Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New Left 4 Dead DLC Next Month

Valve announces Crash Course, new DLC for Left 4 Dead they will release next month to provide additional content for the zombie shooter. The September DLC release will be 560 points for Xbox 360 and free for Windows:

Entitled "Crash Course," the latest DLC delivers new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay to both platforms. Targeted for release in September, "Crash Course" bridges the gap between the end of the "No Mercy" campaign and the beginning of "Death Toll" in the original game, expanding the game universe with new locations, new dialogue from the original cast, and an explosive finale

While containing both Survival maps and a Co-operative Campaign, the primary goal of "Crash" is to deliver a complete Versus mode experience in just 30 minutes, resulting in a streamlined version of the game's existing Versus campaigns. A recharge timer for infected teammates has also been added, and item spawn behavior has changed for more balanced gameplay.

"Since the release of Left 4 Dead last November, the design team has been excited about creating new experiences for this world and allowing players to do the same, by releasing much of our internal toolset, like the Survival Pack and Authoring Tools," said Gabe Newell. "We're working with the fans toward the ongoing entertainment value of the product."

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 7, 2009, 12:26 Jerykk

The industry listens to us more carefully than you guys, look at Wipeout HD.

Right. And that's why Capcom made all the dubious SF4 and RE5 DLC free after people complained and... oh wait, no they didn't. How about when Rockstar decided to release the GTA4 DLC for all platforms and... oh wait, that didn't happen either.

There are times when publishers listen to gamers, though this tends to be a rare occurrence. Publishers have listened to gamers' complaints about DRM, which is why they've toned it down and/or removed it since its inception. Publishers listened to gamers' complaints about Starforce, which is why Starforce is dead. Valve listens to gamers' complaints about TF2's unlockables, which is why they've changed them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 19:31 xXBatmanXx

Suckers? I'm happy to pay for DLC, I think devs should be rewarded for their work when it's worthwhile. You're the sucker, the devs will work harder to please the segment of the market paying money for things

The ONLY thing you are paying for is licensing.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

48. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 18:21 Dev

DG:
Whats worse is when the bots use the medpack on YOU.
Because when after they start you become IMMOBILE and CANNOT move. I mean come on, at least let me cancel if I dont want a heal right now.

I've had that happen on the way to teh choppah in no mercy finale (because someone on our team had left)... on the ramp.... with a tank behind us... Yes please, don't let me run to the choppah and escape, please stop me so the tank can kill me, kthx.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2009, 19:41.

47. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 18:05 DG

I'd settle for stopping them from using my medpack on anybody with less than half HP just because I went idle.  

46. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 17:59 Ronin

Playing on higher difficulties like expert is essentially impossible on single player since the bots are quite dumb.

Ain't that the truth. I mean, really...I understand it would be difficult to code them to be able to use explosives correctly, but is it too much to ask to be able to ask a bot for his/her explosive (and obviously have them pick them up)

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
http://gamershots.net

45. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 16:14 Dev

toon:
Only problem is, L4D is not really the kinda game that does anything for someone to pirate it. You'd only get single player in that case. The game as a single player game really doesn't have much of anything going for it. You could play the campaigns once or twice through then they'd quickly get boring without other people.

Playing on higher difficulties like expert is essentially impossible on single player since the bots are quite dumb.

44. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 15:53 Ronin

I don't know if you guys have seen the movie poster for this chapter ( here), but...is that a Strider in the background? ... Or am I just dreaming, thinking that a developer would be working on that level of devious creativity?

Sadly, you're dreaming. Looks to be the wreckage of a helicopter, which would make sense, since this is supposed to take place between No Mercy and Death Toll.

-Azrael

43. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 15:40 Krovven

I believe Valve had said in an interview, they only get 15mb or less for a "free" patch. Anything larger they get charged for, thus have to charge the customer as well.

42. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 14:48 DG

Also curious as to why 360 players have to pay for it. PC player here... just curious.
Valve have moaned before about how MS wants them to charge for everything they release. I think there's some kind of size limitation, like if you release a game you get (say) 50mb for patches, for 1600 point DLC you get 500mb, 800p = 250mb, and so on.

560p is an unusual figure for DLC (usually multiples of 400) so I'm guessing they've been negotiating with MS on this. I expect this isn't 100% MS's cut though, given the amount of content you can get for 1600p (and I guess MS takes anywhere 1/4 to 1/2).

41. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 14:46 Evil Timmy

I don't know if you guys have seen the movie poster for this chapter ( here), but...is that a Strider in the background? There have been little hints that Valve's games are tied together, none more obvious than Portal and HL2:EP2, but is this a step further? After the next incarnations of HL2, Portal, and L4D, could we see HL3 tie up how all these worlds are connected?

Aperture Science was, however loosely, tied to Black Mesa, and it seems like they were working in related aspects of portal research. Aliens came through the portal, and already had a way of infecting and controlling us, via headcrabs. Couldn't one of their diseases, or even one of our diseases faced with their alien biology, have mutated into the plague that's facing the protagonists of L4D? And might the Combine have had an easier time conquering Earth if most of its population were already dead? (IE the gap between HL and HL2) If they had intended it, they could simply have activated a biological kill switch to minimize cleanup. The scattered remnants of humanity breathe a confused sigh of relief, only to find themselves invaded by a prepared and powerful alien threat. War is impossible, meaning their only hope is to organize an underground resistance, as seen in HL2 and the Eps. (TF2 and CS are obviously experimental arenas, set up by sadistic and evil alien scientists to test the limits of human endurance and the strength of the human mind when faced by a Valhalla-like circle of endless death, rebirth, and battle.)

Or am I just dreaming, thinking that a developer would be working on that level of devious creativity?

40. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 12:50 Verno

While it's true that devs work harder when paid, that doesn't mean we should be charged for everything. Patches should always be free and if a company promises free DLC, as Valve did, they should hold true to that promise. If you're willing to pay for things you shouldn't have to pay for, that makes you a sucker.

I think you meant "if you paid for things you don't want, that makes a sucker". I never said "oh hey lets throw money at them for no apparent reason and pay for basic patches!". In this case I wouldn't pick it up until I hear from other users how it turns out to be. Whether it's free or not on another platform doesn't impact me in the slightest and frankly the comment was a dig at console users in the first place as if we're all just mindlessly blowing cash at everything we see. The industry listens to us more carefully than you guys, look at Wipeout HD. One day of complaints and the ads were poofed from the game.

I'm happy to part with cash in exchange for value and entertainment. That's why the industry loves gamers like me and doesn't give a rats ass about gamers like you

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

39. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 12:11 Jerykk

You're the sucker, the devs will work harder to please the segment of the market paying money for things.

While it's true that devs work harder when paid, that doesn't mean we should be charged for everything. Patches should always be free and if a company promises free DLC, as Valve did, they should hold true to that promise. If you're willing to pay for things you shouldn't have to pay for, that makes you a sucker.

38. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 11:46 Shooters fanboy

I'm glad they're finally releasing a new campaign but it's a pity this wasn't announced at E3 along with L4D2, even if they hadn't started on it yet. Probably wouldn't be as much L4D2 boycotters if any.  

37. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 11:07 toon

ARGH! THIS CAMPAIGN IS TOO X AND DOESN'T HAVE Y AND SO I SHALL PIRATE IT AND VALVE MUST DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH AND THEY REALLY SUCKS THE COCKS FOR MAKING L4D2 AND I AM AN IMPORTANT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT LIKE PEOPLE GIVE A SHIT ABOUT MY OPINION.

There, no need to comment on this story.

36. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 09:39 Verno

I love the "and free for windows".

Makes me feel great to be a pc gamer. Suckers.

Suckers? I'm happy to pay for DLC, I think devs should be rewarded for their work when it's worthwhile. You're the sucker, the devs will work harder to please the segment of the market paying money for things

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

35. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 05:14 Dev

xXBatmanXx:

I wish valve would let difficulty be an OPTION that you could choose in versus. That would stop teams from simply racing through a level. Unfortunately they've locked servers to normal.

Anyway, it really depends on how much differance there is between skill levels of the teams. On random pub games, if the rest of your team is total suckage and thier team is total ownage, IMHO there's not much point to playing. In that case, I'll often find another game. Usually in that case I'm the best guy on the team. If there's some skill differance but I still feel my team has a chance with proper coordination, I'll try to encourage my teammates and try to coordinate. Often teams like that get cocky and if you work hard you can take them down.

Better though to play with both teams having good players, ideally you'll know enough people to get a good game going. Those are the most fun IMHO, where both teams are quite highly skilled.

Oh another thing, there's that hunter training scenario which can REALLY increase your hunter skills. That can make a huge differance if you are the only good player on a team, you can get in 25 point pounces, jump to places most people dont notice, etc. Most hunter pounces should yield a good hunter bonus points. Even long pounces along the ground where you are on same level as your target can gain you around 8 bonus points for a pounce. Get a few of those in and you can start hurting a team.

Oh and keep your eyes out for people who like going after special infected. You can bait them into separating sometimes Its especially fun if they are a cocky team and doing that leads to their downfall.

34. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 01:16 xXBatmanXx

But, I have been looking for info on it....I hope the game has stops for just rushing through the level. It is so annoying with a 25+ second timer to just have the humans run through the level....what is the point then?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

33. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 01:15 xXBatmanXx

I love the "and free for windows".

Makes me feel great to be a pc gamer. Suckers.

32. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 4, 2009, 22:14 Ronin

What are you on? It's a timer showing the cooldowns on your Infected teammates' abilities, just like the respawn timer.

Yup, figured that out...that's what I get for going off of someone else's supposition and ranting before caffeine had completely kicked in.

-Azrael

31. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 4, 2009, 20:03 Prez

Hey, a new campaign is a new campaign. A little late, but welcome.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo