Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wolfenstein Patch, Server

The first patch is available for Wolfenstein, updating Raven's newly released paranormal shooter to version 1.1, accompanied by a version 1.1 dedicated server for the hosting of multiplayer games. The new version addresses a number of bugs, and also offers some enhancements, like the ability to change crosshairs from the menu, separate bindings for "use" and "item," and new quick chat bindings. The patch is available for download from ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and The Patches Scrolls; while the server is available from AtomicGamer, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and The Patches Scrolls.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Wolfenstein Patch, Server Aug 19, 2009, 22:34 Simulant

Ok... I've played single player for a few hours and I'm disappointed. Graphics aren't that great except for the faces which are animated well at times. Textures look like crap up close, in sharp contrast to whatever you are holding. It feels like a console game. Movement is too jerky with a mouse. Lots of graphical glitches (mostly aliasing, which there are no settings for)

It just doesn't feel right and really can't compete with COD/Crysis.
Not even in the same league, graphically or gameplay wise.

I love the cheesy Indiana Jones vs the Nazis thing but I don't know.... something is wrong. It doesn't help that the interface was obviously designed for a console and anything to make a mouse more useful was a concession.

As far as I'm concerned, it's now official. XBox players have lower standards and ID just lowered theirs. This is no way as good on PC as the XBOX 360 reviews make it sound. Haven't seen any PC reviews yet.

This would have been a pretty good game 3 or 4 years ago but now I'm sorry I shelled out 50 bucks for it.

As for multiplayer.... there is some back to basics fun potential but we'll all be playing Moder Warfare 2 in a short while anyway.

Oh well... The sound is really good.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Wolfenstein Patch, Server Aug 19, 2009, 11:38 StingingVelvet

The game is pretty fun... it is basically Quake 4, a singleplayer focused and simple sequel to a previous game that was more innovative. If you liked Quake 4, or simple singleplayer FPS games, you will like Wolfenstein. Just don't expect Crysis or Half-Life 2.

The "consolization" is dissapointing. Not many visual settings and the game looks pretty old... not bad, at some times even impressive, but old. The manual only talks about the 360 controller, which is ridiculous, and even though id Tech4 has had AA before, many times, this game is so far not offering it. I'm sure someone will figure out how to force it at some point.

There is a patch already, 1.1, but it seems to be sketchy at best. It says it enables a crosshair menu, but for the life of me I cannot find it, and the standard crosshair is terrible.

8. Re: Wolfenstein Patch, Server Aug 19, 2009, 03:56 CreamyBlood

I'm wondering how the multiplayer will work out. Nerve did an excellent job on the class and objective based gameplay in RTCW and Splash Damage took it to new levels with both W:ET and Quake Wars. I'm just hoping the MP wasn't an after-thought and horibbly 'streamlined' and 'simplified'.

7. Re: Wolfenstein Patch, Server Aug 19, 2009, 00:58 Icewind

If it helps, the area in Wolfenstein is extremely small, so getting from point a to point b takes all of 2 minutes.  

6. Re: Wolfenstein Patch, Server Aug 19, 2009, 00:57 toon

I've played 2 hours of it and I have to say I'm impressed. I loved Far Cry 2, and this game is basically a WW2 copy of FC2 with elements of Bioshock and FEAR.

I know it sounds like a mess, but it works. There is a central game hub where you can undertake missions (some are main quest missions, some are side quests) and you gain money to upgrade your weapons/powers.

So, as I sdaid, it's Far Cry 2 in a WW2 setting.

Minus the constant god awful respawns.

Ugh, but Far Cry 2 was basically a singleplayer MMO.. Go to A, pick up B, return to C. Expect to spend 20 minutes walking. I realized this about an hour in and was sooo disapointed..

5. Re: Wolfenstein Patch, Server Aug 18, 2009, 22:35 Icewind

I've played 2 hours of it and I have to say I'm impressed. I loved Far Cry 2, and this game is basically a WW2 copy of FC2 with elements of Bioshock and FEAR.

I know it sounds like a mess, but it works. There is a central game hub where you can undertake missions (some are main quest missions, some are side quests) and you gain money to upgrade your weapons/powers.

So, as I sdaid, it's Far Cry 2 in a WW2 setting.

Minus the constant god awful respawns.

4. Re: Wolfenstein Patch Aug 18, 2009, 19:17 LittleMe

MuzixMon, good points. It is id/raven after all. For me, there is so much coming out this fall that although I want to buy an id game because it's id, I probably won't. ATI's new card, and about 5 RPG's this fall as well as OF:DR don't bode well for my budget.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: Wolfenstein Patch Aug 18, 2009, 18:05 Beamer

I don't trust the lack of advance reviews.
I didn't see anything go up before ship.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Wolfenstein Patch Aug 18, 2009, 17:59 MuzixMon

I picked it up today and played it for an hour or so and my first impressions are positive. Sure we've all been there and done that but this game seems to hold my attention pretty good surprisingly. I'm sure many will bash it for it's familiar style but it's got a few different things thrown in the mix to keep it fresh. If you are a fan of id & Raven's games then get it, it'll be like revisiting some fun familiar territory. Oh and by the way there seems to be well over a hundred servers that are populated already so that's a good sign. Plus there is NO DRM bullshit except the good ole CDKey and disk check that we've been used to for years. You only need the disk in the drive for single player which is cool.  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

1. Re: Wolfenstein Patch Aug 18, 2009, 15:19 DangerDog

Is this the patch that makes the game, well you know fun?  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo