Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War II Free DLC Details

The Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - The Last Stand DLC Exclusive First Look on GameSpy has details on The Last Stand, the recently revealed upcoming free DLC release for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II focusing on co-op play in Relic's RTS sequel. They offer a video, screenshots, and hands-on impressions, here's a bit:

Enter the free new downloadable Dawn of War II game mode, The Last Stand. It's completely cooperative, with your opponents controlled by an A.I. who wants one thing: you, dead. Your team consists of three player-controlled heroes -- players can choose from the Space Marine, the Ork, and the Eldar -- whose sole task is to fight against wave after wave of increasingly difficult enemy forces. With little downtime between waves, players have to do their damnedest to keep their multiplier up, so as to ensure a high score and earn experience to level their characters. And to get a higher multiplier players have to control various map points, defeat sequential waves with no casualties, or kill all the enemies in a wave within a preset amount of time.

That probably sounds like a lot, but in practice The Last Stand amounts to killing everything you see. And even if you die or don't hold the control points, your team can up your score simply by surviving. After all, since score and experience are the main reason you're playing, you never really lose, but instead just gain levels and win new pieces of gear to use in subsequent battles. So even in defeat you're rewarded. The result (if you have teammates you get along with) is a desire to jump right back into the fight again and again in order to level your character, equip new items, and get just a little bit further than before.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 18:17 Rhett

Again if anyone missed my post below, there are mods that simulate this type of gameplay (and are MP-ready).

http://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war-2

Just scroll down.

If anyone wanted to try this, atleast. I'm sure Last Stand will be better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 16:32 Krovven

Difference here is that you level up and you get rewarded for your efforts via item drops.

L4D Survival you are simply playing to beat the clock, everytime.

I got DoW2 for free for participating in a playtest session, and have barely played it, getting to maybe Day 9, Day 1 thru 6 were in a coop session. I've had no interest in playing MP online really.

This DLC though is something I could see myself playing with a couple friends that do seem to enjoy the game.

13. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 16:09 Prez

Well we know how well that turned out for the L4D Survival mode...boring. Having some tasks to do while holding off the waves should equal better gameplay.

It's funny - someone must like these un-winnable modes like survival for L4D, as they keep being made, but I find them interesting for all of 10 minutes. I can't stand a game mode in which the ending is pre-determined. Like James Kirk, I don't believe in the no-win scenario.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

12. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 15:53 Tumbler

Each level you gain gets you one more item for you to equip on your hero in future battles, allowing you to customize your character's load-out to work best for how you want to play.

This feature sounds great. I'd like them to continue in this direction with the MP side of the game so that as you increase in rank those little cosmetic upgrades change into real items you can equip on your guys to give your army more personality.

The SP side of the game did some of this allowing you to take all sorts of things that could personalize your squads/characters. But in the MP side of the game you're stuck with the preset load outs on everything. Your army is always the same as another person playing the same army.

It would be awesome if you could build your army the way you do in the tabletop game to have exactly what you want.

It would take a lot of time to balance all those items you see in the SP side but I'd be very interested in playing that on the MP side. It's fun to get surprised, enemy scouts show up with artillery strikes primed and waiting, or the force commander throws out a set of anti personnel mines. No reason to limit what options a player has, let the player do that so we can see a wider variety of armies.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 15:42 Krovven

I just want to stand somewhere with a few guys and keep fighting until the swarms finally kill us.

Well we know how well that turned out for the L4D Survival mode...boring. Having some tasks to do while holding off the waves should equal better gameplay.

10. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 15:41 Prez

Gotta love free DLC. Thanks Relic!!  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

9. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 15:24 strich

After picking up Dawn of War last week, i'm stoked about this. I'm still enjoying the single player campaign right now, but this game doesn't seem to have a lack of add-ons and expansions.

color me happy

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

8. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 14:44 Geico Caveman

Will this make the game fun?

The magic 8-ball says FUCK NO.

7. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 14:43 Geico Caveman

Had a chance to pick this one up on Steam at 50% off and passed. I don't regret that decision for a SECOND.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2009, 14:43.

6. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 14:42 Rhett

I point you guys here:

http://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war-2

A few mods already do this sort of 'mode' in DoW2 and it's pretty fun, but they're all pretty basic. Still worth trying them though!

Cope's Defense is the only one I've tried, there was also a hero defense but I don't see it anymore. The First Stand is also new, based off this game mode.

Cheers and enjoy

5. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 14:37 Creston

Free = awesome.

The game mode sounds a bit gimmicky, to be honest. You have to keep up multipliers, and you have to control points, and you have to this, and you have to that.

I just want to stand somewhere with a few guys and keep fighting until the swarms finally kill us. Leveling up and gaining new items in the meantime is very cool though.

Again, free = awesome.

Creston

4. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 14:28 Caveman

Damn, everything is survival these days, oh well it's free and look forward to it with much joy.  

3. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 14:20 BobBob

Will this make the game fun?  

2. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 14:05 cK

I heard that! Can't wait for this.  

1. Re: Dawn of War II Free DLC Details Aug 28, 2009, 13:38 aesir05

bring it on already !  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >