Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DoubleBear's Zombie RPG

The Iron Tower Forums shed a little light on what's up with newly revealed developer DoubleBear Productions (thanks Jon). We're talking a zombie RPG:

Was hoping to save this for a rainy day, but it is cloudy here in Seattle today, so here we go. As the speculators have correctly guessed, yes, DoubleBear’s first game is indeed a Zombie RPG, which we have fondly referred to as a ZRPG internally. Before people start running in all kinds of directions with that, here’s what I will confirm:

-Set during the breakdown of society as emergence of zombies causes widespread panic and disorder.

-Slow, shambling zombies. Spreads like a virus/bite transmission. No, you are not a zombie, that would be stupid.

-Serious examination of a national crisis or natural disaster. Humans and a lack of order are a bigger threat than the undead. Think Hurricane Katrina, Children of Men, Dawn of the Dead NOT Resident Evil, Return of the Living Dead, zombie shooter-type games.

-Game is about survival. Scavenging resources, exploring the area, dealing with other survivors, and managing a “shelter” of sorts are the main focus of the game. More on this later.

-Game is open-ended. There are characters and events that could happen, but the story depends on where you go, what you do, and who you meet. Of course, there’s a lot more to this and we'll go into more details as time goes on.

We’ll be here often shooting down the wildest of theories and discussing our systems in more detail. Let’s start the old back and forth, shall we?

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 9, 2009, 15:34 Jonny

It's about the survivors of a disaster. Zombies are used to make things interesting, but it's already been said that it could be any disaster that makes society break down. It's a combat light rpg devoted to the interactions between survivors of the zombie holocaust, not a run n gun zombie killer.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 9, 2009, 11:56 Paranoid Jack

"Agreed, though it's stated here that the zombies are infected with a virus, rather than being genuinely undead. It would still make sense to have slow zombies though, as the virus could deteriorate their muscles. The freshly infected would be less deteriorated and thus faster and stronger.

The infection mechanics could also be very interesting. What if one of your party members gets bitten? Do you kill him/her on the spot or try to hold off and find a cure? If you already have a cure, do you use it on anyone that gets infected or just your favorites? And if you have a cure, what are other non-infected willing to do to get it? Hell, what do you do if you get infected yourself? The forum post says you don't play a zombie but you may still be able to get infected and have a limited time to save yourself. And if you do get infected, would that make zombies ignore you because they only care about non-infected? If so, you could gain access to places that would be suicide runs for non-infected. I really hope the game explores all the potential depth that infection mechanics could provide."

I love where you were going with that. I hope they use all of those ideas and more.

"it would only be interesting if you were half-zombie.. infected in some way but still mostly coherent, perhaps phasing in and out of "zombie mode" or some shit like this - it also wouldn't work that well with shambling, slow type zombies because that would be fucking annoying to play"

I was thinking along these lines also. Only slow Zombies would get stale. But if your team can or does get infected that adds tons of possibilities. Once infected there could be a set time range giving the player so many hours (minimum & maximum) before total control is lost. The story-line could also include a vaccine that was not widely distributed for one reason or another. Giving the player even more game-play options... if he/she has the vaccine in their posesion.

Also there could be a scale set into motion once infect the player gradually becomes faster and stronger than a normal human. Reaching that peak you could plateau or start a decline to eventually reach the brain dead shambler focused on nothing but feeding. During the entire process you would have to closely monitor your attributes since they would gradually change... for better and worse.

Sounds like a game I'd buy for full price.

"when the fuck is age of decadence coming out? dude - bring it already

having an age of impatience over here "

Yeah, I stopped visiting the site regularly because my frustration was mounting. I'm keeping a distant eye on it. Still it's painfully slow getting here.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2009, 12:00.

26. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 21:34 space captain

it would only be interesting if you were half-zombie.. infected in some way but still mostly coherent, perhaps phasing in and out of "zombie mode" or some shit like this - it also wouldnt work that well with shambling, slow type zombies because that would be fucking annoying to play

but i guess an RPG is the best take on the zombie genre ive heard so far.. good luck and hopefully it will be released in less than a decade, but im not holding my breath

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2009, 21:35.

Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 20:41 Jerykk

If you can't reasons how or why to play a zombie I'd say you don't have very much imagination to begin with and that's not a good sign for someone who wants to make RPGs.

You're kinda missing the point of the game. It's about the survivors, not the zombies. Playing as a zombie wouldn't give you much in the way of choice. NPC interaction would be limited to eating brains. In fact the whole game would basically be about eating brains. Stubbs was a humorous game but it wouldn't work as a serious RPG.

24. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 18:30 Cutter

No, you are not a zombie, that would be stupid.

Why would it be stupid? Ever play Stubbs the Zombie? That was a hoot! If you can't reasons how or why to play a zombie I'd say you don't have very much imagination to begin with and that's not a good sign for someone who wants to make RPGs.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 10:35 Acleacius

They were asking for customer contributions a while back which didn't give me a good feeling as to their status.
That's becasue they are tying to make a real RPG, which doesn't exist to corporate financiers like publishers. Since pubs want shovelware, out the door asap, want epic amounts of the property as collateral, rights to control/stop development and set dates finished/stable or not.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 10:27 beaves

zombie survival guide

[url=]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide[/url]

21. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 10:04 VultureMAN

The DEVs have mentioned resources for your "allies". And that Society has broken down, which historically means over two-thirds of the people are incapacitated/dead. So I repeat , there are plenty of resources for those few who go out and lead.
Also the DEVs deliberately emphasize cars blocking roads and gas stations w/o power, so they are trying to make this a walkabout. Thus the concept of survivor motorcyclists w/ hand cranked gas pumps and 30' of tubing seems to stretch their game concept. It is also too much of a force multiplier since you can tow a single wheeled travois behind a bike and haul a bunch of salvaged resources.

/so modern era with zombie infestation ... but British style with no personal transport allowed

20. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 10:03 LittleMe

when the fuck is age of decadence coming out? dude - bring it already

Yeah I've been watching that game too. I'm very interested. I'm okay to wait though. They were asking for customer contributions a while back which didn't give me a good feeling as to their status.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

19. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 07:55 Koshmar

This sounds like it's a nod to the books "World War Z" and "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks. those are must reads for zombie fanatics.  

18. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 07:10 Jerykk

For a game I'd want a mix - there's only so much bad guy variety you can get from zombies unless you do the L4D mutation thing, though you can have bad guy survivors (which this game seems to be concentrating on).

To be fair, zombie movies have never really been about zombies. It's always about the survivors and how they cope in a world where laws and order no longer apply.

17. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 07:02 StingingVelvet

It sounds damn amazing... they better maintain funding and release this sucker!  

16. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 06:35 DG

Fast zombies are much more fashionable than shufflers since 28 Days Later. For a game I'd want a mix - there's only so much bad guy variety you can get from zombies unless you do the L4D mutation thing, though you can have bad guy survivors (which this game seems to be concentrating on).  

15. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 04:30 Jonny

Woohoo! My first news post on Blues! All the years I've been reading and I'd never thought of submitting something I'd found before.

Ahem....

I am very intrigued. Please oh please, give it a raised 3rd person perspective like Fallout and Arcanum.

As far as I know it's based off the engine for Age of Decadence, which is going to be a traditional isometric, turn based rpg like Fallout and Arcanum.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2009, 04:30.

14. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 02:36 BobBob

We need more zombie games. Games with good AI are too complicated and hurt brain.  

13. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 01:38 eRe4s3r

Damn i'd love to play something like that too, maybe not x-com in the sense of turn based - but tactical shooter with squad management and building a base / scavenging and recapturing of city's

Hell it could even be all procedural generated...
But then again, chances for that happening (given that it would be a 18+) are like Nil, short of an Indy developer picking it up

12. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 01:20 Creston

Could be fun.

Creston

11. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 01:15 Jerykk

However, I think a hybrid of fast and slow zombies would be better. Fast zombies for those that have been killed in less that 72 hours with the others moving more slowly there after.

Agreed, though it's stated here that the zombies are infected with a virus, rather than being genuinely undead. It would still make sense to have slow zombies though, as the virus could deteriorate their muscles. The freshly infected would be less deteriorated and thus faster and stronger.

The infection mechanics could also be very interesting. What if one of your party members gets bitten? Do you kill him/her on the spot or try to hold off and find a cure? If you already have a cure, do you use it on anyone that gets infected or just your favorites? And if you have a cure, what are other non-infected willing to do to get it? Hell, what do you do if you get infected yourself? The forum post says you don't play a zombie but you may still be able to get infected and have a limited time to save yourself. And if you do get infected, would that make zombies ignore you because they only care about non-infected? If so, you could gain access to places that would be suicide runs for non-infected. I really hope the game explores all the potential depth that infection mechanics could provide.

10. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 00:28 space captain

when the fuck is age of decadence coming out? dude - bring it already

having an age of impatience over here

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: DoubleBear's Zombie RPG Aug 8, 2009, 00:17 Acleacius

I smell a love story, will we be able to have zombie sex?  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo