Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a preseason tackle football sighting this weekend. If me getting excited about the NFL getting back underway sounds odd in August, then you are probably not a Mets fan like I am.

Preseason Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Link: If Star Wars Was Rea. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: ‘Star Wars’ canon is finally shooting itself in the foot.
Can Jazz Be Saved? Thanks Digg.
Aussie Sex Party approved.
Science: A Biochemical Way to Reduce Drug Side Effects. Thanks j.c.f.
An Iron Key to High-Temperature Superconductivity. Thanks j.c.f.
Surprises from General Relativity- "Swimming" in Spacetime. Thanks j.c.f.
Auction: My Little Pony Silent Hill Custom- Pyramid Head. Thanks Kxmode.
Media: AVGN's NES Game Collection.
The TGIF Paradox.
Giant Waterslide Jump.
Follow-ups: Autopsy: Cocaine contributed to Billy Mays' death. Thanks jimnms.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2009, 22:22 medusa[nyc]

mets fan also but cant say i am excited for football season either. i am a jets fan too

really like my misery (can round it out with the rangers and knicks)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2009, 20:08 space captain

you gotta find some jazz you can dig.. there is alot of interesting stuff produced by Bill Laswell, also check out some Naked City or other John Zorn, perhaps some Trey Spruance for freaky yet fun jazz action.. i always liked Grassy Knoll, but i think they broke up around 2000 or so  
Go forth, and kill!

24. Re: death of Jazz Aug 10, 2009, 19:51 banddirector

Every 5 to 10 years, you can always count on finding one or two "Jazz is dead" articles. As always, the rumor of it's demise has been greatly exaggerated.

There are plenty of jazz musicians today who are playing straight ahead jazz that the average listener could get into, if they wanted to.

Jazz is not a monolithic art form. There are all kinds of styles being played to suit a listener's taste.

With all of the instrumental musicians being cranked out of colleges like sausages, there will always be a market for Jazz, IMHO.

Good response. Much better than mine ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

23. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 18:59 PHJF

That's because people don't have anything else to do and the only form of entertainment on a Friday night is the movies. It's a weekly ritual.

And there are much better movies out there than fucking GI fucking joe. I'm sure 2012 will make a billion dollars as well.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 18:26 Kxmode

Agreed. I'm just trying to make the point that if a movie looks half-way decent, and it's Friday... they go. Because, well, it's Friday.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2009, 18:27.

21. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 18:22 toT

"That's because people don't have anything else to do and the only form of entertainment on a Friday night is the movies. It's a weekly ritual."

And people will most likely have nothing else to do when they are ready to release the sequel, which is why a sequel is a sure bet. All I was trying to say is that because of the box office success, any negative reviews will be the last thing on their mind when it comes to releasing G.I. Joe 2. My guess is that the wheels are already in motion towards the sequel

20. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 18:00 Kxmode

- G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra took the top spot by a wide margin with $56.2 million, more than the rest of the top five combined.

That's because people don't have anything else to do and the only form of entertainment on a Friday night is the movies. It's a weekly ritual.

19. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 17:32 toT

"But with the reviews it's been getting I have to wonder if that'll happen."

You really think the people that made this movie give a shit about reviews? They didnt even screen it for critics before release.

- G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra took the top spot by a wide margin with $56.2 million, more than the rest of the top five combined.

That right there is enough to guarantee a sequel, critics be damned

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2009, 17:21 Cutter

Woooo 3 more days to pre-season! I am down like a clown Charlie Brown!!! Whenever we hit this time of year I alway start singing 'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas'.

The 5 Preseason Games Woth Watching

http://tinyurl.com/nnw8x7

I have to agree with at least the Cards v. Steelers and Bears v. Pats. But of course it's always all about the Pack! Go Packers!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: death of Jazz Aug 10, 2009, 17:02 Mingus

Jazz used to be cool because it sounded cool. Too often now it just sounds weird.

Average folks like cool, not weird .....

Every 5 to 10 years, you can always count on finding one or two "Jazz is dead" articles. As always, the rumor of it's demise has been greatly exaggerated.

There are plenty of jazz musicians today who are playing straight ahead jazz that the average listener could get into, if they wanted to.

Jazz is not a monolithic art form. There are all kinds of styles being played to suit a listener's taste.

With all of the instrumental musicians being cranked out of colleges like sausages, there will always be a market for Jazz, IMHO.

16. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 16:05 kanniballl

Ahhh, thanks kanniballl... from that spoiler sounds like they're setting it up for a sequel (which I figured they would do anyway).

Definitely, considering the last scene before the credits. But with the reviews it's been getting I have to wonder if that'll happen.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2009, 16:08.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 15:50 eunichron

Ahhh, thanks kanniballl... from that spoiler sounds like they're setting it up for a sequel (which I figured they would do anyway).  

14. Re: death of Jazz Aug 10, 2009, 15:34 banddirector

Jazz used to be cool because it sounded cool. Too often now it just sounds weird.

Average folks like cool, not weird .....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

13. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 14:24 kanniballl

I heard Destro doesn't wear a mask, is that true?

eunichron... see SST below if you want to know.

SST for Short answer w/ minimal spoilers below
Sorta. Though by the very end of the movie Christopher Eccleston (Destro) finally sports it. There was a fore-shadowing to it in the very beginning, as his ancestor was forced to wear one for being a tool.

SST for longer more spoiler-ific answer below

- The last couple of scenes show the emergence of Cobra as a whole. So in the last 5 minutes we actually see some a couple of classic visuals.
- Cobra Commander makes a power play to turn M.A.R.S. into Cobra, as that was his "theme" for his scenes and weapon-naming.
- He betrays Destro, turns his face into metal via nanites, and puts in some obedience training into it to shock him into submission. Think "Silver Surfer" from the movie, only slightly more jagged.
- Commander takes the name/rank of "Commander" and wears a face place reminiscent of the old cartoon but a little more modern and detailed. Think partially translucent so you can see some tech inside.
- And we see the Cobra logo on the side their submarine.

-EDIT-
Fixed an actor name. Can't believe I got it wrong.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2009, 16:06.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2009, 13:55 JohnnyRotten

‘Star Wars’ canon is finally shooting itself in the foot.
"Finally?"

Mesa think it starting going downhillza with the jackassa who spoka lika this-a.

11. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 13:45 eunichron

It lacked the old Cobra uniforms, though the Joe's had a couple of classics like Scarlet (on the motor cycle) and Snake Eyes.
I heard Destro doesn't wear a mask, is that true?

If so I may just wait to rent it. :\

10. Re: Civilization Revolution on iphone Aug 10, 2009, 13:43  Blue 

Email this to Blue, but in case he doesnt get to it for awhile...

Whenever I try to gauge the desire for more timely gaming news here for consoles and mobile, the answer seems to be no...

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: GI Joe Aug 10, 2009, 13:16 Mindstorm

Thanks for the mini-review. I was wondering how it good/bad it was from someone who recalls the old Joe stuff.

Now I know, and knowing is half the price of a movie theater ticket

8. Civilization Revolution on iphone Aug 10, 2009, 13:06 Krovven

Email this to Blue, but in case he doesnt get to it for awhile...

http://toucharcade.com/2009/08/10/sid-meiers-civilization-revolution-turn-based-strategy-game-comes-to-iphone/

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2009, 12:04 nin

Booooooooooooooooooooooo...

That was no surprise at all...
http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames/status/3226834552

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo