Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday

LucasArts Tweets about a back-catalog game announcement on Monday, throwing advance water on hopes it is X-Wing. Is it possible it relates to this Twitpic from Telltale Games? Update: No, it's not TIE Fighter either. Here's word from LucasArts:

Got a back-catalog announcement on Monday. It's not X-Wing! I'm heading THAT rumor off at the pass!

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 8, 2009, 05:04 Optimaximal

The Telltale Twitpic was a teaser of Steve Purcell's Tales of Monkey Island pre-order DVD cover art.

http://twitpic.com/d3njp

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 8, 2009, 01:36 StingingVelvet

Yeah, and what are they going to release? Games that can be easily adapted to consoles and target a casual audience, or more hardcore sims that target a niche audience?

Considering it's being hinted at exactly as before, and is a catalogue announcement, it is 99% likely to be more Steam releases. You shouldn't assume it is a new game, a remake, or anything else like that.

20. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 8, 2009, 00:34 Surf

" This actually makes it sound like they're aware of how many people want X-Wing. That's a good sign. "

No, LA is a FOR PROFIT company that treats their employee's like dog shit. I know several people that do and did work there. HORRIBLE, greedy, arrogant fuck wads work there.

LA doesn't do anything for the art of games and LF doesn't know how to make good movies anymore.

Time to cut the fat and get rid of George. Guy is a fucking money grubbing fat fuck slob.

19. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 23:24 Yifes

Monkey Island's point and click interface is pretty easy to adapt for consoles, esp the Wii, and the nature of the game is suitable for a casual audience. Lucasarts can draw in many new players than the oldschool gamers.

Any $15 gamepad has two joysticks on it, and work fine in these types of games. I played X-wing Alliance with my Xbox 360 controller and it worked fine.

Really? I suppose you can map shield controls to the dpad and such. It'd be awesome if they brought back space sims, instead of console games like Starwars starfighter.

This is a back catalog announcement, it has nothing to do with a new game.

Yeah, and what are they going to release? Games that can be easily adapted to consoles and target a casual audience, or more hardcore sims that target a niche audience?

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2009, 23:29.

18. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 23:07 StingingVelvet

This is a back catalog announcement, it has nothing to do with a new game.  

17. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 23:04 Charlie_Six

Did 1990's Secret of Monkey Island really do much better than the X-wing games? I was under the impression that X-wing games far surpassed Monkey Island in sales, and yet Monkey Island got a remake.

TIE Fighter was the "Greatest PC game of all time" according to PC Gamer. Monkey Island was not close to that fame, as far as i know.

As for space sims being on life support, I agree. But I think with some tweaks, a game like TIE Fighter can be turned into less "sim" and more arcadey, with much of the entertainment left intact.

Games like Ace Combat have sold enough copies to create 7+ games, and they're not enormously different than X-wing, IMO. I played TIE Fighter last year and thought the game was pretty simple. It's not really much of a sim. A lot of the keys are unnecessary to victory. They're more like window dressing..

Finally, joystick requirements don't strike me as big hurdles at all. Any $15 gamepad has two joysticks on it, and work fine in these types of games. I played X-wing Alliance with my Xbox 360 controller and it worked fine.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2009, 23:06.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

16. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 22:22 Yifes

Jesus, they KNOW how much everyone wants X-Wing, why aren't they working on it?

Because no major publisher in their right minds are going to release a space simulation game that requires a joystick to play. The genre's been on life support for years, and even if Lucasarts decides to "revive" it, it's going to be in the form of a multi-platform release.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2009, 23:01.

15. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 21:00 StingingVelvet

Booooo hissss, etc.

Creston

Because for everyone wanting an X-Wing rerelease there are also people that want Loom, Dark Forces, Sam and Max and whatever else?

They can't release everything all at once.

14. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 20:38 Creston

Booooo hissss, etc.

Creston

13. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 20:27 Kxmode

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Smash  

12. Re: OUTLAWS!! Aug 7, 2009, 20:24 Cabezone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX9GLacmUU&feature=PlayList&p=D26FB5C9DBF2F4DD&index=1

I second Outlaws.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

11. Re: OUTLAWS!! Aug 7, 2009, 20:05 Techie714

I hope it's OUTLAWS, man that game was so bad ass!!!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

10. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 19:38 shponglefan

X-wing vs Tie Fighter FTW!

<j/k>

9. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 19:37 Wolfen

Dark foces!?!?!?!  

8. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 19:18 StingingVelvet

More back catalogue games on Steam I would imagine... though I suppose it could be another remake, which would be rather awesome.  

7. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 19:07 Wildone

Thats good news, maybe means they are working on a NEW X-wing title. I just pray its got the same level of depth or more than the old ones had, with truly next gen graphics. True to life size capital ships and many many ship battles. Dont consolize it..  

6. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 19:04 DarkCntry

WHY NOT JUST DO XWING YOU DOLTS!

A part of me wants them to do it, but a much larger part of me doesn't simply because I'm sure it'll piss someone off and we'll have more internet firestorms about how LucasArts only knows how to ruin franchises...after-all, there's absolutely no way that they could even reach the level of quality that our nostalgia has made for the X-Wing/TIE series.

5. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 18:58 xXBatmanXx

WHY NOT JUST DO XWING YOU DOLTS!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 18:37 DangerDog

Sounds like it's time for another DoS attack on Twitter!  

3. Re: Not X-Wing LucasArts Retro Announcement Monday Aug 7, 2009, 18:28 Drayth

So it's Tie Fighter!! Sweeeeeet!!!!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo