Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage

This EVE Online Dev Blog has more on CCP's efforts at curbing real-money transactions in EVE Online, their sci-fi MMORPG, describing a campaign against RMT they've dubbed "Unholy Rage." As part of this effort, they recently banned over 6200 paying accounts in one shot, and the post goes into what the culprits were doing and how they were caught. Thanks Massively.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 21:43 creatorswhim

CCP never have or never will do anything for the greater good beyond the value of the dollar.

You know, not everyone is American. Don't force your cultural assumptions on others.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 11:55 Kxmode

Look above Delwin. Wink  

12. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 11:05 Delwin

Banhammer

I just want to know who from Goonswarm R&D spilled the name of one of our secret projects. Then again we never actually tried it as we knew full well it'd get us all banned (thus the name).

11. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 10:37 Tumbler

If game companies really want to deal with this, design games w/o player->player transactions. Because otherwise real-world cash for in-game items is inevitable.

That sounds like a horrible idea. I'm not sure if you're thinking only of currency transactions but if you really wanted to deal with this you'd have to disable any item sharing/selling as well. Because if currency wasn't able to be traded they'd just trade in items, or resources, or something that players wanted. Disabling all of that would take a major portion of most MMO's out of the game, the in game economy.

CCP is taking the right approach to this. Allowing players to buy these game time codes internally gives players on the outside a way to use their real world cash to buy in game currency by selling these 1 time use disposable items that other players obviously want. Most players aren't going to buy these game time codes every month, and if they do the price will go up and it will become a self correcting problem. At worst it means there will be more players in the game more often which is better for everyone.

It's the best solution all things considered. People who want to buy isk. So CCP sells an item that has great value on the internal game market. Other players not wanting to spend money see a greater reason to spend time inside the game playing, in order to buy these items. No gold farmers, no ebay bullshit, no scams. Just a simple elegant solution.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

10. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 09:43 Ginny

What this guy said over on the comments page on massively. Pretty much sums up ccp and my personal dealings with them over the years.

"While I would like to share your viewpoint and respect CCP for banning paying customers in order to stick to their principles, the reality is that they stand to make MORE money by banning people that engage in RMT, and I can guarantee you that they've crunched the numbers on this and aren't doing it out of a sense of altruism, fairness, or 'doing the right thing.' They are a business, and their goal is make money, period. They may say they're doing it to help legitimate players, and you may believe them, but hey that's the value of good PR and a slick-talking marketing department I guess."

CCP never have or never will do anything for the greater good beyond the value of the dollar.

9. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 08:32 shponglefan

If game companies really want to deal with this, design games w/o player->player transactions. Because otherwise real-world cash for in-game items is inevitable.  

8. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 05:28 Unknown Soldier

And a fifth of Goonswarm vanished without a trace...

except goons don't macro or RMT... we are too busy with our buttes and donges

edit: besides we have the best space in the game now, why would we need to???

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2009, 05:29.

7. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 04:39 InBlack

Money, or ISK can only buy you so much in EVE. It cant really upgrade your character. You cant "speed" train your skills. All you can really do with it is buy better ships or equipment. Which is kind of pointless if you dont have the skills to use them...  

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 03:59 Scottso

Considering they spent 5 years+ working on a solution that would make their customer base happy and still screw over the gold farmers, I don't know where you get the impression that they were "surprised."

The point is that in-game anything goes. But when you start using your out-of-game resources to make yourself better (like your money) than everyone else then they may as well make sure that money gets channeled back into the game where it benefits everyone in the long run. Seeing the big picture means looking beyond what it does for you directly.

5. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 03:45 Stormsinger

I still find it rather funny that it's okay to fuck over CCP's customers pretty much any way you like...but don't you dare try to make any money from their -game-. Personally, I'd expect that any game developers that pick the griefer crowd as their preferred customers would inherently have a lot of players who also don't much care how the devs want them to behave. But for some reason, they always seem to be so surprised about it...

4. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 01:06 Kxmode

Banspanner

I like that!

3. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 01:06 AnarKane

And a fifth of Goonswarm vanished without a trace...  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

2. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 17, 2009, 23:49 Mead

Banspanner  

1. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 17, 2009, 22:55 Kxmode

Banhammer sounds too fantasy-ish. We need another name... how about... stunbeam! Or, Banishment!

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2009, 22:55.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo