Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MW2 Beta Follow-up

Final word on MW2 beta rumors on IAMfourzerotwo is a blog update by Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling to "clarify the supposed 'news' coming out of GameCom this morning regarding no MW2 Beta." If you think this means he'll deny reports from this morning that there will be no public beta for the military shooter sequel you will be disappointed, as he says: "It is true that we have not announced a Public Beta for MW2, and that remains true unless I announce otherwise." He then indicates that a public beta will only happen if necessary: "Once the internal beta is completed, if for any reason we feel we didnít receive the feedback, address the issues, or have the result we expect. We would consider pushing forward with a public one, however at this point only an internal Closed Beta is planned." So after clarifying that the "supposed news" is actually news, it seems the real goal here is to offer reassurances that the lack of a public beta will not hurt the quality of the game:

That said, any fears that no Public Beta will result in any quality loss in the final multiplayer game is completely unfounded; Multiplayer has always been and will always remain a major focus for the team at Infinity Ward and we would never ship a product we didnít feel lived up to the high standards we hold ourselves to.

While we love public betas for all the obvious reasons, an internal Closed Beta allows us the extra freedom and flexibility to give the entire multiplayer a chance to be widely beta tested without requiring excess development time simply to prep the game for public release instead of an internal beta test which is ran on dev kits / test kits. That fact alone, allows us to have a smoother and faster process of iteration when addressing issues and pushing fixes out to beta participants.

This decision allows us to deliver a more polished experience, which in the end, is what we all want.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: MW2 Beta Follow-up Aug 20, 2009, 11:34 Ant

Was there any betas in previous CoD games? I only remember playable demos. Demos are good enough for me.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: MW2 Beta Follow-up Aug 20, 2009, 08:24 Lokust

Very sad to dig deeper into this and find it's not about a new mechwarrior game.  

7. Re: MW2 Beta Follow-up Aug 20, 2009, 07:35 Dr. D. Schreber

Who cares? Why do some people seem to think an open beta is some sort of required part of the end-user experience or, worse, act like an open beta is an early demo?

For that matter, why does everyone care about demos? Considering the amount of exposure to a game a demo gives you, you can easily form the same impressions by watching a few Youtube clips. Why so many people are unable to make a reasonable guess about a gameplay experience is bizarre to me, when exposure these days is tenfold more than it used to be in the dark ages of closely examining every screenshot, feature preview and review in EGM and Gamepro, hoping against hope that they were accurately depicting the end experience for you, the individual reader.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

6. Re: MW2 Beta Follow-up Aug 20, 2009, 07:32  Blue 

Stop confusing us, Blue. This site is frequented by people* who have been around long enough that MW2 can only ever mean MechWarrior 2.

* And surely you're one of them?

I surely am. But I surely also know that MechWarrior 2 is out of beta.

I find CoH for both City of Heroes and Company of Heroes more confusing, since they are more contemporaries of each other.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: MW2 Beta Follow-up Aug 20, 2009, 07:25 Armengar

ah yes. good old PPC's with shoddy heatsinks.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

4. Re: MW2 Beta Follow-up Aug 20, 2009, 06:56 Shadowcat

Stop confusing us, Blue. This site is frequented by people* who have been around long enough that MW2 can only ever mean MechWarrior 2.

* And surely you're one of them?

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2009, 06:56.

3. Re: MW2 Beta Follow-up Aug 20, 2009, 03:55 Rilcon

God damnit, I thought this was about MechWarrior or something -_-  

2. Re: MW2 Beta Follow-up Aug 20, 2009, 01:49 necrosis

It came up with jacking the PC price $10 for no reason.

Honestly why there is no MP beta/demo (I have given up on even thinking a game will have a beta/demo before launch since they started (1) just not having them (2) charging for them) is moot to asking them why its $10 more.

1. Re: MW2 Beta Follow-up Aug 19, 2009, 20:41 DangerDog

Surprised they're not doing one of those 'pay to play' betas.

Come on Activision, where is your sense of greed?

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo