Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net

There's an interview with Blizzard's Paul Sams on GamesIndustry.biz talking with the Blizzard COO specifically about Battle.net, and what to expect as they evolve their online service with some recently announced changes. They are intent on finding out what sort of fees or charges may be coming, but do not get anything concrete, though Sams does say: "It's certainly possible that there could be a charging mechanism at some point - we're looking at all possibilities for each of the areas of Battle.net."

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Blizzard on Battle.net Sep 2, 2009, 13:16 Agent.X7

Enlighten us then confucius.

Why, are you too lazy to look up FACT and OPINION on Google?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Blizzard on Battle.net Sep 1, 2009, 09:00 Verno

Enlighten us then confucius.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

38. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Sep 1, 2009, 08:45 Agent.X7

Why is it dumbasses always confuse facts with opinions?

Why is it dumbasses don't base opinions on fact instead of their imaginary scenarios?

Because they mistake their opinions for facts, or can't differentiate the two. I guess if they knew the difference, then they wouldn't be dumbasses. Or they'd be slightly less dumb, at least.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

37. Re: Blizzard on Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 19:52 The PC Warrior

There's always a first time. It sounds like they're ready to start. Sooner or later everything ends badly otherwise it wouldn't end.

Doesn't change the fact that multiplayer is still free so I'm confused what you're so upset about.

36. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 19:47 Cutter

It sucks and I don't like WoW for it but when has Blizzard ever done wrong by PC gamers?

There's always a first time. It sounds like they're ready to start. Sooner or later everything ends badly otherwise it wouldn't end.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

35. Re: Blizzard on Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 19:24 wolve

Blizzard might charge for marketplace / DLC / microtransactions/ etc?! Ohhh nooooeeesss!!!!111 Heaven forbid they follow the same route so many other game developers have.

It also cracks me up ever time people take any Blizzard quote about monetizing Battle.net out of context and assume it will cost additional money just to play Starcraft or Diablo 3 online. Blizzard has stated multiple times that playing those games on Battle.net will not cost extra.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 19:26.

34. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 18:59 Zanthar

I hope they charge $50/month to keep away all the uneducated/unwashed, masses.  

33. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 17:21 4D-Boxing

Sempai

Greed,Greed,Greed.
Suits,Business,Suits.
Bobby Kotick,Greed,Bobby Kotick.
Activision,Blizzard,Activision.
Greed,Greed,Greed.

Sushh shushhh nobody is supposed to know that man! There is no money to be made on the PC. We are all pirates & the money is on consoles! These guys are trying to squeeze blood out of a rock... lol...just had to..

No real opinion on this...sorry

32. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 17:12 The PC Warrior

I'd pay for battle.net if the features warranted it. Blizzard has never really done me wrong. I eventually came to hate WoW but any MMO is going to get old and stale when it has to suit so many different types of people. They can't really innovate with WoW, it's far too large of a product and there's too much money at stake. It sucks and I don't like WoW for it but when has Blizzard ever done wrong by PC gamers? You guys should have a little faith.  

31. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.n Aug 31, 2009, 16:51 Silent Bob

No usenet integration = no sale  

30. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 16:37 Krovven

Why is it dumbasses don't base opinions on fact instead of their imaginary scenarios?

Blizzard has already said that Starcraft 2 will be freely playable over B.Net 2.0 for those that purchase the game.

Could they charge for the use of B.Net? Sure. Does it mean they will? Probably not, based on what they have been saying. Will they continue to research ways of making money from their services? Of course, it's their job. Could they charge for additional functions/services via B.Net? Yes, and they probably will, based on what they have been saying.

Offering a subscription fee system to gain access to their games (without purchasing them outright, ie: GameTap) is not so far fetched, and certainly not anything to get riled up about, as the other option is still there to buy the games and not pay a fee.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 16:37.

29. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 15:02 Cutter

Wonder if they will provide a none bloated version where i can opt out of friends lists, instant messaging achievements badges avatars blizzard-store banners twitter facebook etc where all it offers is a way to play multi showing the actual ping to the ones I am playing and a way to play single player without actually having to use battlenet at all. That is the version of battlnet I want.

+1. Ditto. My thoughts exactly. If they decide to charge for bare bones I simply won't use it. If they charge for "premium" crap, I have zero interest in that stuff anyway so I really don't care. Seems like this could be my last waltz with Blizzard though. the mroe a company gets into nickel and diming me, the more I say 'buh-bye' untill we part ways entirely.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 15:00 nin

So, sorry for being so long-winded in this letter

I found it quite funny.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:56 Verno

Verno that 'complaint' letter is a joke from a site like this:

http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

On second thought those are fairly amusing and I will use it as fuel for future Jerykk debates, thanks

26. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:54 dagger

I have a few points of contention with Mr. Verno. So, without further ado, I present you with this all-important piece of information: Verno contends that his newsgroup postings are a breath of fresh air amid our modern culture's toxic cloud of chaos and that, therefore, no one is smart enough to see through his transparent lies. This bizarre pattern of thinking leads to strange conclusions. For example, it convinces flighty, vitriolic champions of deceit, lies, theft, plunder, and rapine (as distinct from the rude dopeheads who prefer to chirrup while hopping from cloud to cloud in Nephelococcygia) that the rules don't apply to Verno. In reality, contrariwise, Verno is deeply involved emotionally in his attack on truth and reality. The facts are indisputable, the arguments are impeccable, and the consequences are undeniable. So why does Verno assert that he has the linguistic prowess to produce a masterwork of meritorious literature? You see, he spouts a lot of numbers whenever he wants to make a point. He then subjectively interprets those numbers to support his endeavors while ignoring the fact that if he truly believes that all it takes to solve our social woes are shotgun marriages, heavy-handed divorce laws, and a return to some mythical 1950s Shangri-la, then maybe he should enroll in Introduction to Reality 101. So, sorry for being so long-winded in this letter, but Mr. Verno's stratagems are merely a fig leaf that hides his efforts to fragment the nation into politically disharmonious units.  

25. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:53 dagger

Verno that 'complaint' letter is a joke from a site like this:

http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

24. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:37 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

23. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:30 Verno

Damn, and I thought the PC was a single platform.
You got me there! I run out and buy me a console now! Later!

You're the one complaining about having to use Steam alongside other services. The industry can come up with a unified service but that's pretty much just like being a console and there's little consumer benefit to a non-competitive market. So did you have anything serious to add or were you just doing a mediocre job of trolling?

What could they introduce for a fee? private games? (Xbox Gold FAIL) High quality custom maps that are extremely popular? (Semi fail, but there were some amazing WC3 and SC maps I admit. Nothing I'd pay for, but these guys do deserve something for the hundreds of hours that go into some maps)

No one knows yet and I suspect that's why people are so upset right now. The speculation is that the official clan/guild functions like tournaments with spectator support and whatnot will be fee based. I think plain old multiplayer will always be free on battle.net and to me that's what is important.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 14:34.

22. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:27 Rhett

Well, I dunno, I wouldn't pay for it unless I had to (if you think about it, SC2 requires you to log into BNET, so unless SC2 is secretly an MMO with a Pay-2-Play system, they won't charge for BNET unless it's unnecessary tools or abilities that you otherwise wouldn't need.

Cross-game chat would not be fee-based I'd imagine... I mean, come on, who buys ONE blizzard game? Everyone on your friend list is going to be playing one of 3 different blizzard games if they're online, and so will you (assuming you too are online)...

What could they introduce for a fee? private games? (Xbox Gold FAIL) High quality custom maps that are extremely popular? (Semi fail, but there were some amazing WC3 and SC maps I admit. Nothing I'd pay for, but these guys do deserve something for the hundreds of hours that go into some maps)

I dunno. I just want SC2 already.

21. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:27 Muscular Beaver

Well you don't like having multiple platforms, you said it yourself. The alternative is having a single platform in that case. Something tells me you wouldn't like that side of things either if you have a problem with a company like Blizzard who provides plenty of value for their consumers. I guess my point is to be careful what you wish for.

Damn, and I thought the PC was a single platform.
You got me there! I run out and buy me a console now! Later!

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo