Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW

Blizzard COO Says New MMO ‘Significantly Different’ From Warcraft on Wired.com hears once again from Paul Sams COO of Blizzard, who answered questions about various topics at BlizzCon. The conversation covers several projects, but highlights Sams' comments about Blizzard's mysterious other MMORPG, saying it will be different enough from World of Warcraft that it probably won't cannibalize a lot of the WoW user-base: "I think the (new MMO) is going to be significantly differentiated enough," he says. "Such that, you’re not going to feel like they’re one and the same resulting in that you have to pick or choose." Of course if it comes to that, they will live with it, as he also says: "If the bad thing that happens to us is that they leave WoW and go to this other thing of Blizzard’s, then we’ll work through that pain."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Game Reviews Sep 3, 2009, 00:58 BobBob

I'd like to see an MMO with top down -- i.e. Diablo 2 or Titan Quest. It'd be easier on th eyes and more fun.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG Sep 2, 2009, 17:10 Kxmode

Well, let's see. Blizzard only has 3 IPs (though I refer to it as 2.5 IPs since Warcraft and Diablo have merged gameplay-wise in WoW)

So.

We have three choices.

3. New IP.

Blizzard has said, on many occasions, that their nextgen MMO will be a brand-new IP.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 17:11.

33. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG Sep 2, 2009, 16:26 Theo

to be honest grindy games drive me around the bend also, weird given i sub to at least 2 of them. i think thats one of EvE's charms is that a 1 week noob can totally change the fact of a battle; its the knoladge of how to fight thats important in that game not the skillpoints.

admittedly said n00b will get blown up, but he might just get the tackle (holding a enemy ship down) before he goes - thats what i love about that.

tbh i dont think warcraft is that bad when it comes to the level grind, its just when you get to 80 you realise its just more things to grind (equipment etc);

its really only level grinds that drive me around the bend, i like grinding content as long as its fun content. leveling really drives me around the twist, id say the one exception to this is anarchy online were leveling is done wholey in teams, that makes it fun (but obviously you then have the issue of A) finding a team and B) them not being retards C) agreeing what content to do to level.

Wow's grind i didnt like mainly down to the fact that the "adventuring" is mainly designed around solo play, and if i wanted to solo, id be playing mass effect or something.

I hope blizz bring something new to the arena, but they never never inovate they tend to just take the old and polish the pants out of it and "improve" it.

i think its true that with certain mmo's once you hit max level there is nothing to do, but thats getting rare'r i think the problem is the defacto tends to be put a equipment grind in, as apposed to having a compelling end game pvp mechanic.

/Theo

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

32. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG Sep 2, 2009, 16:23 Gentle Nova

"The problem is that there isn't much actual game left in MMO's without the grind."

For MMOs like WoW, ya I agree because the best features of them are their PVE aspects which related to leveling. For other types of MMOs though, like RVR territorial control type ones, I disagree. For example, Warhammer Online had the right idea but just really poor execution. The idea that you get involved within RVR keep combat at Tier 2 was great. Only problem was that the gameplay dynamics of keep combat were limited at best (i.e. single choke point) and thus got boring real quick. If they had implemented keep combat similar to the game Tribes or Planetside, with multiple points of attack possible, the game would have fared much better. I mean whatever your core aspect of the game, you need to make it enjoyable and interesting, no matter if you've been playing the game just one week or one year.

31. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW Sep 2, 2009, 14:49 Verno

The problem is that there isn't much actual game left in MMO's without the grind. Ultima Online is one of the few games I can remember where the players truely drove the game and the advent of carebear players who wanted instant gratification without risk took care of that poor game.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

30. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2009, 14:37 Gentle Nova

Agree with BobBob about liking to see the "grind" disappear, even if it's just an illusion. That's the problem with so many games today (especially those with character levels to them), you spend all your time leveling to get to a point where you can actually participate in what you truly want to do. It's kind of why I like FPS type games because skills often translate easily and you can get into the "meat" of the game right away. Even more so, when you have friends, they can jump in and interact with you right away as well. There is none of this "I've got to grind a few weeks to get to your level before I can play with you" crap that you see in games with character levels.  

29. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW Sep 2, 2009, 13:06 Mr. Tact

Blizzard has been saying their secret MMO would be a new IP for a while now. I don't care to predict it's success, but I will admit to being interested is seeing what new IP Blizzard can come up with.

My tendency would be to doubt they can come up with something I would be interested in. However, every time I've doubted Blizzard before, they have proven me wrong. So, I'll just wait and see on this...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

28. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2009, 10:31 BobBob

Apologies. I will be more mature in my posting in the future.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 13:38.

27. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2009, 09:57 Theo

weird doublepost. sorry.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 09:58.

26. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2009, 09:57 Theo

i currently have 3 eve subs, 1 warcraft sub, a AoC sub.
Translated as: I am a virgin. I live at home with my parents in the basement.

32, stable relationship. Just because i sub to a bunch of games, does not mean i play them 24/7. I play usually Tuesday night, Wednesday night after the gym and sunday's. I also get to play almost any time the other half is A) in the gym, B) out with the girls, C) watching telly.

I like to have a choice what i play, and have the money to keep the accounts open, MMO's are my hobby - not my life.

Did you get a kick out of that btw, big mean internet warrior? i think it says more about you than it does me.

/Theo

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 09:59.

25. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW Sep 2, 2009, 09:40 Verno

Who needs sleep when you have TIME MANAGEMENT? What are you, some kind of retarded manchild who can't balance their life around an MMO?!  

24. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG Sep 2, 2009, 09:28 eunichron

Haha come on, who do you think you guys are fooling? I totally play 5 MMOs, have 4 kids and a wife, I run 2 miles a day, do volunteer work at the local homeless shelter and still manage to cure cancer every day. MMOs are totally conducive to healthy lifestyles!
Oh that's easy time management. Wife takes care of the kids all day, so that's 0 time investment for you. Volunteer work, that's maybe 20 hours a week right? Curing cancer can't possibly take more than a few hours each day. Running 2 miles takes at most 15 minutes. You didn't mention it but I'll assume a 40 hour a week job. So right there you have at least 90 hours a week to dedicate to MMOs, assuming you don't sleep (sleep is a crutch anyway!).

This post is extremely sarcastic, I know at least 1 person will think I'm serious.

23. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2009, 09:21 BobBob

Translated as: I am a virgin. I live at home with my parents in the basement.

22. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW Sep 2, 2009, 08:37 Verno

Haha come on, who do you think you guys are fooling? I totally play 5 MMOs, have 4 kids and a wife, I run 2 miles a day, do volunteer work at the local homeless shelter and still manage to cure cancer every day. MMOs are totally conducive to healthy lifestyles!  

21. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG Sep 2, 2009, 07:49 Theo

lots of folks do it. its not for everyone but i play mmo's almost exclusivly there are a bunch of people who are very much mmo only players (or for the most part anyhow).

/Theo

20. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW Sep 2, 2009, 06:59 Muscular Beaver

Im really interested in how different this game will be. Not because I want to play it but simply because I would like to know how this new development team is able to build another MMO, since most of the original WoW dev team left Blizzard shortly before its release IIRC.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

19. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG Sep 2, 2009, 06:51 The PC Warrior

Thus speaks the voice of authority. LOL! At one point I had three paid subscriptions running and a LotRO lifetime sub running. All with a good job and a family life. I guess your "one size fits all" brain finds that difficult to comprehend, huh?

If you are satisfied with playing each MMO for an hour a day tops then more power to you. If not where else did your time come from? Are you the magical human being who never needs sleep? As someone with kids, I find it extremely difficult to believe you could manage all of that without a divorce. It's not even a question of speaking of authority on the subject, it has everything to do with there only being 24 hours in a day.

I can have 10 subscriptions active at a time but it doesn't mean that I actually play all 10 games. If you are truly satisfied with playing short amounts of time and enjoying it then hey great. I have yet to find an MMO where I found any enjoyment whatsoever when I played less than 10 hours a week and finding 10 hours a week to do nothing but sit on your keester while playing an MMO with kids, a wife and a job is truly an achievement.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 06:54.

18. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2009, 06:36 Slashman

I still have trouble taking the crap...err cash cow that Blizzard is dominating the MMO market with seriously. Another MMO from them isn't going to tempt me very much at all.

Whatever it is that pulls the average dough-head to WoW and makes them feel all 733t and wonderful is something I'd like to be a able to bottle and sell. Because there really isn't anything there that isn't in a dozen other MMOs.

I'd be happy if Blizzrd would just get back to the real games and hurry up with D3 and Starcraft 2.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 06:37.

17. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2009, 05:41 Prez

I am highly skeptical that the new property won't in fact be extremely similar to WoW.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2009, 05:08 Flatline

Still waiting for an MMO without 'grind'. Until then, pass.

The closest I ever got was Pirates of the Burning Sea. The ship-based combat was second to none. There was of course grinding, but ship-based combat (which I focused on) made it so that I got halfway to level cap without even really realizing that I had skipped almost all the missions. It was really that fun.

Then again, I love tactical naval combat games set in the age of sail, so it was a natural sell to me. The ability to shift between PvE and PvP so easily made it especially fun.

There were some downsides though. You'd get some major griefing, and while you could theoretically take a larger ship with a smaller ship (god knows I had done it), the system wasn't nuanced enough to allow real tactics to shine through. Even worse, there was no real benefit for the ship of the smaller class, only a (small) benefit to the larger class ship. I proposed that when a larger ship (or squadron) picked on a sub-class of ship, that they get rewarded not with XP but with faction prestige if the smaller ship successfully escaped. To my knowledge they never moved on that.

However, it was one of the greatest experiences in the world to take a small frigate into a larger fleet action (it was something like 40 on 40 or something absurd), and cut through the close actions and hammer away here and there on sterns and bows. Good times.

I would dearly love a really good tactical naval game, akin to Close Action or Wooden Ships, Iron Men or Form Line of Battle. I was excited about Empire: Total War, but that naval combat fell through and seemed to follow no logic at all. The AI was especially atrocious, as even the French would more or less follow set patterns of engagement, and would be looked down on if they proved shy and not willing to really mix it up.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo