Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots

Valve announces their plans for showing off Left 4 Dead 2 at the Penny Arcade Expo, where they will unveil the Dark Carnival campaign, the Jockey boss, the "uncommon common" Zombie Clown, and items "being offered as a pre-sell exclusive with select retailers." This is accompanied by a batch of new Left 4 Dead 2 screenshots showing off these characters, and here's word:

Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2), the sequel to the best-selling and critically-acclaimed action thriller from Valve is being shown this weekend at The Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) in Seattle, Washington.

The game is available to play, by the press and public, at Valve and Microsoft's Xbox 360 booth.

After debuting "The Parish" campaign (set in the New Orleans' French Quarter) at E3 and "Swamp Fever" at Comic Con San Diego, Dark Carnival is the third of the five campaigns shipping with L4D2 this fall.

Valve is also unveiling a new Boss infected monster coming in the full version of Left 4 Dead 2. Known as "The Jockey" this is the third new Boss infected from L4D2 revealed thus far (the Charger was revealed at E3, The Spitter at Comic Con). The Jockey lets you attack lone Survivors and wrestle control of their movement away from them-into fire, off ledges, or straight into the middle of a zombie horde.

In addition to the new campaign and boss monster the PAX showing of L4D2 marks the debut of the "Zombie Clown," the "uncommon common" exclusive to the Dark Carnival campaign, and a few more of the 20-plus new items coming in the full product (electric guitar, machete, and the American baseball bat being offered as a pre-sell exclusive with select retailers).

Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 and PC on November 17, Left 4 Dead 2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-operative action games and become one of 2009's marquee titles.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 5, 2009, 16:37 Jerykk

I find it odd that valve even agreed to it. I mean why would they want to give incentives to people to buy from gamestop/etc instead of steam where they get a much larger percentage of the profit?

EA handles retail distribution of the games and the X360 version provides a significant source of revenue. If Valve wants EA to distribute the console version, they have to agree to their terms.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 21:16 PHJF

Unfortunately, they don't have a generic equivalent, so I can't afford them.

Yeah, they do; just pick up anything at a homeopathy store.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 21:03 Prez

Did any of you take your not stupid pills today?

Unfortunately, they don't have a generic equivalent, so I can't afford them.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 20:20 Dev

I find it odd that valve even agreed to it. I mean why would they want to give incentives to people to buy from gamestop/etc instead of steam where they get a much larger percentage of the profit?

My guess is that steam will have its own exclusive so people will have to choose between what exclusive weapons they want when they buy (like if they choose to buy at GS, or BB, or steam, etc).

I wonder how many will buy it from each one to get every exclusive lol.

19. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 20:15 Caveman

Eh regardless, they could give everyone $20 and they would still find something to bitch about here.  

18. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 20:14 Dev

Caveman:
Sounds like you are full of BS, not the other guy. Your arguments got me curious, so a quick google turned up this:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60343
"The weapon is an American baseball bat, and has its own unique characteristics--in other words, it's not just a re-skinned version of the cricket bat, Valve told us today."

17. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 20:11 Dev

They are probably offering the pre-sale weapon thing to grab people like me and the others in this thread who want to wait for the game to go on sale a couple months after release.

They didn't do that for L4D1, what changed? Well one obvious thing is the people getting upset at broken promises for L4D1.

16. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 19:37 |RaptoR|

God damn I can't wait for this game!!!  

15. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 18:46 Caveman

Uh that's the entire point Einstein, it's supposed to look like a low budget slasher 80's movie poster.

Man, Blues is really fucking dense today. Did any of you take your not stupid pills today?

14. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 18:29 everyone

Why's this game have a gangsta bitch in it?

And that press ad photo thing that's at a ridiculous resolution... Check out how fucking shitty it looks. Whoever they hired to make that really did a half-assed job. It's a combination of in-game assets with some photos of models standing there, and then the person who mocked this poster up just brushed on the thing to make it look like a painting. ...Except it looks like it was just brushed on in Photoshop without putting any real effort in.

There are brush strokes with fucking ugly Photoshop brushes in some cases where you can see brush "tiling," and the stuff underneath it gives away their lack of effort. You can see pixellation in the game screenshot bits, and the photos of the actors are really lazily brushed over.

Is this lack of skillful execution indicative of the creators of the game as well?

13. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 17:15 Caveman

It's kind of funny how people praise Killing Floor for having a sword and other melee weapons(but you never mention how inferior Killing Floor is compared to L4D), but as soon as Valve give the fans what they want, they all say how it's stupid or it's jumped the shark or some other stupid shit.  

12. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 17:09 LanikTnt

I kinda had the same reaction that it has already jumped the shark.  

11. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 16:40 Caveman

Ditto. Otherwise what does it say about a game when they punish you by not delivering the full game if you don't pre-order?
Rofl, that's such bs and you know it. All those preorder items are a couple of exclusive skins for the bat and guitar.

10. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 16:37 ViRGE

I don't like the sound of items being based on where you bought the game, unless the exclusivity is only temporary.
Ditto. Otherwise what does it say about a game when they punish you by not delivering the full game if you don't pre-order?

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 16:37.

9. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 16:09 Geico Caveman

I don't like the sound of items being based on where you bought the game, unless the exclusivity is only temporary.

Zombie clowns seems amusing, but considering that I haven't touched the first game in forever, I don't think I'll have a hard time waiting for a sale on this one.

Considering how LFD has almost zero depth and replayability I'd have to agree with you.

8. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 15:59 Veinman

Zombie clowns seems amusing, but considering that I haven't touched the first game in forever, I don't think I'll have a hard time waiting for a sale on this one.

7. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 15:54 Geico Caveman

This game looks awesome, can't wait.

Just ignore this troll bait people. Move along! Move along! Nothing to see here.

6. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 15:51 Rhett

Mixed opinion on L4D2, but the idea that they're giving out pre-sale weapons or items sickens me...

Especially since GS will get their hands dirty with it, likely.

Mmm new maps for barricade builder mod...

5. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 15:36 Joss

It'll be a sad, sad day for clowns.  

4. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Details, Screenshots Sep 4, 2009, 15:35 Caveman

This game looks awesome, can't wait.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo