Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The Examiner - On Boycotting (or not) Orson Scott Card's SHADOW COMPLEX.
Indeed, much of the heavy lifting was done by Peter David, a straight writer-geek who is about as gay positive as you can get. And while the EMPIRE universe Card created depicts, according to Wikipedia, a "...A radical leftist army calling itself the Progressive Restoration [that] takes over New York City and declares itself the rightful government of the United States," by most accounts, the game itself is very apolitical, and might, according to some writers, even subvert that entire premise.

Gus Mastrapa, writing at Wired, argues the game should be boycotted, even in light of the minimal role Card played, especially since there are "dozens of talented science fiction writers" who could have been brought onto the project, all without the baggage of Card.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2009, 15:55 Prez

Then you're actively damaging the console industry to boot!

That's why I buy used Xbox 360 and PS3 games, even though I don't own a console!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2009, 09:26 Verno

I'm not buying an Xbox.

Why not? You can get a broken Xbox on ebay for like $30-50 and fix it yourself in about 30 minutes, assuming any competence with computer hardware. You don't need Xbox Live Gold to download stuff on Arcade either. You can have a working Xbox for less than the cost of a retail PC game and all it will take is a bit of time and a Torx-10 screwdriver.

It's extremely easy to get into the console market without supporting "the man". No one holds a gun to your head and makes you buy overpriced peripherals or games despite what others may have you believe and there are some genuinely awesome console games that no one should miss out on. Hell, go buy used games even! Then you're actively damaging the console industry to boot!

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2009, 10:31.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

34. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2009, 04:06 StingingVelvet

I don't care about his political leanings, I only care about the game being good. Sadly I only have a gaming PC and PS3, so I guess I miss out anyway. I'm not buying an Xbox.

As for gay marriage, I don't really care either way, I don't think marriage should be a legal process anyway. Give everyone civil unions.

33. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 21:53 Prez

What I find ironic is that when media is released with a decidedly leftist radical slant, people invoke the concept of free speech. When something is released by a radical right winger, suddenly free speech goes out the window.

I have no interest in the politics, values, or beliefs of any of the people who work on the games I play. I care that it's a good game. Period.

In truth, radicals of any stripe worry me, be they right or left. But radical leftists for some strange reason are far more accepted in today's society. Either way, I play games to forget about bullshit like divisive politics, not get buried neck-deep in them.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 15:39 Flatline

OSC is pretty much a complete asshat, and reading his nonfiction Op Eds it comes screaming through in an egotistical sort of way. I have a couple friends who met him before they knew he was an author, and he was such a dickhead to them that they can't separate the work from the creator.

I can however. Ender's Game was lightening striking, and while his prose is easy to get into, I find everything he's written since then to not be of the same quality.

He sort of reminds me of Gibson in that manner. His early work is far, far stronger than his later work, in part because his inexperience and his lack of polish is replaced by raw passion.

That being said, I don't care what Shadow Complex is based on. It's like complaining that any of the myriad of Tom Clancy games have his name on it. Like HAWX. Is that even *mentioned* in any of his novels? I thought they just took place "in the Clancyverse" and he reviewed all the tech used to ensure that it fit with modern and quasi-future military tech.

31. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 12:47 Verno

Verno, once again you take up the mantle as champion of TEH consoles and Microsoft!

I don't really care about Microsoft as a company, they just make a console and I sometimes buy games for it if they are fun. I own like 5 consoles right now btw, everything from a PSP to a 360. I even GASP, own a gaming PC!

He complimented a console exclusive game, and you called him close-minded? WTF?

I call him close minded because he has several points in the past indicated that he would never own a Microsoft console product as some sort of silly gaming political statement. Miss out on tons of great games that way but whatever

Also InBlack, still waiting for your answer on that advertising market in the EU that does no advertising yet has sales bigger than the US. Here's a helpful link straight to it :)

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 12:56.

30. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 09:44 InBlack

Verno, once again you take up the mantle as champion of TEH consoles and Microsoft!

He complimented a console exclusive game, and you called him close-minded? WTF?

Did he include a reference where he shits all over consoles and MS? Did he offend you in some personal way that we didnt catch?
Did you consder the fact that maybe he, like many others cant afford 2 or more gaming systems, or perhaps just doesnt want a console??

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 08:42 Verno

I haven't played Shadow Complex (and likely never will since MS is going to make sure it never hits the PC) but from what I've heard, it's pretty good.

It's an amazing Castlevania/Metroid style game, probably the best I've seen since Symphony of the Night. It's a shame you'll never play it due to being so close minded but hey, your loss!

28. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 07:32 Dr. D. Schreber

I think I'll just keep quietly hoping against hope that Mass Effect 2's gay romance option won't hurl terrible Brokeback Mountain-esque cliches at me until I cry, rather than get fired up over one of the less-relevant homophobes around.

But I don't see how that has anything to do with a videogame ever-so-slightly based off his work. I mean, a lot of people love Battlefield Earth, but that doesn't make them scientologists.

.....wat.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

27. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 06:47 The PC Warrior

Umbragen, you are the kind of person that makes me nervous in regards to America's future. If you can't see the reality of the current administration's goals, you are delusional. They want to control everything. Think about it. As for the game; who cares?

Every site has to have one of you I guess.

26. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 05:46 ibm

I would have thought that earlier in development someone on the dev team had the bright idea of telling someone it's inspired or set in OSC writings, he heard about it, contacted his lawyers and the rest is history.

Even among sci fi geeky gamers he isn't the most well known author, not least because these days people only really get their sci fi from TV.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 05:49.

25. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 05:03 peteham

What I don't get is why they needed Orson Scott Card's name there in the first place. It may share the same universe as some of his novels, but the actual story is not the attraction here. It's basically a puddle-deep, cliched little thing that would've taken any competent writer all of 11 seconds to think of. About five minutes into the game, the only one who hasn't figured out exactly what's going on is our brave hero...

But heck, what do I know. Maybe to someone who's read the novels there some sort of brillint tie-in not noticeable by muggles like myself Anyway, aside from getting to pay OSC X amount of royalties, I can't really see what the developer got out of this deal. Perhaps some initial buzz, but considering the game is very good on its own I doubt it's been much help.

24. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 04:24 space captain

Did you make sure to wear your tin foil hat before thinking such thoughts?

dont blame him - im already controlling his brain with radiowaves via remote control. i made him say that

but now the game has changed. im gonna have to dose him with BZ again, try to clean up this mess

Go forth, and kill!

23. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 04:16 Yifes

Umbragen, you are the kind of person that makes me nervous in regards to America's future. If you can't see the reality of the current administration's goals, you are delusional. They want to control everything. Think about it.

Did you make sure to wear your tin foil hat before thinking such thoughts? Pssst, the secret police is coming for you! They can track you through the intarwebs! Rally the militia! It's time to raise our pitchforks and overthrow this oppressive fascist government!

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 04:19.

22. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 03:35 Jerykk

So... getting back on topic, I usually try to separate people from their work. While I may disagree with someone's opinions and beliefs, if they produce good work, that's all that matters to me. I'm not trying to be friends, I just want to enjoy what he's made. I haven't played Shadow Complex (and likely never will since MS is going to make sure it never hits the PC) but from what I've heard, it's pretty good.  

21. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 01:22 MrBone

Umbragen, you are the kind of person that makes me nervous in regards to America's future. If you can't see the reality of the current administration's goals, you are delusional. They want to control everything. Think about it. As for the game; who cares?  

20. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 01:12 Johnny R

maleitch--seriously? Your post is so stupid it actually makes me suspect you're a leftist pretending to be a conservative to make conservatives look even dumber than they already are.

But let's assume you are as dumb as you appear to be. Not only are you dumb, you did, in fact, tell a lie.

You claimed that Obama sent out union members to beat up health care protesters. This is not only a lie, it is a stupid lie, for even if you are dumb enough to believe that Obama is a Tony-Soprano-style goon, you have to be REALLY dumb to claim that he personally ordered people to beat up protesters. Really, really dumb.

But I'll play along. Wow, maleitch--that's quite a startling accusation you've made. Say ... would you care to share your "sources" for such a serious charge? Sources who can provide, like, you know--"evidence"?

19. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 00:53 maleitch

You can always tell when you strike a never with a moonbat, they claim a lie has been told with no refutation.

Oh and Umb...your guys controlled congress since 2006...thanks for the record deficit.

18. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 00:03 Umbragen

You can always tell when you strike a nerve with a wing-nut, they have an almost preprogrammed response - lies, laced with invective. It's hard to believe they completely controlled the government just a few short years ago; blame the gullible.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 00:04.

17. fuck em if they cant take a joke Aug 30, 2009, 22:19 space captain

ive been boycotting humanity for years  
Go forth, and kill!

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo