Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: On Sale Sep 6, 2009, 00:09 Veinman

Supposedly the Civ IV sale doesn't include Colonization, despite it saying it in one place. I emailed customer support about it Friday, and they never even replied. No sale.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 14:54 Jerykk

CoJ1&2 are way, way too linear and scripted and they both have some very iffy trial-and-error level design. I'd really like to see a good, open-world western action RPG. Red Dead Redemption might pull it off but I have a feeling it won't give you much in the way of moral choices.  

18. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 14:13 PHJF

CoJ2 has some gorgeous visuals...

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj316/PHJF/juarez2.jpg

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 12:04 tony

Maybe it was mostly the freshness of the Western atmosphere that won me over, but I enjoyed the gameplay too. I really enjoyed using revolvers, shotguns, and the bow.

What do you mean by an "old" tech demo by the way? I didn't find any of the graphics to be outdated. I've seen better character models, but they weren't bad by any means. I also thought the environments looked great, and I don't know if I've played any games that had better looking ones.

I liked the setting as well - it's what kept me playing. The sky lines and some of the mountain architecture looked really good, but the plants ruined it for me. The plants were flat 3-D and static, and since there were so many of them it looked cheap, fake, and out of place. Being an older game, I think Half Life 2 had more convincing out door environments, although I admit CoJ's environments were more natural and it's not a very good comparison anyways.

I felt like I was playing a tech demo because there was constant instruction and lots of pauses from the actual gameplay. It was unpolished, imo. The game was fairly fun, and had some good moments (using the bow was nicely done) but overall I was unimpressed.

16. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 10:55 Ecthelion

I just finished the game yesterday. I have really mixed feelings about it, mostly negative. I felt like I was playing both an old tech demo and a game-long tutorial.
Don't play the prequel then. In addition to being generally easier, they made the duels more frustrating (at least when using a mouse and keyboard). I still like it though... I think I'm about half way through it.

Maybe it was mostly the freshness of the Western atmosphere that won me over, but I enjoyed the gameplay too. I really enjoyed using revolvers, shotguns, and the bow.

What do you mean by an "old" tech demo by the way? I didn't find any of the graphics to be outdated. I've seen better character models, but they weren't bad by any means. I also thought the environments looked great, and I don't know if I've played any games that had better looking ones.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2009, 10:56.

15. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 10:44 Wowbagger_TIP

I've found that after games like BG and NWN, I don't have the patience for the interfaces in the older games like M&M. I liked them back when I first played them though. I think I still have them in a box somewhere.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 10:23 tony

Any true RPG players out there that haven't bought the Might and Magic Limited Edition pack on GOG need to reevaluate your interests in life. $10 for Might and Magic 4, 5, and 6 is an amazing deal. I really wish Ubisoft would act on their Might and Magic license and make a new party based, first person perspective, RPG.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2009, 10:23.

13. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 10:21 tony

If you haven't played Call of Juarez yet, do yourself a favor and pick it up on GoGamer for $1. It's a very entertaining story-based Western FPS, which is definitely a less common environment for the genre.

I just finished the game yesterday. I have really mixed feelings about it, mostly negative. I felt like I was playing both an old tech demo and a game-long tutorial.

For a dollar, you can't go wrong. Hell I bought if for $10 and felt like I got my money's worth. But I certainly would never have gladly paid anymore for it.

12. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 08:41 osage no onna

Does GoGamer only sell within the US?

They seem to only ship to US addresses. I'm a foreign devil, and I just ordered a bunch of games for a friend in the US. It seemed to go through alright. I had to do it via Google Checkout, though, as their own system only had a pulldown menu for US states for the billing address. Guess I'll find out what happens!

11. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 08:30 DG

fwiw Beamer the last patch for Civ4 took out the requirement for the DVD to be in the drive.

Don't make any plans for after you buy the game though, it's a major time sink if you get into it. You can be sitting telling yourself "one more turn" for hours.

IIRC it was on sale on Steam not so long ago? I can buy the physical copy on Amazon.co.uk for £7.45, 1/3 of Steam price. One thing, only Steam reports including Colonisation.

10. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 08:29 Golwar

Does GoGamer only sell within the US?
Checked their site and found no single hint on this topic.

@ Beamer
Gamersgate doesn't use any Client or other Software. You download the game and that's all about it.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2009, 08:30.

9. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 08:18 Skoll

Majesty any good? I like the idea of an RTS with less micromanagement...  

8. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 01:30 theAntiELVIS

Blue - I think you have discovered a theme for a whole new site here: Games for Cheap Bastards. This section is definitely growing.

-tAE-

7. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 00:08 LittleMe

Beamer I feel as you man.. One digital downloader is almost one too many already. Heh..  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2009, 22:10 Beamer

I really want Civ4 Complete. I really don't want GamersGate downloader.

Is it a pain in the ass?

I think I'll wait for the physical copy or a Steam sale. Yeah, I know, I'm hurting competition, but I don't want to install even more crap.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2009, 21:54 shponglefan

50% off for Street Fighter IV? Sold!  

4. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2009, 21:25 Ecthelion

If you haven't played Call of Juarez yet, do yourself a favor and pick it up on GoGamer for $1. It's a very entertaining story-based Western FPS, which is definitely a less common environment for the genre.

The prequel is more consolized, but the first one feels like a PC game for the most part.

3. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2009, 21:21 Caveman

I don't see a point to Shadowrun, even it is a penny, as Microsoft shut down the servers nearly a year ago, and since the game has no single player, it's basically a coaster.  

2. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2009, 21:15 Prez

LOL. Beat me to it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2009, 21:11 PHJF

While a penny is truly overpriced for Shadowrun, it's out of stock...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo