Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Champions Online Beta Status

The Champions Online Website has the promised update on issues with the launch of beta testing of Cryptic's MMORPG from Bill "Chronomancer" Roper. The first part of the update outlines the problems users experienced and what caused them, while the second part describes how things stand right now:

There is now a new build of the installer at fileplanet.com that addresses the incorrect file placement and patch size, as well as a known Windows 64 Bit issue. We tried to keep the new install a simple single-file .exe autoextract, but those can't be bigger than 2GB in size. This requires players to do a second ~300MB patch after newly installing the game. If you previously downloaded the game from fileplanet.com, you do not need to do so again. The latest version of our patcher will move the incorrectly installed files and not require the previously massive patch.

Some players are currently experiencing issues where the Patcher can “freeze.” The main problem is we’re delivering a 400 MB patch to ~20,000 people simultaneously. At the current speed, the patching crush should clear up in about six hours. We are also currently working with our hosting partner to deploy more patch servers.

We appreciate the patience of our testers and hope that you’ll all stick in there as we go through our first day of getting the huge number of moving parts that is putting an MMO out there meshing together.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 14:19 Kxmode

That's an entirely different problem Hyatus  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 12:18 Hyatus

I think the big problem is that, I believe, the retail release is less than a month away and this game is far from ready, let alone ready to be asking a lifetime sub from.  

15. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 11:53 Kxmode

He wrote simultaneously meaning 20,000 people are trying to connect at the same time. I don't think most servers can handle a load that large esp if it involves serving a 400MB file. The torrent option should be used. Spread the load between the patching servers and player's computers.  

14. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 09:14 ASJD

"The main problem is we’re delivering a 400 MB patch to ~20,000 people simultaneously."

If you're making a MMO and your servers can't handle 20,000 people, you've already failed, utterly.

13. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 08:13 kanniballl

Yes, I was. And Star Wars Galaxies, and many other bad launches. I'm sick of it, frankly, and companies like Cryptic that have done all of this before should know better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the BETA release?

Then what's all of the complaining about?

This is exactly the kind of issue Beta's made to catch, especially in an MMORPG. Big surprise, in a real-world scenario the patch module cr@pped out due to too many requests.

Too many people think Beta simply means "early access because we're special" instead of "an incomplete release to test it in a real world scenario and stamp out and final bugs." No matter what the ad on GameStop/Amazon/etc says, you're really doing this for the company (and not the other way around).

That being said, I'm probably not going to even try the game. The last thing I need is to get hooked on another hero-based MMORPG.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2009, 08:15.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 05:10 sir

I'm picturing Roper wearing a hooded robe and wielding a scythe, cackling maniacally while he typed the above update.  

11. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 04:35 Asmodai

I'm getting more and more tired of spending hours trying to figure this crap out just to get a look at games I'm not even sure I want.

Don't play beta then... = \

Hell, don't play release either, wait for a month or two until it's settled down. I'm not saying that to be sarcastic, but the people that feel entitled to perfect service in a beta test are quite frankly windowlicking morons... Does it really need to be emphatically stated that beta's are, by their nature, bug and issue prone?

As for today, meh, they handled it fairly well. If more people put in intelligent posts on the bug forum rather than "OMFG I R SO MAD AT YOU F@GS!!!!!11ELEVEN", then they might get an answer. A CSR/Dev answered my post re: a corrupted game client directly and the fix provided got the game up and running in no time.

The quality of the game is not just delivery on the dot, it's supporting it when things go wrong. All in all, today hasn't been the worst first day of open beta I've participated in, and it probably won't be the worst launch either. If issues during this period make you rage, why not avoid it all together?

10. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 03:50 Stormsinger

I won't play a game that requires me to provide them bandwidth to patch other players' installations (I immediately disabled torrents for WoW's patcher, and downloaded my patches from Fileplanet). They're the ones making the money, -they- can pay for the bandwidth.

That said, providing the bandwidth for that initial surge is -very- expensive...which is one of the many reasons I don't object to a monthly subscription. Frankly, if the game doesn't impress the beancounters enough to gamble the costs of the bandwidth, then they'd be better off just cutting their losses and never opening at all.

9. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 01:45 Kxmode

Really, there's no excuse for patch delivery problems. Don't use Fileplanet, use Torrent. Seed the content then after an couple hours pull back and let player's computers act as patch servers.  

8. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 01:35 PropheT

You weren't around for the opening months of Anarchy Online, were you? It's only the first day of Open Beta. It's not like your actually paying them for a service yet.

Yes, I was. And Star Wars Galaxies, and many other bad launches. I'm sick of it, frankly, and companies like Cryptic that have done all of this before should know better. It's the same shit, every time, and I'm getting more and more tired of spending hours trying to figure this crap out just to get a look at games I'm not even sure I want.

The point of my original post was, why would I even consider actually paying them for their service? They're already asking for people to pay for 6-month or lifetime subscriptions -right now-.

7. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 01:13 Kxmode

Some players are currently experiencing issues where the Patcher can “freeze.” The main problem is we’re delivering a 400 MB patch to ~20,000 people simultaneously. At the current speed, the patching crush should clear up in about six hours. We are also currently working with our hosting partner to deploy more patch servers.

Have they never heard of Torrent?! I mean really now...

6. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 01:10 Kxmode

Bill "Chronomancer" Roper

Bill "Flapship" Roper would be a good Villain name.

5. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 17, 2009, 23:38 Cutter

LOL! I called this from the outset. Not only would it not be a real open beta but without a preload you'd be running into these exact problems. The fact that the latter is common sense and common knowledge after so many MOG launches have gone through the same BS it says volumes about how unprepared and unprofessional Cryptic is. I love how they're trying to pass this off as intentional for server metrics. LOL, it's just sad.

This is definitely Hellgate part II. They don't want anyone to see anything beyond a basic glimpse of the game in hopes they'll pop for the client and a 3 month sub, only to find out a week or two into the game that it really sucks and they've been burned. I'll bet you don't even see a free trial for another year, or it'll be less than a week at all. They don't want anyone taking a real look at this POS.
Sure it looks great, but that's all it has going for it. Let's just hope DCUO and Marvel's MOGs are good.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is out on Sep. 15th!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 17, 2009, 23:13 Talisorn

Or City of Heroes. That was Cryptic. I wonder just how closely Champions Online will mirror City of Heroes very long and successful lifetime?

Bill Roper is only one guy on the team.

3. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 17, 2009, 23:02 ldonyo

The Hellgate: London beta was just like this. That was Bill Roper, too. I wonder just how closely Champions Online will mirror Hellgate's very short and painful lifetime?  

2. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 17, 2009, 23:02 Talisorn

This whole deal has to be one of the worst first impressions I've ever had for a game, and I haven't even gotten to play the damn thing yet.
You weren't around for the opening months of Anarchy Online, were you? It's only the first day of Open Beta. It's not like your actually paying them for a service yet.

1. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 17, 2009, 22:55 PropheT

It was impossible to get in to play it and download it, that I can accept for a beta... but before I left for work I noticed their servers asking you for $200 up front before you'd even seen the game were working fine. This whole deal has to be one of the worst first impressions I've ever had for a game, and I haven't even gotten to play the damn thing yet.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo