Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Delay

Following a denial that console editions of Dragon Age: Origins were delayed, IGN now has a confirmation from BioWare that the Windows and Xbox 360 editions of the RPG are delayed from their planned October release until November 3 in North America and November 6 in Europe, and the PS3 edition is expected "later in November." No reason for the small setback is provided.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 10, 2009, 12:04 Elessar

Z9000 - I already have the full meal deal ordered for PS3.

It's been almost 8 months since I seriously gamed on the computer and am not buying anything for the PC until the Blizzard stuff. I may even pass on that if Blizzard installs anything beyond an internet reg as DRM. I am betting there will be a console version of Diablo 3...
Congrats?

This just seems foolish to me. I've always been a proponent of buying a game that fits the platform, rather than shoehorning games to play on a particular platform. It's not terribly expensive for me to maintain a decent gaming PC and have a console these days, so I'm not sure why anyone would celebrate limiting themselves to one platform.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 23:56 The Half Elf

Actually it's 'lightsaber' *coughs*  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

46. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 19:01 StingingVelvet

I already have the full meal deal ordered for PS3.

It's been almost 8 months since I seriously gamed on the computer and am not buying anything for the PC until the Blizzard stuff. I may even pass on that if Blizzard installs anything beyond an internet reg as DRM. I am betting there will be a console version of Diablo 3...

I would bet money that Dragon Age will be as PC-focused as a Blizzard title in many aspects. It will probably feel absolutely neutered on PS3... the PS3 version will no doubt be the absolute worst one.

Also, I really doubt Diablo 3 will be on consoles, at least anywhere near its launch.

45. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 17:54 Prez

CRPG has always meant a PC role playing game. I have never heard the Sega Genesis, Super Nes, Playstation, or XBox, or any variation thereof, referred to as a "computer". In the strictest sense, that's what they are, but they aren't referred to in that manner. Never have been.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 17:43 Jerykk

Traditionally it has always stood for Computer Role Playing Game.

PC = computer. Technically, consoles are computers too but given their extremely limited functionality and the fact they are commonly referred to as 'consoles', I think it's better to assume that CRPG = PC RPG.

43. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 17:01 Creston

Hmmm, I always thought CRPG just meant Computer Role Playing Game

It does. I have no idea where this "A CRPG is a PC RPG" idea came from. Traditionally it has always stood for Computer Role Playing Game.

Creston

42. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 16:53 Jerykk

Oh yeah, I forgot about Neverwinter Nights. Okay, I guess BG2 was Bioware's last good CRPG Though, KotoR was essentially a CRPG too, even though it was designed for the Xbox.

As for the term itself, I think it's important. You have JRPGs, which are completely different from western RPGs. Then you have console RPGs, which tend to be action games with RPG elements. When I think of CRPG, I think of an RPG designed for the PC. It is usually party-based, has turn-based combat (though it may happen in real-time without waiting on each turn) and it has an isometric camera, though there are exceptions (like The Witcher and Gothic). Dragon Age fits the traditional definition perfectly.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2009, 16:54.

41. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 15:28 Jonny

A "CRPG" is a PC rpg. You are right about NWN, but the other ones you mention were console RPG's that were ported (excellently) to PC.

Hmmm, I always thought CRPG just meant Computer Role Playing Game, to differentiate them from the PnPRPGs. I remember the phrase from Ultima VII and Underworld days, before the advent of console RPGs, so I didn't think it made a distinction between them. Anyway, apologies if I got that wrong.

40. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 14:39 Z9000

Z9000, I sincerely hope you aren't going to play this on the PS3..

I already have the full meal deal ordered for PS3.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

39. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 10:50 PHJF

KotOR, while a console game first I suppose, felt like a PC styled RPG.

Exactly. KotOR was nothing more than an AD&D game with every word in the rulebook switched out for "force" or "lightsabre." Which was great.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

38. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 09:07 Prez

Well, knowing Jerykk, I'm pretty sure he was using my definition.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 08:49 StingingVelvet

A "CRPG" is a PC rpg. You are right about NWN, but the other ones you mention were console RPG's that were ported (excellently) to PC.

KotOR, while a console game first I suppose, felt like a PC styled RPG. I always assumed CRPG meant in the classic PC rpg style, which KotOR was. Jade Empire and Mass Effect, not so much (but still great games with great PC ports).

Honestly I tend to just use Western RPG and Japanese RPG, myself.

36. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 07:57 Prez

Apart from NWN + expansions, Jade Empire, KotoR and Mass Effect.

- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 06:37 Jonny

Forcing a "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" tag onto this?

In a way, this tag is accurate. This is the first CRPG Bioware has made since BG2.

Apart from NWN + expansions, Jade Empire, KotoR and Mass Effect.

34. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 05:17 Jerykk

Z9000, I sincerely hope you aren't going to play this on the PS3..  

33. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 03:12 Z9000

I'm keeping the Bioware faith until they drop the ball on a game, I won't worry over risk until they do. However, Alistair seems pretty uninteresting and I get the feeling there are going to be more than a few bad dialog moments...

A feature list (Copy and paste from Gamestop) like this is worthy of anticipation, even if some of it is marketing puffery.

* A Stunning World to Explore: BioWare’s deepest universe to date with over 80 hours of gameplay and more than double the size and scope of Mass Effect
o Travel throughout dozens of environments and fully immerse yourself in a shattered world that is on the brink of utter annihilation
o An epic story that is completely shaped and reactive to your play style
* Complex Moral Choices: There are no easy choices
o Tailor your Dragon Age: Origins experience from the very beginning by choose from six different Origin Stories
o Decide how to handle complex issues like murder, genocide, betrayal, and the possession/sacrificing of children without the security of a good/bad slider to tell you what to do
* Full Character Customization: Sculpt your hero in your own image or fantasy
o Elaborate character creator allows you to create your own hero unique from anyone else
o Shape your character’s personality and morality based on the choices you make throughout the game
* Engage in Bone-Crushing, Visceral Combat: Battle against massive and terrifying creatures
o Unleash legendary powers and choose from over 100 different magical spells and skills
o Experience the adrenaline rush of brutal combat, beheading your foes or casting spells that make enemies explode from within

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

32. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 01:26 StingingVelvet

Well considering thats really all everybody has to go on...considering the very little substance and meat that has been released on the game...of course its all marketing related. Maybe they should work on their marketing strategy then? If they are not going to release some more ACTUAL info.

Not sure about online, but I got a ton of info from PC Gamer and Game Informer... all you would need to know of the game, really. It's pretty much exactly what the developers have said it is, a Baldur's Gate PC style RPG with different origin stories and starting points depending on your chosen race and class.

The marketing is selling it as a sex and blood a-thon because that is what marketing does. Look at Eastwoond's latest movie, Gran Turino... the trailers sell it as another Dirty Harry movie but it has very little violence at all and is a character drama.

31. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 9, 2009, 00:25 Wag

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Actually, I'm pretty happy as this will give me more time to play Borderlands (which was supposed to come out the same day anyways) .

30. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 8, 2009, 22:15 Tony!!!

I know it won't happen, but I'm really hoping this will be as good as Baldurs Gate was. awwwwwwwww  
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

29. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Delay Aug 8, 2009, 21:52 Shagwood

Well considering thats really all everybody has to go on...considering the very little substance and meat that has been released on the game...of course its all marketing related. Maybe they should work on their marketing strategy then? If they are not going to release some more ACTUAL info.  

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo