Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It was 13 years ago yesterday that we learned that John Romero was parting ways with id Software. For what it's worth, here's what I wrote about this at the time:

"Just my opinion: I think it's going to be difficult for both Carmack and Romero in the future (I know... poor bastard millionaires). Everything that each produces from now on will be judged against Doom and Quake. If these future endeavors fall short (easy enough to do--those are tough acts to follow), it will be said that the disappointment is the result of the break-up of their winning chemistry. It's got to be a drag always hearing that what you're doing now lacks the genius of what you used to do. Carmack & Romero stand a chance of being the Lennon & McCartney of computer game software.

I hope I'm wrong... "

Retro Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Roly-Poly Eliminator.
LaserBox.
The Awakening RPG.
Stories: Revisiting Abbey Road 40 years on.
Salmonella illnesses prompt beef recall: USDA.
Chinese bride gets married in 1.4 mile-long wedding dress.
Science: Mars Life Looks Increasingly Unlikely.
Nicotine improves brain function in schizophrenics. Thanks Slashdot.
Harvesting algae to power sophisticated unmanned aircraft.
Media: Louis CK - Boys and Girls. NSFW.
Women Write Letters Of Complaint Into Top Gear.
Follow-ups: Large Hadron Collider to restart at half its designed energy. Thanks Slashdot.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2009, 14:09 swaaye

I agree about the Masters of Doom book.

As a Wisconsin resident, I was particularly entertained by their inability to deal with our "horrible" winters. Raven is in Madison, WI and id was almost literally down the street for a while. That's how they got started collaborating and how Heretic/Hexen came about.

I can't help but feel that id's later games would've been even more interesting if Romero hadn't split.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2009, 14:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2009, 05:59 RenownWolf

For those who may be interested in it "Masters of Doom" book is awesome for a slightly dramatic history lesson into Carmack and Romero's past.

Good read though it ends during the primetime of Q3A rather than after that.

http://www.renownwolf.com

18. Re: Hadron Collider at half energy Aug 9, 2009, 03:07 Creston

Alas, they will be saggy like you've never seen before.

:-cries-:

Creston

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 22:17 zirik

Where is Romero these days?

Gazillion Entertainment.

i thought he got trapped between killcreeks upgraded cleavage.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 18:45 jimnms

Ok, I take some of it back... Wikipedia quote of Romero's Id tenure...
Romero worked at id Software from its incorporation in 1991 until 1996. He was involved in the creation of several milestone games, including Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Doom II and Quake. He also served as Executive Producer (and Game Designer) on Heretic and HeXen. He wrote the original map editor for Doom (DoomED) that was used for level design. He also designed most of the first episode of Doom.

That is interesting. The first episode of DooM was the best. I actually didn't much care for the other 2 episodes in terms of level design. DooM II was pretty much a bunch of the same, but I did have a lot of fun playing MP coop with a friend with my blazing fast 14.4k modem.

Ah blue, you were right back then to a respect as we all know. Accept on Carmacks end. In terms of Id's games he had a few more super successes, particularly Quake 2. I consider it the best FPS I've ever played in terms of its multiplayer, and even its single player is IMHO one of the best.

Quake (both 1 & 2) IMO had crappy single player. Quake 1's SP had awesome looking levels, but the weapons and monsters didn't fit with the rest of the game. Quake 2's SP was pretty much the same, but the MP, once the mods started coming out, was great. I actually don't remember much any of Quake2's single player, but I remember a lot of the levels of Quake 1.

MeanJim on Steam

15. Re: Hadron Collider at half energy Aug 8, 2009, 18:39 Cutter

Romero like Roper have the ability to surround themselves and exploit the real talented people and make themselves look good in the process. It's when they actually start to believe their own bullshit and go off on their own and think they're the real talent that they wake up to the epic fail and start to realize it was never them all along.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 18:24 Dev

LOL  

13. Re: Hadron Collider at half energy Aug 8, 2009, 16:48 osage no onna

Alas, they will be saggy like you've never seen before.  

12. Re: Hadron Collider at half energy Aug 8, 2009, 16:16 Creston

by my reckoning the black hole created will only sink people up to or just beyond their waist.

At least there will still be boobies! Dance

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 16:15 Creston

I'd say that was fairly clairvoyant of you, Blue.

Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 14:08 nin

For what it's worth, here's what I wrote about this at the time:

Ah-hahahaha...excellent call there, Blue.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 13:44 SirKnight

I liked (and still do) Romero's maps the best.

Romero was a big part of the humor in id's early games. Something that was obviously suddenly gone once he left. I have always thought one of the main reasons id's early games were so good was because of Romero (and of course Carmack's programming genius). I firmly believe that Doom 3 would have turned out A LOT better if Romero was involved. But it turned out to be a game that didn't feel like a Doom game or have that "Doom look" at all.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 13:33 Hump

Romero, of course, ended up being the Ringo Starr of that break-up.......  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

7. Re: Hadron Collider at half energy Aug 8, 2009, 13:33 Hoop

Does that mean only half the earth will be detroyed when it restarts?

No, Ive just completed the calculations & by my reckoning the black hole created will only sink people up to or just beyond their waist.

Um .. Behind you...

6. Re: Hadron Collider at half energy Aug 8, 2009, 13:12 banddirector

Does that mean only half the earth will be destroyed when it restarts?

edit: Sat. morning spelling issues ...

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2009, 14:17.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 12:45 Fion

Ah blue, you were right back then to a respect as we all know. Accept on Carmacks end. In terms of Id's games he had a few more super successes, particularly Quake 2. I consider it the best FPS I've ever played in terms of its multiplayer, and even its single player is IMHO one of the best.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 12:37 wtf_man

Romero only built levels... and he wasn't the only one. Adrian Carmack came up with the Art... so he was more valuable to the chemistry of John Carmack's programming, than John Romero (IMO).

Given Romero's failure in the industry since leaving Id... that says it all.

EDIT:

Ok, I take some of it back... Wikipedia quote of Romero's Id tenure...

Romero moved to Shreveport, Louisiana in March 1989 and joined Softdisk as a programmer in its Special Projects division. After several months of helping the PC monthly disk magazine Big Blue Disk, he officially moved into the department until he started a PC gaming division in July 1990 named Gamer's Edge (originally titled PCRcade). Romero hired John Carmack into the department from his freelancing in Kansas City, moved Adrian Carmack into the division from Softdisk's art department, and persuaded Tom Hall to come in at night and help with game design. Romero and the others then left Softdisk to form id Software.

Romero worked at id Software from its incorporation in 1991 until 1996. He was involved in the creation of several milestone games, including Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Doom II and Quake. He also served as Executive Producer (and Game Designer) on Heretic and HeXen. He wrote the original map editor for Doom (DoomED) that was used for level design. He also designed most of the first episode of Doom.

So, he also programmed and designed... I didn't know that. I still think "The Carmacks" were the main driving forces in the company, though.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2009, 12:51.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 12:28  Blue 

Gazillion Entertainment.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Top Gear Aug 8, 2009, 12:06 Sphinx

Top Gear truly is the best show on TV right now.  
-Sphinx

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2009, 12:05 raVen

Carmack just proves he was the brains behind the two. (That and his totally brilliant programming abilities.)

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo