Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Huxley Beta Opens

The Huxley Beta on FilePlanet is now open to all US and Canadian users with registered FilePlanet or IGN memberships, as a paid subscription is no longer required. Huxley: The Dystopia is an MMOFPS, and word is the game "combines the white-knuckle action and player vs. player combat of your favorite first-person shooters with the social interactions, large-scale battles, character growth and persistent gameplay of your favorite online RPGs." Thanks Massively.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Huxley Beta Opens FRUSTRATING Aug 6, 2009, 01:31 Kxmode

Gave it a try. Not my game. Uninstalled. I wish them luck though.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Huxley Beta Opens FRUSTRATING Aug 5, 2009, 13:25 DarkCntry

Except this is not a true closed beta. Anyone can go to FilePlanet, register a free account, and get a beta key.

Which is why I also added the part about "depending on the development cycle"....

The point is is that this isn't a really new thing. Sure it's not as common but it's not unheard of.

18. Re: Huxley Beta Opens FRUSTRATING Aug 5, 2009, 13:22 Kxmode

There have been many closed betas that are conducted like this

Except this is not a true closed beta. Anyone can go to FilePlanet, register a free account, and get a beta key.

17. Re: Huxley Beta Opens FRUSTRATING Aug 5, 2009, 08:23 DarkCntry

2pm - 9pm beta testing? Are they serious? No serious MMO beta test would be conducted like this...

There have been many closed betas that are conducted like this, for example, Champ Online used to be twice a week from 10am-Midnight Pacific before a couple weeks ago. It's been doing open weekends, but it's still locked down all other times.

It all depends on the development cycle of the game and how it pertains to pushing the patches in a meaningful manner.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2009, 08:24.

16. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 5, 2009, 08:12 [THA] Hamst3r

a massively multiplayer online first person shooter (MMOFPS) called Huxley, that leverages the latest Unreal 3 game engine and is scheduled to release in 2006

Right on schedule! Allthumbsup

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

15. Re: Huxley Beta Opens FRUSTRATING Aug 5, 2009, 04:27 Asmodai

I think we're all still waiting for someone to capture the battle feel of Planetside combined with the compelling nature of MMO's (PS just felt empty after a while, getting to BR20CR5 and then chasing a zerg around the map looking for a battle sucked at the end)

It seems Huxley is not going to do it either.

14. Re: Huxley Beta Opens FRUSTRATING Aug 5, 2009, 02:47 Kxmode

2pm - 9pm beta testing? Are they serious? No serious MMO beta test would be conducted like this...  

13. Re: Huxley Beta Opens FRUSTRATING Aug 5, 2009, 02:07 ledhead1969

After I D/L it from FP it did patch when the running the game...but it didn't re-download the whole thing.  

12. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 5, 2009, 01:55 Beaner

seems like matches are of normal fps size for this genre.. 32 or so and i believe it supports 64 players, and yes there are vehicles as well.

Well I can always play tribes or planetside for 32 -64. Its been doing that for years.

the actual gameplay reminds me most (in fact strikingly similar) to Quake 2. not Q3, not UT or any of those - but strongly like Q2.. for instance the rocket launcher has a practically identical feel to it, and it gibs just like one as well...

Wow ok now you made me want to try this out.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2009, 01:57.

11. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 23:51 NKD

The Huxtables!  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 22:29 zincthallinide

If you have Windows XP 64, don't bother, GameGuard won't work.

I've been in on the beta since the first closed phase, and the game has never worked on XP64. I realize XP64 is not very popular compared to most other Windows flavors, but it gives me a bad impression since I'm sure other GameGuard titles work with XP64 perfectly.

And WTF is GameGuard anyway, do these 'extra anti-cheating layers' ever actually work? Anything can be circumvented.. ehh..

F U HUXLEY

9. Re: Huxley Beta Opens FRUSTRATING Aug 4, 2009, 21:21 Blatz

The mechanics of this game, not the setting, remind of the failed MMO "Fury" - http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54034

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2009, 21:22.

8. Re: Huxley Beta Opens FRUSTRATING Aug 4, 2009, 20:48 Marduk

I just finished downloading the friggin close to 4 gb client now on the website its trying to d/l it all over again despite the fact I have installed it?? WTF?

What is the point of the Fileplanet file if they want you to d/l it AGAIN from their own website???

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2009, 20:54.

7. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 20:16 space captain

im in the beta.. its an MMO in the sense that there is a main city hub, and NPCs that give out missions and so forth - but all the action takes place in instanced areas, where you can co-op on PvE or do PvP in a skirmish mode thats instantly accessible from anywhere

seems like matches are of normal fps size for this genre.. 32 or so and i believe it supports 64 players, and yes there are vehicles as well

the actual gameplay reminds me most (in fact strikingly similar) to Quake 2. not Q3, not UT or any of those - but strongly like Q2.. for instance the rocket launcher has a practically identical feel to it, and it gibs just like one as well...

that was a bit surprising to me, and i found myself digging it in a nostalgic way - but then again, its basically Q2 - so prepare for bunny hopping out the ass and so forth

they mix it up with classes and skillslot powers, plus you can buy tons of crazy shit and find loot and so forth

its not planetside, thats for sure - overall im not sure if its something i would buy.. as the Q2 style fps gaming to me is more of something im down with on the cheap, and certainly not as a subscription service

there is persistance to your character, you level up and get skill upgrades and better equipment, more skills and so forth - but overall the tweaks are fairly minor and there isnt any kind of complex ability tree (that i know of) or something like that

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 19:43 DangerDog

No game I'm aware of is going to have 200+ person battles with grunts, tanks and aircraft.

That playstation 3 game that looks like a Battlefield clone, suppose to have 200+ player but I'll believe it when I see it.

5. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 19:14 Nate

I played their early beta. Left a bad taste in my mouth. PvP was typical UT with lots of jumping. The PvE was poor and instanced.

Hopefully things have improved greatly. Would also like to hear some feedback on how it is recently.

Global Agenda is another MMOFPS, its not going to be a PlanetSide though. No game I'm aware of is going to have 200+ person battles with grunts, tanks and aircraft.

4. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 19:01 Frijoles

Had GameGuard last I saw.. or whatever that shit thing is called. Just be aware of that.

Edit: I'd give you a review, but I can't get it to run due to the aforementioned shit it installed on my machine.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2009, 19:02.

3. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 19:01 ColoradoHoudini

I'm hearing that this game has microtransactions, has a lobby in which you pair up with people in.. then go into combat.. in your own instanced area - there's no large MMO world (think of the instanced areas of Guild Wars) and the game lacks much of anything other than CoD 4 style stats that makes the game persistent in any sort of way.

Can anyone here with a solid MMO/FPS background gimme the scoop on what this game is really about, I'd appreciate it.

I'm really getting the feeling it's not an MMO in the sense of everything an MMO brings to the table, but a persistent UT type game. If that's the case, it's a shame, I could really use a good MMOFPS.. like Planetside 2.. but way better/deeper.

--I don't have time to download it/play this semi-open beta just yet

2. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 18:45 Talisorn

Indeed. It's not "open to all".  

1. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 18:38 Buckermann

The FilePlanet beta test for Huxley: The Dystopia is only available to players in US and Canada.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo