Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Legal Conflict

IGN reports on potential legal hurdles the recently announced MechWarrior revival from Piranha Games may have to overcome before its release. They have received a cease and desist order from Harmony Gold, co-copyright owner of the television series Robotech, demanding they remove the related MechWarrior teaser movie. IGN contacted Smith and Tinker about this, but received a "no comment" for the moment, and here's their outline of the dispute:

The letter claims that the use of certain trademarked figures from the Robotech/Macross universe are prohibited as a result of a prior settlement that dates back to 1996. While MechWarrior isn't part of the Robotech/Macross universe, the similarities between vehicles has been enough to cause legal issues and raise questions. Apparently, some of those trademarked figures appear in the trailer used by Piranha Games in its announcement of the MechWarrior reboot earlier this year, and a request has been made for that trailer to be pulled from IGN.

This development could put the future of MechWarrior in jeopardy. A trademark dispute could derail the game's development. On the flip side, it could also simply result in specific characters, logos, or other trademarked material from being included in the final product.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: MechWarrior Legal Woes Sep 6, 2009, 04:34 Prez

Thanks Supermike! Didn't mean to sound impatient or ungrateful. Just hungry for an update.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: MechWarrior Legal Woes Sep 5, 2009, 19:55 Supermike

We're doing it in a manner that is not a hack. It's not a no-cd. There's a lot of work to be done and we're gonna beta it first, so there's no issues. We're almost done  

35. Re: MechWarrior Legal Woes Sep 5, 2009, 17:08 Jerykk

Copy protection, CD checks, and version compatibility are pretty big hurdles and we're working pretty hard to get this game in a condition to be released.

Err, you're adding to copy-protection to a game that's going to be free? Or are you trying to remove it? MW4 was cracked a while ago so it can't be that hard.

34. Re: MechWarrior Legal Woes Sep 4, 2009, 23:57 Supermike

Supermike from MekTek here.

Among other things, there is a lot of work to be done to Mercs to turn it into a downloadable game. Copy protection, CD checks, and version compatibility are pretty big hurdles and we're working pretty hard to get this game in a condition to be released. Not to mention making sure our infrastructure can handle the traffic we're going to have when it does finally go live.

We appreciate the patience of the community. This whole thing was thrown at us rather unexpectedly, so we had no time to prepare before the announcement was made. Bear with us a bit longer

*edit*
I just saw Blue's post in the news, that just about sums it up

Thanks for spreading the word. It is greatly appreciated

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2009, 00:01.

33. Re: MechWarrior Legal Woes Sep 4, 2009, 21:46 Hump

BTW, whatever happened to MW4 being released free to the public? I keep checking the website, but only see that it was supposed to be "soon"

Mektek built over 100 mechs to add to the game and a bunch of maps, not to mention a ton of other stuff. I beleive they want to integrate everything into one seamless download.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

32. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 19:18 .Drifter

If Harmony Gold only has US rights to the "unseen" mechs, then Piranha Games should go to Japan, negotiate the rights to outside US distribution, then let a company such as GoGamer import and sell the games like they do so many others from Europe/UK.
Wouldn't that meet the criteria for being allowed to use them, since there would be no official US sales channel, only an import one?
As I understand it, that's how certain games that go unpublished in other countries (Germany or Australia for example) are still purchased by residents of these countries.

31. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 17:58  Blue 

EDIT: BTW, whatever happened to MW4 being released free to the public? I keep checking the website, but only see that it was supposed to be "soon".

Interesting question... I found what amounts to the answer, and just posted a story on it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

30. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 17:51 Talisorn

FFS! Just license the damn designs off them once and for all. These are core Mechwarrior mechs. Shouldn't this shit have been sorted out by now!  

29. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 17:36 Wowbagger_TIP

I thought it was supposed to be released sometime before the end of the year. Don't remember where I read that though.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

28. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 17:25 Prez

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR A GODDAMN MECHAWARRIOR GAME FOR YEARS AND NOW THAT ONE IS BEING MADE DON'T TIE IT UP IN LEGAL BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for shouting... lost my cool there for a minute.

EDIT: BTW, whatever happened to MW4 being released free to the public? I keep checking the website, but only see that it was supposed to be "soon".

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 17:27.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 17:04 Cutter

I'm sure people have been dreaming about a mechanized suit of armor as long as there have been suits of armor. I don't see how FASA or anyone else did much else except flesh it out. Much like how high-fantasy is based on myth and folklore that's existed for millenia. So saying they own the rights to a common idea is ludicrous at best. Anyway, I don't care about the legalese, I just want the damn game already.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 16:47 Kajetan

I have no doubt they can do high quality redesigns of Warhammer&Co

Already done

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Technical_Readout:_Project_Phoenix

25. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 16:17 nutshell42

Stop being asstards.

1. The designs stolen from Macross were some of the best and most iconic Battletech mechs. Suddenly pretending that the Warhammer was ugly is juvenile.

2. Looking cool is the whole point of the mechs. There's nothing remotely practical or logical about putting yourself in a 30ft high target. Mechs will never rule any battlefield that's even close to reality and that's fine. They're fucking cool anyway.

3. HG are dicks but FASA stole those designs wholesale and rightfully lost the lawsuit. If they didn't have a license for the use in the new game then they were idiots.

4. They did come up with some nice original designs and they can do the same for the Unseen. Some of the previous replacement designs were childish but the focus of the Battletech timeline had shifted and there were other Mech designs. I have no doubt they can do high quality redesigns of Warhammer&Co

24. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 14:48 Wowbagger_TIP

I thought they said a while back that they had worked out a deal to have the unseen mechs included. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

They have this post up about the issue.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 13:59 Hump

That's not quite how trademarks work. If you don't enforce them, you establish a precedent, and before you know it everyone uses your stuff.

and thats the crux of the problem with copyright law. Creativity doesn't look towards the courts for inspiration, the best art is made by taking inspiration from what others have done before.

Anyhow, the author of the IGN piece is being a bit over-dramatic when he said it could put the future of the series in "jeopardy". Like someone said, they'll simply omit these mechs like they've done before.

I do agree though that using these mechs was a pretty idiotic move. Weisman, more than anyone, knows how Harmony Gold is. When I saw the Warhammer in the vid I was psyched because i assumed they had gotten permission. Evidently I give folks too much credit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

22. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 13:40 Burrito of Peace

The boxy designs would make them easier to service on the battlefield, such as using roughly rectangular armor plates rather than weird stylized types of armor. Function over form and all that.

I'd stop wasting your time with things like "logic" and "practicality". The anime-tards are too busy jerking off to twelve year old girls with pink hair and cat ears to actually pay attention.

Every design that comes out of Japan has all the inspiration of a particularly retarded 11 year old with ADHD. They're either ridiculously outlandish to the point of being laughable or they're as bland as a glass of tepid milk.

Now, show me a mech styled by Pinanfarina and that would be sexy.

21. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 13:40 Aero

I'm surprised there are trademark disputes about this sort of thing. From my experience watching anime, most all of the robots in all of the shows look pretty damn much the same to me.

They probably won't have to remove anything. Just put some antennas on it or change the way the legs look or something. They could probably keep all of the movement mechanics and such the same and just change some of the geometry and textures in place. I'm not familiar with these particular mechs, but if the similarity from one anime to another is anything to go by, odds are they won't have to change all that much.

I much prefer the western style mechs to those Gundam and Macross things. They look much more like practical, mass-produced war machines. The Japanese ones are cool looking too but often they look awkward and entirely too flashy.

BTW: Can anyone provide pictures of the offending mechs and their counterparts?

20. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 13:25 dubfanatic

OH GLORIOUS NIPPON, I SUBMIT TO YOUR SUPERIOR CULTURE

19. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 13:23 Creston

Harmony Gold, get a flipping life. If anything, see it as free advertisement

That's not quite how trademarks work. If you don't enforce them, you establish a precedent, and before you know it everyone uses your stuff.

Worst case result, the offending mechs get removed from the game.

Best case result, the entire game synchs with the Robotech universe. I'd love to kill me some Invid.

Creston

18. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 13:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Most of the Macross-style mechs don't look like they could stand up to a regular tank, let alone a western-style mech. They are fine for scout designs and such, and the heavier ones like the Warhammer or Rifleman (still only medium to heavy class) look a lot more like the rest of the western-design Battletech mechs and look like they could take more of a beating. The boxy designs would make them easier to service on the battlefield, such as using roughly rectangular armor plates rather than weird stylized types of armor. Function over form and all that.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 13:16.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo