Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameSetWatch - 'Game Mag Weaseling': A Question of Respect.
This is perhaps a message I've harped on before, but if print media sees itself as lacking respect in the game industry, then it needs to change itself. It needs to focus less on advertising -- it doesn't have any choice in that respect, really -- and more on product. Why does Edge get so much advertising from development outfits and game companies, far more than the size of its readership would seem to demand? Why is Game Informer now just as thin as any other video-game print title, despite now beating Time in circulation?

PC Cohort - The Warhammer Disaster.
No aspects of the game was immune to issues – even “player versus environment” situations. As an example, Lost Vale (an instanced dungeon intended for high level players) had two encounters that were malfunctioning so badly that they could simply not be completed regardless of the skill of the individuals involved. Bugs and exploits needed to be utilized to defeat the encounters.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 4, 2009, 02:58 Jerykk

None of the mags (and the majority of the internet sites as well) are interested in conducting hard interviews that actually call people to the carpet; they aren't interested in developing in-depth articles that looks at aspects of the industry with a critical eye.

This is the biggest problem with journalism as a business. If you're a gaming mag or website, you want people to read you. However, the only way to capture the attention of the masses is to get shiny exclusives. Of course, the only way to get shiny exclusives is to make publishers happy. If you ask the hard questions or try to establish the truth, publishers will ignore you or possibly even sue you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2009, 19:17 space captain

PCXL was the shit, no clue why it didnt go online or become resurrected therein

on a similar note, its nice to see seanbaby is still at work over on "cracked"

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2009, 13:35 Zadig

I used to read Computer Game Strategy Plus in the 90’s, but having to pay to get access to month old news about games you may not be interested in isn’t a viable business model anymore.  

4. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2009, 10:20 the_culture

If magazines want to compete with the internet, they need to focus more on quality writing and features

I believe that is virtually impossible since the vast majority of "writers" are hacks at best. This is an entertainment industry and the readership only wants to be entertained, which usually leads to poorly written and biased reviews, previews full of hype, and "articles" solely based on creating arguments relating to which console is better.

None of the mags (and the majority of the internet sites as well) are interested in conducting hard interviews that actually call people to the carpet; they aren't interested in developing in-depth articles that looks at aspects of the industry with a critical eye.

I look at those mags and most gaming news sites as nothing more than the video game version of Us Weekly or People magazine. Gossip columns and fluff pieces designed to give you 10 minutes of worthless entertainment, only to be throw in the trash afterward.

3. CGW Aug 3, 2009, 09:05 Shok

I loved reading CGW way back in the 80's and 90's. Especially before the internet hit, I made my game buying purchases based on CGW reviews.

There's an awesome database of old CGW mags:

http://cgw.vintagegaming.org/index.php

I miss the old games after reading some of those reviews.

2. Re: Op Ed Aug 2, 2009, 18:23 PHJF

I would still be reading CGW if it were still around.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Op Ed Aug 2, 2009, 17:51 Jerykk

I fondly remember the time when gaming mags were huge. I still have my 200+ page PC Gamers and most of this was actual content, not ads. The current state of mags is pretty sorry. If magazines want to compete with the internet, they need to focus more on quality writing and features and less on news because they simply can't compete with the daily updates of gaming sites. If PCXL was resurrected, I'd buy it simply because it was so fun to read.  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo