Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Champions Online Beta Status

The Champions Online Website has the promised update on issues with the launch of beta testing of Cryptic's MMORPG from Bill "Chronomancer" Roper. The first part of the update outlines the problems users experienced and what caused them, while the second part describes how things stand right now:

There is now a new build of the installer at fileplanet.com that addresses the incorrect file placement and patch size, as well as a known Windows 64 Bit issue. We tried to keep the new install a simple single-file .exe autoextract, but those can't be bigger than 2GB in size. This requires players to do a second ~300MB patch after newly installing the game. If you previously downloaded the game from fileplanet.com, you do not need to do so again. The latest version of our patcher will move the incorrectly installed files and not require the previously massive patch.

Some players are currently experiencing issues where the Patcher can “freeze.” The main problem is we’re delivering a 400 MB patch to ~20,000 people simultaneously. At the current speed, the patching crush should clear up in about six hours. We are also currently working with our hosting partner to deploy more patch servers.

We appreciate the patience of our testers and hope that you’ll all stick in there as we go through our first day of getting the huge number of moving parts that is putting an MMO out there meshing together.

View
10. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 03:50 Stormsinger

I won't play a game that requires me to provide them bandwidth to patch other players' installations (I immediately disabled torrents for WoW's patcher, and downloaded my patches from Fileplanet). They're the ones making the money, -they- can pay for the bandwidth.

That said, providing the bandwidth for that initial surge is -very- expensive...which is one of the many reasons I don't object to a monthly subscription. Frankly, if the game doesn't impress the beancounters enough to gamble the costs of the bandwidth, then they'd be better off just cutting their losses and never opening at all.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Aug 17, 22:55 Re: Champions Online Beta Status PropheT
  2. Aug 17, 23:02  Re: Champions Online Beta Status Talisorn
  3. Aug 17, 23:02  Re: Champions Online Beta Status ldonyo
  4. Aug 17, 23:13   Re: Champions Online Beta Status Talisorn
  5. Aug 17, 23:38   Re: Champions Online Beta Status Cutter
  6. Aug 18, 01:10    Re: Champions Online Beta Status Kxmode
  7. Aug 18, 01:13     Re: Champions Online Beta Status Kxmode
  8. Aug 18, 01:35 Re: Champions Online Beta Status PropheT
  9. Aug 18, 01:45  Re: Champions Online Beta Status Kxmode
>> 10. Aug 18, 03:50   Re: Champions Online Beta Status Stormsinger