Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Beta Applications

The Star Trek Online Website announces they are now accepting sign-ups for closed beta testing of Cryptic's upcoming Trekkie MMORPG, saying they'll randomly select testers from that group. Those who have purchased a six-month or lifetime subscription to Champions Online are already accepted into the upcoming testing, and they tell these people: "We’ll have more information about how and when you can join the beta at a later date."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 5, 2009, 03:38 Ant

Yeah the complete message was confusing. It should had a new Web page to say application is done and not at the top of the application page.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 19:20 creatorswhim

I never realized that so many QA workers spend so much time reading this site. Obviously this explains why game quality has been in the toilet for the last few years.  

11. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 18:03 Talisorn

In the closed beta the dev's REALLY listened to the player and made direct changed to the game to reflect that. In the open beta (as was mentioned in a interview with Champions on Ten Ton Hammer I believe) they even say that there is no way to simulate the affect of 10,000 players will have on the game/servers/etc without having an open beta, and the XP curve changes they made were directly from that.
Absolutely.

Unfortunately, too many people want to get into Closed Beta as a way of playing a game for free. What they don't realise is that the game is incomplete, unbalance and is prone to crashing. That's the nature of testing an IT system. That's what Beta Testers are there for: to give feedback, report bugs and not just to play a free game and bitch about it ... or worse ... note loopholes in the game mechanics so they can exploit it in the live game.

Open beta is about load testing and making sure your infrastructure can handle the stress of "n thousand" players. It's still going to have problems, especially performance ones. It's still going to have some very minor bugs.

Unfortunately the marketeers have got hold of the closed beta concept and run with it as a "Hey see our new game for free!" thing ... and then the punters complain because it's laggy, there are minor problem or skills/powers/abilities get changed. HEY! Guess what! Your there to show up problems in the system ... hopefully before the game goes live!

Closed beta participants really need to be more carefully screened for people who ACTUALLY understand what they are there for.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 18:04.

10. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 17:44 The Half Elf

Thumbler your an asshat if you believe the beta's (BOTH CLOSED AND OPEN) were just for marketing.
In the closed beta the dev's REALLY listened to the player and made direct changed to the game to reflect that. In the open beta (as was mentioned in a interview with Champions on Ten Ton Hammer I believe) they even say that there is no way to simulate the affect of 10,000 players will have on the game/servers/etc without having an open beta, and the XP curve changes they made were directly from that.

The only person your kidding is yourself sir.

As for you whiners out there, as I stated in another post there were quite a few ways to get into the closed and open beta. I had over 10 beta invites for closed alone, and there were quite a few FREE ways to get into the Open Beta.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 17:45.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 17:42 Talisorn

How long was Cryptic beating the Join Beta! drum? 2 years plus before their beta even started? I wouldn't hold my breath.
WoW was in development for a lot longer than two years. In fact just one of their expansions takes much longer than two years toy develop .... mind you they just about re-invent their player character game mechanics with every expansion.

8. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 17:05 Cutter

How long was Cryptic beating the Join Beta! drum? 2 years plus before their beta even started? I wouldn't hold my breath.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

7. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 13:10 spindoctor

I opened the page (http://www.startrekonline.com/preview_application) again and it says

Your beta application is still pending.

edit - Well I clicked submit again and now I get both messages

* Your beta application is still pending.
* Your beta application has been submitted.

Let's hope it means that it's done

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 13:11.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 12:19 Grounded

It worked, look at the top of your screen, there is a message near the top of the application form that says "you have submitted yourself for beta or something like that"  

5. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 12:17 spindoctor

I have a doubt... I got to the last page of the beta form (where it asks for your gaming preferences and system specs) and clicked submit and it loaded the same page again. Does the system not give any sort of confirmation that the beta application has been submitted? Or did I do something wrong?  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

4. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 11:41 Cutter

Yeah, this whole calling it an open beta when it's not has to stop. That or it's time to start come class-action suits for false advertising. That'll stop it PDQ. And whilst I'd actually like this game to succeed, I have ZERO faith in Cryptic's ability to make a good game.  

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

3. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 11:23 Frijoles

Or Aion. Open Beta my ass.  

2. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 11:13 Grounded

They won't, but it looks head and shoulders above Champions, which sucks  

1. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 10:43 Tumbler

Signed up. Hopefully they'll offer a true open beta instead of using it as a marketing tool like they did with Champions...but who am I kidding?  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo