Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Coming?

Though NVIDIA announced PhysX support for Terminator Salvation before the movie tie-in game was released, it was not part of the game when it shipped. A movie on the YouTube from June 1 has a ShakyCam presentation showing PhysX in the game, promising it in an expansion: "this is going to release next month as an expansion and new game pack with all new levels for the game where you are going to be able to see some remarkable physics effects." With that month more than passed, and the game's developer GRIN now closed, this plan would seem to be in doubt. However, the Terminator Salvation page on nZone (thanks game|phys, dedicated to such topics) now has a new movie showing a side-by-side comparison of the game running with and without PhysX, suggesting a patch with PhysX support is still on the way. There's also a deceptive link to download an "exclusive, PhysX-packed Terminator Salvation timedemo," but this leads to a "coming soon" message.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 15, 2009, 01:42 TurdFergasun

or could be they decided to put money into their own products and marketing instead of bribing devs to cripple someone else's.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 14, 2009, 22:28 swaaye

Physx is just more marketing for NV. It gets them closer to the wondrous world of total proprietary control. I really hope that DX11 compute shaders eliminate this BS just like DX7 finally did to Glide back in the day.

Look at the Batman game. We have NV Physx. NV The Way It's Meant to be Played labeling. NV-only multisampling AA. If this dev didn't get money or some sort of other direct help from NV, wow.

The biggest issue here is that ATI's developer relations suck and always have sucked.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2009, 22:31.

11. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 14, 2009, 22:16 doktor_tchock

Only thing I could say to that, then, is you'll be missing out.

People who don't think, and only do what 'feels good' to them in the short term, damn the consequences, are the cancer that's killing PC gaming.

If you're aware of the political reasons to not buy a PhysX card but you still buy one, f*** you.

PhysX is a joke. If your PC has a dual-core CPU or better the PhysX card might as well be a silicon board with a bit in a ROM chip flipped to '1'.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2009, 22:17.

10. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 14, 2009, 16:37 tony

Sure, but I'm not going to support a company trying to damage gaming for the sake of profit.

Then you'll have to also boycott all Microsoft created/published games and hardware because they've done a hell of alot more to damage gaming than nvidia.

9. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 14, 2009, 14:31 theyarecomingforyou

Financially speaking, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Exclusivity isn't an unheard of tactic to give a company an edge in whatever market they're in. I understand we're consumers and we want it all, but that's not always reasonable.
The deal is I have an nVidia card that supports PhysX but they've actively blocked me from using it because I have an ATi card. That and they keep pressuring developers / publishers to add support and boycott DX10.1. So I'm left with an nVidia card that's useless simply because of their politicking.

Only thing I could say to that, then, is you'll be missing out. The additional graphical eye candy you get with PhysX is nice.
Sure, but I'm not going to support a company trying to damage gaming for the sake of profit.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 14, 2009, 13:56 Elessar

Only thing I could say to that, then, is you'll be missing out. The additional graphical eye candy you get with PhysX is nice. It's a large part of the reason I'll be getting Batman for the PC instead of the 360. Well that and because the PC version looks much better innately

Financially speaking, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Exclusivity isn't an unheard of tactic to give a company an edge in whatever market they're in. I understand we're consumers and we want it all, but that's not always reasonable.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

7. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Coming? Aug 14, 2009, 13:49 Aero

I think they're pretty cool, but won't really come into their own until they can make a physics processor a minimum system requirement--and that probably won't happen until there is a good standard for gaming applications (DirectX 11?). Until then, we'll only get some nice on/off eye-candy, but nothing that is very integrated with the gameplay, and things that could not be done at all on typical CPU. So PhysX can never be used in a way, though I'm sure nVidia would love it, that makes it a necessity.

I was thinking, if it allows asymmetrical setups, you could buy something like an 8600 for $30 or a 9800GT for $90 to be used solely for PhysX stuff as though it were a PhysX (or whatever) add-in card. I'm not what sort of card you could do well with if all it would be doing was PhysX.

6. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 14, 2009, 13:36 theyarecomingforyou

I hear what you're saying, but those are all political reasons that we can, basically, do nothing about. Aside from using your wallet as a voice.
Which is exactly what I intend to do. I have no problem with nVidia products or drivers - I have an 8800GT that I was very happy with - but the way they've tried to kill or cripple technologies like DX10.1 and PhysX is unacceptable. Therefore I'll be going for another ATi card when I upgrade to DX11 later this year.

5. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Coming? Aug 14, 2009, 13:09 tony

I'm a fan on physx effects.  

4. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 14, 2009, 13:06 Elessar

I hear what you're saying, but those are all political reasons that we can, basically, do nothing about. Aside from using your wallet as a voice.

But I fortunately have a PhysX enabled card and I can assure people like Techie, that other people do in fact care about the eye candy that you're able to see, be it for political or technical reasons.

3. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 14, 2009, 12:19 theyarecomingforyou

If you don't care about PhysX, then you don't care about additional eye candy.
I care about eye candy. What I don't care for is all the shit that nVidia is pulling, like disabling PhysX if an ATi card is detected (even when trying to run with the nVidia card as primary). nVidia also immediately axed the standalone card and seems to have done everything in its power to promote it and yet chronically limit what it can do at the same time. And here we have more PR bullshit, showing how it runs slow on CPU - it should be showing the effects, not highlighting how they've nerfed CPU PhysX functionality. They could have cornered the physics market and had an nVidia card sitting in every system, whether for primary graphics or not, but instead they chose to fuck over customers to spite ATi. Congrats.

I'm all for forward progress, which is why I hope PhysX dies off quickly and is replaced by a platform agnostic approach like the compute shaders of DX11.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2009, 12:21.

2. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Coming? Aug 14, 2009, 10:42 Elessar

If you don't care about PhysX, then you don't care about additional eye candy. The debate still stands whether devs can add the content PhysX supposedly adds, without PhysX, but the fact of the matter is titles with it simply look better. Mirror's Edge and the new Batman Demo attest to that.

As for Terminator Salvation... unless you really liked the game (I've gathered not many have at all), it seems like a waste of time.

1. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Coming? Aug 14, 2009, 10:01 Techie714

Hey look PhysX a technology that nobody really cares about is coming out for a game that nobody really cares about, EXCELLENT marketing!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo