Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances

The Bethesda Blog clarifies statements attributed to Todd Howard saying that Bethesda had no current plans for an Elder Scrolls V, but that "there's always a chance" an Elder Scrolls MMOG would be made (thanks Kotaku). Apparently the comment about ES5 was misinterpreted:

Apparently some folks got a bit upset by reports based on Todd’s talk at QuakeCon last week. An article came out where Todd was quoted as saying we had no plans for a TES V. He did not say that. That was not a direct quote from him. That was someone’s interpretation of what he said. I know, I was there.

At his QuakeCon talk he was asked when TESV is coming out and Todd replied, “Don’t look for a new Elder Scrolls game in the near future.” He also went on to say how much the franchise means to us and that it definitely will continue. He just wasn’t going to provide any timeframe on “when.” This should not be news to anyone that has been paying attention. Both Todd and I have said repeatedly that, of course, we’re going to do another Elder Scrolls game. The last one was enormously popular. So was the one before that. You get the idea. So do we.

Todd and Bethesda Game Studios are hard at work on their next big game, and we’re not ready to discuss it. As always, we prefer to have something amazing to show when we talk about it. We aren’t going to confirm or deny or comment on speculation, nor are we going to give hints about anything. If you know us by now, you know we don’t really do that.

In regards to the MMO comment, he was asked if there was “any chance of an Elder Scrolls MMO” and he replied — in a joking fashion — by saying “I guess there’s a chance.” To be clear, Todd and his team do not make MMOs, for any franchise, at all. We have another division – ZeniMax Online Studios – which is lead by Matt Firor, and they are working on an MMO. They have not said anything about what game they are making. When ZeniMax Online is ready to show what they are up to, we’ll let everyone know. Until then we aren’t going to provide hints or speculate on what they’re doing either.

Hope that helps clear things up.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 19, 2009, 01:38 Jerykk

Good lord. It was called Oblivion. Oblivion was the name of "Hell" in the Elder Scrolls' universe.

Oblivion was also the name of the game. I was referring to the game as a whole, not just the Oblivion realm (though that was pretty boring and uninspired too). Tamriel was really the epitome of generic fantasy and I sincerely hope the next ES game takes place somewhere much more interesting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 20:04 space captain

Good lord. It was called Oblivion. Oblivion was the name of "Hell" in the Elder Scrolls' universe. Not counting Ultima 8: Pagan I haven't seen any fantasy games let you roam around killing demons in Hell.

Beyond Divinity, for one.. Arcanum, for two.. and there are plenty more but its a waste of time at this point

heres a hint.. dont rely on what you've seen as the limits of all existence - i know its hard when the world revolves around you, but it may make you look like less of an ass.. and that means you will be pretty oh so pretty which should make you happy

Go forth, and kill!

24. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 17:24 Kxmode

Well that makes no sense.
While id definitely brought network and internet play to the masses, all the programmers that did that with Carmack have since left, and id has absolutely no experience with MMO. It would have made more sense, and been cheaper, to grab a company that already has experience and an existing product.

Have you heard the expression "killing two birds with one stone"? Think about that for a moment...

23. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 17:18 Kxmode

I disagree completely.

On what particular point do you disagree? Oblivion was generic fantasy. Goblins, wolves, bears, boars, castles, dragons, etc. There was really nothing unique or interesting to the setting.

Good lord. It was called Oblivion. Oblivion was the name of "Hell" in the Elder Scrolls' universe. Not counting Ultima 8: Pagan I haven't seen any fantasy games let you roam around killing demons in Hell.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2009, 17:22.

22. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 16:08 Drayth

Skyrim would hold them to their (I'm sure unintentional) tradition of all the E.S. releases going in alphabetical order. *nods sagely*

21. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 15:28 osage no onna

Oh, found my source for the Skyrim bit. From almost exactly a year ago:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/10/29/oblivion-and-on/

20. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 12:11 Jerykk

Wasn't there speculation some time ago that it would be set in Skyrim?

I don't think they would use Skyrim again after using it in Bloodmoon. Akavir would be much more interesting.

I disagree completely.

On what particular point do you disagree? Oblivion was generic fantasy. Goblins, wolves, bears, boars, castles, dragons, etc. There was really nothing unique or interesting to the setting.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2009, 12:12.

19. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 10:22 Beamer

I still think the real reason ZeniMax purchased id has to do with getting the company that practically invented network game code to develop a proprietary MMO engine.

Well that makes no sense.
While id definitely brought network and internet play to the masses, all the programmers that did that with Carmack have since left, and id has absolutely no experience with MMO. It would have made more sense, and been cheaper, to grab a company that already has experience and an existing product. With so many MMO companies floundering and failing they could have easily picked up a ruined one's technology and hired some of their network coders on the cheap. They'd have spent less money and gotten what they were looking for.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 09:28 Z9000

The games media is becoming more and more untrustworthy, inscrutable. This isn't the only recent story I've heard of games media completely fucking up a quote or meaning and then passing it around as fact.

I don't consider most of the glorified fan sites as "media". The fan sites that keep trying to pass themselves off as "news" sites to me are nothing more than a voluntary extended arm of games marketing. Many are game publisher fronts as well... Circus tents pitched back when the goal of the industry was to get some sort of control of public opinion, and a goal that is still being pursued. Any negative report or mistake is often a publicity stunt, intentional or not. Good journalism has been dying a slow and tragic death for some time. There are a few points of light still out there, but for the most part, we have devolved (this includes big league news organizations as well).

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

17. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 06:36 theyarecomingforyou

Oblivion, on the other hand, was completely stale and uninteresting.
I disagree completely.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

16. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 05:29 osage no onna

Wasn't there speculation some time ago that it would be set in Skyrim? I have no source for that; just some muddled memory. That should be a bit more interesting the the generic high fantasy of Oblivion, although of course Akavir would be ideal as far as strangeness and uniqueness goes.  

15. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 04:08 Jerykk

I hope the new Elder Scrolls game takes place in an interesting setting. A huge part of Morrowind's appeal to me was the unique setting. Oblivion, on the other hand, was completely stale and uninteresting.  

14. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 03:13 Muscular Beaver

Actually I wonder why they never made a MMO out of it.
The atmosphere was always sterile and couldnt keep me playing because of that (except in dungeons and similar).
That low atmosphere and open world however is perfect for a MMO.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

13. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 02:56 Wolfen

Ugh thats to looooong.  

12. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 17, 2009, 23:47 swaaye

nevermind me

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2009, 23:52.

11. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 17, 2009, 22:44 Kxmode

In June 2009, Game Informer reported that Interplay may have lost the Fallout MMORPG rights.
"The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" GameInformer 19. June 2009.

Interplay was suppose to deliver milestones by April. When they did not meet the deadline it looks like the IP reverted back to Bethesda. Likely there was a clause in the original contract during the Zenimax purchasing of Interplay's assets that had something to this effect.

I still think the real reason ZeniMax purchased id has to do with getting the company that practically invented network game code to develop a proprietary MMO engine. The engine will not only power Fallout Online but any other IPs Zenimax wishes. There's no shortage of material. Between Interplay, id, and Bethesda they have a huge catalog of IPs to work with.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2009, 22:50.

10. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 17, 2009, 22:16 wtf_man

Well here's the wikipedia reference (accuracy looks right)

On November 30, 2006, Interplay filed a Form 8-K filing to the SEC regarding a potential Fallout massively multiplayer online game. The Form 8-K contained a prospectus stating that Interplay will be issuing common stock on Euronext to raise capital for developing a Fallout MMORPG. The report stated that the production and launch processes will require an estimated US$75 million in capital. The report also stated that production may start as early as January 2007 and the game may launch as early as July 2010.

In April 2007, SEC filings were made showing the transfer of the IP for the Fallout MMORPG to Fallout 3 developer Bethesda for US$5.75 million. While Bethesda now owns the rights to the Fallout MMORPG IP, clauses in the purchase agreement state allow Interplay to license the rights to the development of the MMORPG, provided that development begins within 24 months of the date of the agreement (which was April 4, 2007), and that Interplay must secure $30 million within that time frame or forfeit its rights to license. Interplay must furthermore launch the MMORPG within four years of the beginning of development, and pay Bethesda 12 percent of sales and subscription fees for the use of the IP.

In April 2008, Interplay announced that the Fallout MMOG had entered production and in April 2009 announced that it would be working with Masthead Studios, a Bulgarian based game developer who are currently working on Earthrise, to assist in the development of the game.

In June 2009, Game Informer reported that Interplay may have lost the Fallout MMORPG rights

---------------

Zenimax licensed the Hero Engine in November of 2007. That's only 7 months after the transfer of the Fallout IP to Bethesda. Interplay had until April 2009 to secure funding and have the MMO in Development.

That said, I still think Zenimax's MMO is not Fallout. With all the domain reservations (also November 2007 dates - the same as when they bought the Hero Engine) for a TES MMO... it is more likely to be a TES MMO, as far as I can guess. (Whether they make a single player TES 5 or not)

Bethesda Softworks (Developers of TES) and Zenimax Online are two separate studios. It is totally feasible that they could be working on both a TES MMO and TES 5 at the same time. (possibly saving some money by using art assets for both titles).

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2009, 22:37.

9. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 17, 2009, 22:16 Creston

Good. Unlike the large majority of people here, I fucking love Oblivion, and I was REALLY fucking pissed at the thought of no Elder Scrolls 5.

I'm glad it was just a mistake on someone's part.

The only time I'd heard about ES5, they'd said something like 2011/2012 anyways, so no surprise there.

Creston

8. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 17, 2009, 22:04 space captain

interplay doesnt exist. its an empty office with a disconnected phone line.  
Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 17, 2009, 21:59 wtf_man

It's called Fallout Online.

What Ecthelion said. Interplay reserved the rights to an MMO when they sold the IP to Bethesda.

However, there is now a legal battle over it, and Interplay is no longer working on the project. http://falloutmmo.com/

I highly doubt that the MMO that Zenimax is working on is Fallout, given when they started the project (before a beef with Interplay), and that there's still a legal tussle over it. It would be real stupid to make a Fallout MMO and potentially lose a court case over it.

We'll just have to wait and see.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2009, 22:02.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo