so Cryptic will finally go away. Those assholes just don't know how to make good games. Thanks for ruining the first online Star Trek game, jackasses. Cryptic is synonomous with epic fail.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 06:06 Ventura

Ouch, that did look a bit unimpressive, and that's coming from a Trekkie.

I'll end up getting it though. Resistance is futile.

15. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 03:35 Wildone

is ANYONE gonna get the ship combat right ever??!?  

14. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 00:33 space captain

Looks like a throwaway piece of garbage, as if there was ever any doubt.

Well said, number one.

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 6, 2009, 23:59 Creston

Yeah, it would have been so much better to have DeForest Kelly up there making saracastic comments about how the medical section would be dealing with all the n00b commanders' mistakes.

Yeah, but there was a bit of a scheduling issue with Bones, as I understand it. (in that he's dead.)

Fly into a system, get into combat, save the last ship, disable it and lead a party over to capture the ship.

From the review I read in PC Gamer, this sort of mission is actually in the game. It seemed pretty fun, but I have to admit that the whole "combat combat combat" is not really what Star Trek is about...

Creston

12. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 6, 2009, 23:55 Riker

Looks like a throwaway piece of garbage, as if there was ever any doubt.  

11. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 6, 2009, 21:31 wtf_man

If it would have been a Bridge Commander clone + landing party missions... I might have taken a look.

But as is... I'm not the least bit interested.

What an abomination on the IP.

10. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 6, 2009, 21:24 Buckermann

I'm utterly unimpressed.
Like others have said already, it seems that all you can do is shoot other people in the face. While this can be fun too, it's not what Star Trek is about.

9. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 6, 2009, 21:09 space captain

Is exploration, science, and diplomacy going to play a roll at all? That was the core of the ST universe.

nope - its just a bullshit pve grindfest.. wannabe homeworld-lite + guildwars-lite

the entire purpose of this game is simply to cash in on a brand name

fuckin pathetic

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 6, 2009, 18:10 toranaga

I've already written this one off when they first announced the changed direction (back with the original dev), and everything I've seen/heard since has just cemented the choice further, but I just got annoyed again watching the movie. The guy spouting the everyone wants to be a captain bullshit. That's not true. My first choice would have been engineering, and it was back in TNG/DS9 watching days aswell.

Just because you are for example an engineer doesn't mean you'd be stuck in engineering pushing buttons until you level up to some other position. How often isn't the chief engineer (and all other "classes" for that matter) along on away missions and stuff in the shows, there's plenty of wiggle room there to make a fun game.

Simplifying the gameplay to match your developement capabilities is one thing, but stop trying to cover it up as "but that's what the people want!".

7. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 6, 2009, 17:56 sliv

Those were the most underwhelming explosions I've ever seen. The ships are supposed to be huge with a radioactive core on each and you get this puny explosion that's half the size of the ship itself. Phasers look pretty cool, but the way the ships were moving, they felt like they were same size and mass as a little shuttlecraft.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo