Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Darkest of Days Demo

The promised playable demo for Darkest of Days is now available, offering the chance to check out the upcoming history-altering shooter in the works at 8Monkey Labs. Darkest of Days is a first-person shooter where players travel back in time to influence history by who lives and dies in key historical battles. The 740 MB demo is available from AtomicGamer, ComputerGames.ro, FanGaming, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Strategy Informer.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 17, 2009, 03:17 Ant

Meh, this game demo wasn't impressive. Graphics were meh. Game idea was interesting, but doesn't seem to work well here. Oh well, no play for me with the full game.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 12, 2009, 16:01 tony

Well here's to hoping they fix the mouse movement. I've got a gtx 260 core 216, and when v-sync is enabled mouse look/turning noticeably skips frames and the environment shimmies despite smooth frame rates.

If they fix the controls, I'm buying. I love the idea of using modern guns in the past.

17. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 12, 2009, 12:20 Jerykk

That would be an awesome idea for an RPG... a time travel RPG where your acts in the older time periods effect the later time periods.

A Vampire game could pull that off really well. Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption had different eras, though the game was more hack 'n slash than RPG and your choices didn't really matter. If somebody had the resources to make a proper RPG with multiple time periods and the ability to drastically alter each one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

16. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 12, 2009, 06:07 StingingVelvet

I don't really understand the appeal of this game. If your actions in one era had a profound effect on the next, that would be awesome. Unfortunately, generating that amount of content needed to flesh out all the possible variations would be practically impossible. As such, your actions have negligible consequences and the game remains completely linear.

That would be an awesome idea for an RPG... a time travel RPG where your acts in the older time periods effect the later time periods.

Someone make that.

15. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 12, 2009, 04:04 Jerykk

I don't really understand the appeal of this game. If your actions in one era had a profound effect on the next, that would be awesome. Unfortunately, generating that amount of content needed to flesh out all the possible variations would be practically impossible. As such, your actions have negligible consequences and the game remains completely linear.  

14. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 12, 2009, 03:02 StingingVelvet

Demo is now on Steam, FYI.

Sad to hear about the consolized stuff... FOV never really bothers me, but the controls and such sounds icky.

Still love the concept enough to support the game though, probably.

13. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 22:03 Bill Borre

Also when you are in the usa civil war and you are given a modern day assault rifle, why don't any of the soldiers surrounding you notice?

I never understand why dev teams ignore little details like this. It is the small touches that really add to suspension of disbelief for game atmosphere. All they needed was for one soldier to say something along the lines of "WTF is that?!?" or, even better, they could have worked it into the gameplay like a bunch of union troops are about to be overrun, and you run to them and open up on the rebs with the assault rifle and they cheer you wildly.

12. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 21:27 Bumpy

Agreed. The console roots are way too strong in this game. There is a large amount of autoaiming, base FOV is way to zoomed in, aiming with the mouse didn't feel accurate or proper to me and large HUD is not needed.  

11. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 19:48 loomy

the fov was horrible. I didn't get over it for the whole demo.

it is stunning how quickly people lose the ability to do things. next we'll have fire bound to space bar. fucking idiots.

10. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 19:39 Overon

Nice to see a small demo. However why did it make me install physx drivers. I have an nvidia drivers, I already have physx drivers installed. Also why did it install the visual c++ 2005 redistributable? I already had that installed.

I don't like the console style fov. The view feels so restrictive, it's clearly designed for consoles. That was my first impression.

The setup is interesting where you fight in famous battles. However it's so abrupt and unrealistic. First you are a soldier fighting at little big horn and then you are whisked away into the future to be a time soldier and given a lame explanation. It's not natural people wouldn't respond like that. Also when you are in the usa civil war and you are given a modern day assault rifle, why don't any of the soldiers surrounding you notice? Or when you fire those "chasers" why doesn't someone say "WTF?"

I like the gears of war style "active reload" where if you time your button press while it's in a certain part of the circle you reload faster.

I love how fast the demo loads, there are no endless logo screens to wade through. In fact there are no logo screens at all except for the title screen where you select to play.

The game manual is in pdf format in the install directory as well as the readme which they don't like in the star menu shortcuts that are created.

Pro tip: if you want to check out some of the modern guns, kill some of the blue halo guys and 3 guys with modern weapons will warp in to kill you, if you kill them you can pick up their good weapons.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2009, 20:18.

9. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 19:33 ReverendTed

I don't think that was an hour, but whatever.

It's not fantastic, but it wasn't exactly terrible, either. Definitely had some budget title aspects to it.

The concept is interesting, but it doesn't look like it really affects gameplay to an enormous extent, except that occasionally you have to NOT kill someone (and it might mean a wider variety of weapons).
Only once during the demo did I really have any inclination that my character was in any sort of peril - it doesn't really sell you on the risk.

I'm not sure I understand this whole "don't alter history, but here's an assault rifle" angle.
The video at the end elicited a chuckle.

8. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 17:26 ReverendTed

Nice to see a demo under 1GB.
The download page claims it's an 'hour long demo'. Needless to say, I'm more than a little skeptical about that claim.

Based on some of the comments here, I'm going to try it out.

7. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 16:52 Evil Timmy

- LOOKS BADASS
- IS BADASS
(from the nifty video you get after conquering the demo)

This describes the demo perfectly. Graphics aren't the shader-heavy modern stuff PC gamers are used to, but it's more than playable and the concept is awesome. It's both a breath of fresh air and a throwback at the same time, and I'll happily pay to support an indie dev who's putting out something fun, innovative, and clever like this.

6. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 16:47 Wag

The demo was very buggy on my setup though (even locked me up once). I hope the full release is more stable.

5. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 16:42 loomy

this game is primitive but loved. it is good because you can tell they care. it is bad because it is some medal of honor 1 kind of shit. you be the judge.

it is definitely nice playing a game with a fast menu system. you don't see that much anymore

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2009, 16:43.

4. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 15:38 tony

Well then buy their game, get some money flowing their way, and perhaps they can rip off their own idea and make the next game that much better.  

3. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 15:05 Marduk

Great concept, too bad these nobodies with 0 budget did it, they don't really pull it off as well as it could be done. Shame too because now if anyone else makes a game with this concept they'll be "ripping off" this bunch instead of being seen as actually doing the concept justice.  

2. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 14:37 Kevlar

Agreed - seems like a really cool concept. Hope the demo lives up to the potential.  

1. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 14:31 StingingVelvet

LOVE the idea of it... LOVE some gameplay ideas they have shown, like having people you can't kill and such... but the videos look rough.

Look forward to trying it myself.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo