Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe

There are Todd Howard keynote highlights from QuakeCon 2009 on Big Download recapping what the Bethesda Softworks executive director had to say at the show. Todd says they are currently working on their "next big game," which they are not discussing further, and that Bethesda is done making Fallout 3 DLC, though the third-party DLC Fallout 3: New Vegas is expected next year. As for the Elder Scrolls series, Howard says there are no current plans for Elder Scrolls 5, but when asked about an Elder Scrolls MMOG he said "there's always a chance," though they indicate this was said "in jest." Thanks Kotaku. On a related note, though Big Download says the comment about the Elder Scrolls MMOG was in jest, the Trademark sleuths at superannuation have a list of domains that currently resolve to Bethesda's name server at ns1.zenimax.com:

elderscrollsmmo.com
elderscrollsmmo.net
elderscrollsmmog.com
elderscrollsmmog.net
elderscrollsonline.com
elderscrollsonline.net
theelderscrollsmmo.com
theelderscrollsmmo.net
theelderscrollsmmog.com
theelderscrollsmmog.net
theelderscrollsonline.net

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 21, 2009, 00:35 Yifes

That's my opinion of the game's storyline. I'm not going to dissect it in a thesis just because you felt like picking a fight over it.

Every retarded 13 year old has an opinion. This is the internet, after all. If you want your opinion to be taken seriously, and not just dismissed as an attempt at trolling, then provide some actual reasoning. I am actually quite curious as why you would dis such a fan favorite and critically well received game that is noted for its story and convention defying gameplay.

Personally, I'd think a manchild would be more drawn to guns/swords, T&A, epic battle of Good vs Evil (a la Diablo), the fantasy convention of rising from humble origins and gaining great power (Starwars, every japanese anime/rpg out there) etc, than a story about willpower, mortality, regret and consequences.

Since PS:T, i've played Icewind Dale, BG2, NWN (OC), NWN2(OC), Kotor, Mass Effect, Diablo2 + expansion, ToEE, the Fallouts, Oblivion, The Witcher, etc, and none of their stories stood out as much or were as memorable as PS:T. So I wonder, what have you been playing that's better than PS:T?
This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2009, 01:09.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 20, 2009, 20:08 CreamyBlood

Just out of curiousity, what video game to you think has better writing and story?  

54. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 20, 2009, 15:33 Verno

Again, back your shit up before carelessly throwing out flamebait.

That's my opinion of the game's storyline. I'm not going to dissect it in a thesis just because you felt like picking a fight over it. Like the other guy said, some people are hilarious snobs about what is and isn't an RPG and somehow constantly hold this game up as some form of higher literature in the videogame industry. I am simply bringing them back down to earth with a reminder that's its fairly pedestrian in the grand scheme of things.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

53. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 19, 2009, 15:16 Yifes

Like most fantasy game storylines it's aimed squarely at the manchild. Nothing wrong with that but let's stop pretending it's the Shakespeare of PC gaming.

Shakespeare wrote some pretty vulgar and crowd pleasing stuff. But lets not digress. Again, back your shit up before carelessly throwing out flamebait.

52. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 19, 2009, 09:52 Verno

Like most fantasy game storylines it's aimed squarely at the manchild. Nothing wrong with that but let's stop pretending it's the Shakespeare of PC gaming.  

51. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 18, 2009, 23:52 Yifes

How does that change the fact that it's essentially a childish storybook with a game tacked on? You hold it as the RPG definition when in reality RPG means all sorts of things. Is it a fun game? Sure. People don't expect high literature in the gaming world in the first place anyways. Does Planescape somehow become a bigger RPG than Diablo simply because it aspires(but fails) to tell a more complicated story than the average hack n slash? No.

Sounds like someone can't let go of their childhood.

How is the game a childish storybook? How does it fail to tell a more complicated story than the average hack n slash? Might want to explain your reasoning, unless this is your attempt at trolling.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2009, 00:12.

50. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 18, 2009, 22:56 The PC Warrior

Planescape Torment.

How does that change the fact that it's essentially a childish storybook with a game tacked on? You hold it as the RPG definition when in reality RPG means all sorts of things. Is it a fun game? Sure. People don't expect high literature in the gaming world in the first place anyways. Does Planescape somehow become a bigger RPG than Diablo simply because it aspires(but fails) to tell a more complicated story than the average hack n slash? No.

Sounds like someone can't let go of their childhood.

49. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 18, 2009, 08:34 shponglefan

I consider JRPGs to be JRPGs, not actual RPGs.

This makes the least sense of anything I've read this week.

48. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 18, 2009, 05:01 toon

I don't really agree. I consider Diablo and its ilk to be hack 'n slash games, not RPGs. I consider JRPGs to be JRPGs, not actual RPGs. Extremely vague genre titles are pretty worthless. For example, an action game could include: shooters, fighting games, beat'em-ups, space sims and pretty much anything with action. An adventure game could include realistic open-ended action games, platformers, arcadey platformers and traditional point and click adventure games. There's really no point in using such broad terms. Much better to use very specific terms.

Okay, so then Ultima 7 was a hack n slash game and not an RPG? Because I mean, you had to kill people here and there. I mean, it's not like you could "go into character", altering the story and have your way with the ladies in the town, thereby getting babies and have them finish the game off for you while you sit by the lake trying to fish. It's way too static too, so meh. Sucky hack 'n slash game. Totally not an RPG.

*Ahem*. Most hack 'n slash games have RPG elements, *certainly* diablo had it - quests (though few), the usual epic save the world story, character development, gear and things you could trade..

I agree it's not a good rpg (but a damn fun game still!), but I would say it is indeed an RPG, it is a hack 'n slash subgenre of rpg (so I label it hack 'n slash, not a general RPG), which is actually derived from regular dnd pen and paper rpg's, where the DM couldn't be bothered cooking up a story so you just went on a rampage. I used to play these when I was younger. Certainly the campaigns with an engaging story was more, well, engaging, but the odd times we just went on robbing a bank, activating celerity and everything, "conveniently" meeting a pack of lupines there, heh, good times, it was fun.

So if you want to be really square about it, there isn't a computer-game in the world that is really an RPG! You need a pen-and-paper game with a human DM/GM, because then, and only then, can you free yourself from the static confines of a computergame which, no matter what game, will make you play the game differently than you really would in a true RPG.

47. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 17, 2009, 23:55 Jerykk

If you want to be a whiny pedant then technically Planescape Torment isn't an RPG, it's Forgotten Realms Book for 15 year olds: The Game. RPG isn't just a generalization these days, it always has been.

If you want to be a sarcastic ass, you should at least know what you're talking about. Planescape Torment used the Planescape setting, not Forgotten Realms.

I do find it particularly amusing that you belittle one of the most widely acclaimed CRPGs of all time. 15-year-olds? Really? And you call me negative

RPG isn't just a generalization these days, it always has been.

To a degree, yes. However, it started getting really bad with Diablo and now the label is slapped onto pretty much anything with stats and leveling.

So, what you *insist* is or is not an RPG is actually really just a subgenre of it, the type you like.

I don't really agree. I consider Diablo and its ilk to be hack 'n slash games, not RPGs. I consider JRPGs to be JRPGs, not actual RPGs. Extremely vague genre titles are pretty worthless. For example, an action game could include: shooters, fighting games, beat'em-ups, space sims and pretty much anything with action. An adventure game could include realistic open-ended action games, platformers, arcadey platformers and traditional point and click adventure games. There's really no point in using such broad terms. Much better to use very specific terms.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2009, 00:02.

46. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 17, 2009, 19:33 swaaye

If you want to be a whiny pedant then technically Planescape Torment isn't an RPG, it's Forgotten Realms Book for 15 year olds: The Game. RPG isn't just a generalization these days, it always has been.

lol

45. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 17, 2009, 19:24 swaaye

Well if there's a level of multiplayer that I've wanted when playing Morrowind, Oblivion, or Fallout 3, it would be just perhaps up to 8 player LAN gaming. Something small, where you and your friends can load up characters and wander the land doing whatever you want. Someone else here before me described that sort of thing.

The Massively part does nothing for me. I'm just not looking for the opportunity to join in on some big social gaming experience. It's definitely its own kind of gaming and I'm happy that it apparently makes some people happy, but I'd rather go out and chat with people in the real world than deal with them in a online pay-as-I-go game... I actually don't play anything multiplayer unless it's a face-to-face session. LAN gaming is all I do for multi.

I suppose it all comes down to the fact that I am just not a very social person. I like games that are built on a "loner" mentality, have lots of exploration and possibilities to influence the world. I don't even need action in these games frankly. It's just about escaping from the real world and doing my own thing.

If they do make a MMO out of TES, the TES community is going have a meltdown. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the community decided to make their own single player TES game. They are already putting together huge land expansions and new cities. This isn't a group that wants to go online and raid/grind with their friends. That's not what these games mean for most people who take them seriously.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2009, 19:38.

44. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 17, 2009, 09:59 Verno

Diablo is basically Serious Sam with stats.

43. Re: Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe Aug 17, 2009, 08:53 toon

How is this not a ROLE PLAYING GAME? It's a game, you play it, with a character portraying some role?

By that extremely broad definition, any game would be qualify as an RPG.
Sure, take the one sentence out of context and ignore the rest.

Look, it's like genres in other mediums like music yeah? So, lets say metal. I like a lot of metal. Doom-metal, prog, post-metal, etc. Theres a lot of genres I don't like. These sub-genres are wildly different, but they are still metal. Some incorporate jazz, some blues, whatever. The point is IT IS STILL METAL. Some guys only like doom-metal and shiver whenever Cradle of filth or whatever comes on.
Another example is electronic music. I love Burial, but there's so much utter crap out there, like DJ Tiesto. I would never listen to that, still it IS exectronic music..

So, what you *insist* is or is not an RPG is actually really just a subgenre of it, the type you like. Call it hardcore-rpg or whatever the fuck. WoW is still an RPG (zombie-rpg? autopilot-rpg? git-rpg?), it's just not my type (and not yours either I'm guessing, since you hate everything).

Q.E.D

42. Re: Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe Aug 17, 2009, 00:33 shponglefan

I disagree.

*shrug* Then you've got your own definition of "RPG".

41. Re: Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe Aug 16, 2009, 21:34 Jerykk

Diablo is an RPG, albeit an action-RPG.

I disagree. The Witcher and Gothic are action RPGs. Combat is unavoidable in them but you still have a lot of high-level choices. In Gothic, you can also be stealthy and whatnot. Diablo is basically Serious Sam with stats.

40. Re: Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe Aug 16, 2009, 20:47 shponglefan

I can't really agree with that at all. By that definition, Diablo is an RPG.

Diablo is an RPG, albeit an action-RPG.

39. Re: Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe Aug 16, 2009, 17:13 Jerykk

It would be easy to apply that definition to FPS and RTS and there are in fact games in both genres that have had open-ended gameplay and c&c.

If an FPS lets you fight, sneak, steal or talk your way through the bulk of situations, I'd consider that an RPG. If an RTS lets you do the same, I'd consider that an RPG too. However, I can't think of any that do. Star Control 2 might be the closest thing to an RTS/RPG hybrid. The game was very open-ended and your choices had long-term consequences. There were no stats or leveling but those really aren't the most important parts of a good RPG.

What really makes an RPG (and I'm not pulling this out of my ass but it is one of the most common and most widely accepeted definitions) is when character skill (and stats, traits, whatever) begins to matter more than player skill.

I can't really agree with that at all. By that definition, Diablo is an RPG. Calling any game with stats an RPG is just as bad as comparing any game with jetpacks to Tribes (Section 8, I'm looking at you). The purpose of stats is to force players to stick to a particular role. However, you could achieve the same result by having players choose a pre-defined character type at the start of the game with no stats or leveling involved.

How is this not a ROLE PLAYING GAME? It's a game, you play it, with a character portraying some role?

By that extremely broad definition, any game would be qualify as an RPG.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2009, 17:15.

38. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 16, 2009, 14:34 wtf_man

Me too. The major downside to the old RPG’s I loved is that they either had horrible cooperative modes (like BG) or none at all. I just don’t think a wowclone subscription based MMO is going to change that. If every RPG is going to be designed around online play from now on, I’d much rather they copy Guild Wars. No subscriptions, limited/no leveling, one ‘world’ so you can always play with your friends, and heavily instanced so it’s easy to escape from the mongoloids.

I agree that subscription based MMO's are annoying.

However, a lot of "free" ones with micro-transactions are actually even more annoying. One quickly finds out that to do anything decent, you have to do some micro transactions or quit. They usually don't provide enough in the "free bits" to tell whether you really will like the game or not. Sure you can play it, and sure you can loot standard items... but you quickly find something crippled like upping skills (that costs leveling points + gold) and there's no way to accumulate enough gold per level without doing some micro-transactions.

I'd rather use a 10 day free trial on a subscription based game to figure out whether I like it or not.

As for Guild Wars... I like the business model, but the PvE in that game (other than the missions) was fairly poor.

Maybe Guild Wars 2 will be the answer.

All I know is that I'm looking for something that isn't constant repetitive "whack a mole" (there are alternatives to always fighting), quests play out more like "an adventure", than mundane tasks, you have to make choices that affect the outcomes of these quests, you have to use your brain to get through them (puzzles, traps, faction considerations, etc.), and you can team up with friends if you wish, or there is some "proper" motivation to do so.

NOBODY has made an MMO like that yet. I'm hoping that the more story-oriented features of the Hero Engine will provide this.

If someone can come up with an MMO like that... I won't mind paying a fee.

I'm just sick of the same old shit with different paint (Regadless if it's Fantasy, Super Hero, Sci-Fi, Pirates, or Present-Day / Secret Agent... they all play the same, and it get's old real quick... hence not worth a fee).

37. Re: Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe Aug 16, 2009, 13:25 siapnar

Well, fuck that.

Yep

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2009, 13:26.

I have projectile dysfunction.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo