Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mechscape Plans

The Great Runescape: Jagex And The Future on Rock, Paper, Shotgun is an interview with some of the folks at Jagex about what they are up to, which includes continued support for their subscription-free MMOG Runescape, their free games portal FunOrb, and plans for their next MMOG Mechscape. For the moment, they are more willing to discuss what Mechscape is not: "The reason why many Sci-fi MMOs haven’t worked is because they’re fantasy games dressed up to look like Sci-fi games. We looked at seminal games like Master of Orion and Ascendancy, and look at worked in those games, and make MMO mechanics inspired by those mechanics, in the way which Garriott created mechanics in Ultima Online inspired by the traditional Ultima games. Our seed was completely different. The end result is a game which looks and plays like no other MMO out there, from the mechanics, to how you interact with the other players…"

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 11, 2009, 02:46 Jerykk

Bog standard 40k could make an online RTS. Battlefleet Gothic could make a homeworld-esque fleet sim, Rogue Trader a massively multiplayer Elite clone, Inquisitor a Knights of the Old Republic style MMORPG, Gorkamorka a post apocalyptic racer, Space Hulk an AvP style suspense shooter. 40k has spread to all sorts of things over the last 25 years and it's got potential in it to make almost any genre of game.

Except we're not talking about any genre of game here, we're talking about MMO. A WH40K MMO wouldn't work in the same vein as WoW or other traditional fantasy MMOs. You can't go to some random shopkeeper and then fetch ten wolf pelts for him in return for some gold. In fact, how would the economy even work in a WH40K MMO? The Empire doesn't pay you to do missions, you do missions because the Emperor is God. Trading is pretty moot as well since you can't even socialize with other races. In WH40K, all other races are enemies and your sole purpose is to destroy or conquer them. Given these considerations, it seems like being action-oriented is the only viable way to make a WH40K MMO.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 10, 2009, 07:48 InBlack

"Lol, Spess Muhrines!!!"

Excuse me but genetically engineered superhuman armour wearing, fanatical and merciless Space Marines.

How much more "coolnes" can you get. These guys are the end-all be all of the WH40k universe...

So no Titans are NOT FTW.

Thank you very much....

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 10, 2009, 06:56 Jonny

THQ is making a WH40K MMO and chances are that it will be similar to Planetside or other action-oriented MMOs. The WH40K universe isn't really suited to anything else.

Bog standard 40k could make an online RTS. Battlefleet Gothic could make a homeworld-esque fleet sim, Rogue Trader a massively multiplayer Elite clone, Inquisitor a Knights of the Old Republic style MMORPG, Gorkamorka a post apocalyptic racer, Space Hulk an AvP style suspense shooter. 40k has spread to all sorts of things over the last 25 years and it's got potential in it to make almost any genre of game.

Although I admit it's most likely going to be a "Lol, Spess Muhrines!!!" generic shooter, because people seem to leave their imagination at the door when they first see Space Marines and never get past them.

*edit* You could even adapt Epic and have a Mecha based MMO. Titans ftw.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2009, 06:57.

18. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 10, 2009, 05:32 InBlack

Coloradohoudini why are you making issues with regards to this game being browser based?

Quake Live has proven that Browser based games can be successful and that the technology isnt a barrier.

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 10, 2009, 02:47 Jerykk

THQ is making a WH40K MMO and chances are that it will be similar to Planetside or other action-oriented MMOs. The WH40K universe isn't really suited to anything else.

You have to know when to retreat, which isn't really taught in games these days.

Can't really agree with you there. The regenerating health you see in 99% of games these days rewards you for running away and hiding.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2009, 02:49.

16. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 10, 2009, 02:40 Trevellian

I fully agree that Sci Fi MMO's are not successful because they try to follow the fantasy MMO layout. My solution to this?

Want to buy new Planetside game.

The game is 6 years old and still has the best system for an MMO ever, a skill based game where weapon/vehicle unlocks are based on a cert point system in which you earn 1 cert point per level. Allowing even entry level players to be able to gain experience through gunning in vehicles for other players or just being involved in base hacks and combat in general.

I would love to see a company like Blizzard or Mythic take the Planetside formula and apply it to say, Starcraft or Warhammer 40K. A Planetside style game set in either of those universes would be ultimately successful, and it's too bad neither company realizes this.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2009, 02:42.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

15. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 10, 2009, 00:47 Rhett

Runescape wasn't exciting enough, or to-the-point, so they had to improvise....for a whole 15 seconds >_>  

14. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 10, 2009, 00:36 creatorswhim

It's a dreadful name, isn't it? They might as well call it "Potatoscape" or "Dullscape" for all the excitement it elicits.  

13. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 23:55 Kxmode

I saw "Mehscape"  

12. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 22:47 creatorswhim

I originally read the name as "Methscape" and I was like Rubeyes  

11. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 22:11 VoodooV

This is exactly while a Mech game needs to be at least partially based on player skill and not 100 percent based on stats. Hits/misses, where the shot hit, criticals, piloting rolls and all that should definitely be stat based. But as the old MUSH and MUSE games have taught us, the only skill levels necessary are green/regular/veteran/elite/legendary. Other than that, the game should be based entirely on the players wits and tactics as any mech game should be.

Sure you can dump some newb in a Daishi, but if he doesn't have a solid grasp of tactics and plays the game like it's just another shooter, he's going to get his ass handed to him by a veteran pilot in a much smaller mech. I want a game that, yes, is primarily based on stats and die rolls, but I don't just want some fucking spreadsheet in space. The player's(not the character's) intuition, wits, tactics and strategy need to be involved.

And sure, a newbie might start out with something like a piece of shit locust or something like that, but I really don't want to encourage the bigger=better mentality. speed is crazy important in the battletech universe and stomping around in an assult usually just means you're a sitting duck, sure you might be able to fend off a few attacks here and there, but eventually, they'll peck away at you and you're dead meat. You have to know when to retreat, which isn't really taught in games these days. Lone Wolf syndrome will get you killed pretty fast in a mech.

10. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 21:23 ColoradoHoudini

Unless this is incorrect.. we needn't worry about this game at all:

http://mechscape.wikia.com/wiki/MechScape

"MechScape is an upcoming browser-based game being developed by Jagex Ltd. Its development started in 2006. "

please tell me i'm reading that wrong and this will actually be a regular mech MMO.

9. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 20:36 Rhett

...We looked at seminal games like Master of Orion and Ascendancy, and look at worked in those games...

At worked eh? I think they left out a few observations

It'll probably be a Mech Commander type game, as I can't think of much else they could do. If they're looking at 4X games, then it must be a sort of strategy game.... or not. I never really played RS. Hard to take them seriously though.

8. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 17:05 Cutter

Oh b aby did I ever love Ascendancy. I think I probably still have a copy of it laying around. Man that was a great friggin game!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 17:00 Wallshadows

is this an attempt at humor? no matter, its stupid regardless

Defensive much? Maybe if you understood that mechanics means more than just a 'Mech' you would understand what he is trying to say and not be a douche in the process.

The point they were trying to make is that they wanted to look at MoO and A to build their MMO without giving it a 'dressed up' fantasy feeling like they felt so many sci-fi games have. They want to integrate those mechanics in order to build a game which took cue from what MoO and A used to create this Sci-Fi world rather than a dressed up fantasy.

A game mechanic is a construct of rules intended to produce an enjoyable game or gameplay. All games use mechanics.

Read a book or something before you fly off the handle. It's embarrassing.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2009, 17:00.

6. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 16:04 space captain

I think he was speaking about the gameplay mechanics in a Sci-Fi world, rather then an actual Mech.

is this an attempt at humor? no matter, its stupid regardless

since the game is called MECHSCAPE

We looked at seminal games like Master of Orion and Ascendancy, and look at worked in those games, and make MMO mechanics inspired by those mechanics

and i repeat, what the fuck does a 4x space sim have to do with a mech based game? or is MECHSCAPE just the retarded name they chose for a MMO space sim?

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 15:28 ColoradoHoudini

This may all be null and void anyhow.. my first post mentioned that this is probably a browser-based game. At least, that's what i found when i did a search for this title.

If that is true.. we can forget this game even exists.

4. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 14:10 Hump

Maybe its me but I can't find a single description or hint of what the game even entails other than it being an MMO.....  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

3. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 12:52 Wallshadows

I have no clue how in the world they start you out and you level up

You would start off in a Fire Fly and progress into Daishi.

wtf does a mech game have to do with Master of Orion?

I think he was speaking about the gameplay mechanics in a Sci-Fi world, rather then an actual Mech.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2009, 12:53.

2. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 11:53 space captain

wtf does a mech game have to do with Master of Orion? Huh  
Go forth, and kill!

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo