Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters

The Team Fortress 2 Blog announces that Valve will be removing all items earned using external idling applications in Team Fortress 2. As Hank Williams once sang: "When tears come down like fallin' rain, You'll toss around and call my name, You'll walk the floor the way I do, Your cheatin' hat will tell on you." Wait, maybe he said heart. Anyway, here's word:

Over the next few days we'll be removing all TF2 items that were earned using external idling applications. We're going to adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system. Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system. Going forward, if we find users using external applications, we'll remove all of their items. If you're interested, only about 4.5% of the players in TF2's community will be affected by this cleansing process.

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory. We've also significantly increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

We realize there is a high level of demand for items, and we're still working on systems to allow you to find them in new ways (via Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items). However, we need to draw the line at running external applications.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 9, 2009, 09:52 Verno

Maybe they want to motivate people to keep playing the game?

Maybe they didn't need to do this? Killing someone with a bat or rocket is enough instant gratification for me. If I wanted intangible rewards from pure time investment, I'd go waste my life away in an MMO. It's out of place and silly in an FPS.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 4, 2009, 03:29 Geico Caveman

Agreed. I always thought it was an FPS....they are making it ridiculous. Which is why I haven't played in a long time. Items/hats/ets. Why not just call it Team ForCraft 2.

Some people actually think they're doing a great job with the game. For $10 this game has to be the best bang for your buck in years. But by all means, keep whining about free content for a $10 game with massive replayability.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 03:30.

34. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 4, 2009, 03:26 Geico Caveman

* REMOVED *

I see someone's got their panties all in a bunch. What a shame.

33. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 4, 2009, 03:23 Geico Caveman

Since all you have to do to get the items is play the game and be randomly rewarded, I don't see why Valve doesn't just give all the items to everybody at once.

If it's not obvious I'll spell it out for you. Maybe they want to motivate people to keep playing the game? They sure the hell didn't do it so people would find new creative ways to cheat.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 03:24.

32. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 3, 2009, 10:03 xXBatmanXx

This is what happens when you add ITEMS to a SHOOTER!!!! DUH!!!???

Agreed. I always thought it was an FPS....they are making it ridiculous. Which is why I haven't played in a long time. Items/hats/ets. Why not just call it Team ForCraft 2.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

31. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 3, 2009, 09:41 InBlack

Perhaps they could make the cheater's models (and hitboxes) immensly huge so that everyone could gank them to hell and back....

...Seriously though. What the fuck did they expect???

This is what happens when you add ITEMS to a fucking SHOOTER!!!! DUH!!!??? Brood

I have a nifty blue line!

30. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 3, 2009, 05:21 Dev

BobBob:
Brilliant idea, I love it!

29. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 3, 2009, 04:34 Jerykk

Since all you have to do to get the items is play the game and be randomly rewarded, I don't see why Valve doesn't just give all the items to everybody at once.

Same reason why all developers are putting unlockables into games. It's an easy way to keep people playing. You can always count on greed, after all and it's much easier to appeal to players' baser instincts than craft genuinely deep gameplay with plenty of longevity. That said, TF2 is a pretty solid game so it doesn't really need unlockables.

28. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 3, 2009, 02:15 Silicon Avatar

27. Re: Game Reviews Sep 3, 2009, 01:32 BobBob

I'd be funny if they actually labeled the person a cheater and put a dunce cap on him/her instead. That way people know what he/she has done and admins can selectively ban/filter players with dunce caps. Perhaps it can be done for a certain period of time -- the more you cheat the longer you keep the dunce cap each time.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2009, 01:35.

26. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 3, 2009, 01:07 Kosumo

Seattle down clown.

Don't need nasty wishes around here.

You're just eating his troll bait, hook, line, and fishing boat!

Chill.

25. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 2, 2009, 23:52 Caveman

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 3, 2009, 07:58.

24. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 2, 2009, 23:46 Geico Caveman

Remove?

How about delete and ban accounts?

4.5%? That is a hell of a lot of cheaters.
Sad...thought it was closer to 1%.

Delete and ban?

How about the fucking electric chair? At least for Caveman anyway. Everyone else should be totally unaffected by this. A friendly written warning would suffice.

23. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 2, 2009, 23:46 Caveman

Animal, just get lost already, and go back to being banned you fucking troll.  

22. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 2, 2009, 23:45 Geico Caveman

Not really concerned about hats anyway, as cute as some of them may be. The game is better without all the superfluous nonsense anyway.

Says the man on the random hat drop short end of the stick.

21. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 2, 2009, 23:43 Geico Caveman

I just all you naysayers to read this. Drunkenf00l, the creator of the idle program, did not get flagged, infact he got rewarded, and he was the one who started this whole idle crazy with his program. This just goes to show how ass backwards Robin Walker and his team are when it comes to fans and their community service.

Edit: Apparently he was flagged now. Regardless, this is still the wrong way to solve this problem.

Wow, you just don't get it, do you? There wouldn't be a "problem" without cheaters like you <equips halo>.

20. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 2, 2009, 23:41 Geico Caveman

If it doesn't matter, then why did half my items get deleted? The ones I got through the achievement system they implemented. Again, it's purely cosmetic so why does it matter? Nobody is gaining an unfair advantage by running the simple exe that combats a flawed and non-rewarding random drop system. Also, the only thing they are protecting is how player unfriendly the current drop system. This post perfectly sums up on how this is the entirely wrong approach.

http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.php?p=17093219&postcount=1

Also, you have to be really ignorant to think that only 4.5% of people idled. According to the Steam stats, the average playerbase per day is around 27-30k players. On a daily average, there were around 9-11k players logged into the sourceop fake server. So on average, around 33% or a third of the community is effected.

You bluffed, they called it. Get over it.

19. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 2, 2009, 23:23 Caveman

If it doesn't matter, then why did half my items get deleted? The ones I got through the achievement system they implemented. Again, it's purely cosmetic so why does it matter? Nobody is gaining an unfair advantage by running the simple exe that combats a flawed and non-rewarding random drop system. Also, the only thing they are protecting is how player unfriendly the current drop system. This post perfectly sums up on how this is the entirely wrong approach.

http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.php?p=17093219&postcount=1

Also, you have to be really ignorant to think that only 4.5% of people idled. According to the Steam stats, the average playerbase per day is around 27-30k players. On a daily average, there were around 9-11k players logged into the sourceop fake server. So on average, around 33% or a third of the community is effected.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 23:23.

18. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 2, 2009, 23:15 xXBatmanXx

Remove?

How about delete and ban accounts?

4.5%? That is a hell of a lot of cheaters.
Sad...thought it was closer to 1%.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

17. Re: Hats Off to TF2 Cheaters Sep 2, 2009, 22:51 Kosumo

Caveman, wtf?? I mean WTF?

You have a problem with a company taking a approch to protecting the intergaty of their game? (with stuff that is so cosmetic to the game as to really matter in no way at all)

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo