Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half of Americans are Gamers?

GameSpot quotes new NPD research indicating more than half of all US citizens are video gamers, which we imagine might include a bit of Solitaire and Minesweeper (the largest demographic identified is "mostly female gamers who play less than four hours a week and don't own a console"). The NPD indulges in their predilection for stereotyping, breaking down gamers into seven categories, which if we had our way would be identified by the names of the seven dwarves, or at least the seven deadly sins. Anyway, here is a bit of breakdown on the US PC gaming scene:

Though it does not lump them into a single category, NPD estimates that some 67.3 million Americans use the PC as their primary gaming platform. Up slightly at 25.9 million were "Online PC Gamers," a mostly female group who spent 73 percent of their eight hours of weekly game time online. The country's 17.3 million "Avid PC Gamers" were the most hardcore PC segment, playing 23 hours a week. Finally, "Offline PC Gamers," totaling 24.1 million, were the polar opposite of their online cousins, spending 82 percent of their time playing unconnected to the Internet.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 3, 2009, 02:23 Jerykk

These statistics are very, very broad. I'm sure they include everything from Solitaire to the games on Newgrounds. Then of course you have WoW. That would explain this: Up slightly at 25.9 million were "Online PC Gamers," a mostly female group who spent 73 percent of their eight hours of weekly game time online.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 2, 2009, 23:40 The PC Warrior

Well seriously, where is the money going then? If not piracy then where? We should be generating a lot more revenue if those numbers are even remotely accurate.  

15. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 2, 2009, 13:08 MuzixMon

Because we are all PIRATES didn't you hear???  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

14. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 2, 2009, 12:28 The PC Warrior

So where is all of the money then? How come PC games generate so little sales?  

13. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 2, 2009, 10:08 space captain

watch out! its a douchebag expert  
Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 2, 2009, 09:39 CreamyBlood

I think they meant 'gamblers'. The gambling industry likes to consider themselves 'gamers'.

11. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 2, 2009, 08:17 osage no onna

Watch out; he'll eRe4s3 you. You'll end up in the statistics  

10. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 2, 2009, 01:34 NKD

I'd like to know how 21000 respondents can be extrapolated to "% of US Citizens"

They can not, will never, and can never be extrapolated that way. This is also why election pre polls are complete bull, just like this representative study or like any representative study.

This just in. Douchebag on some gaming news site disproves statistics and surveys. Clearly he is more credible than people who are experts in the field.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 21:28 Kxmode

I suspect the numbers are higher in Europe and Asia where broadband connectivity has become a staple. Factor in all the numbers, both domestic and foreign, and it's easily more than all the consoles gamers combined.  

8. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 19:41 merc248

Wow, I think I see murder statistics going up sometime soon, amirite?! :O  

7. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 19:41 Sepharo

My mom plays "Fairway Solitaire" for about an hour daily.  

6. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 19:37 Sepharo

Most of all, what the heck is a hardcore gamer, what does "Avid" Gamer mean?

It's explained right there in the blurb:

Avid PC Gamers: play[ing] 23 hours a week

5. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 19:09 space captain

I'd like to know how 21000 respondents can be extrapolated to "% of US Citizens"

its called "rationality". and its sooooo accurate

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 19:06 MuzixMon

I guess my Mother is a gamer 'cause she sure does love Peggle!  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

3. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 18:07 eRe4s3r

They can not, will never, and can never be extrapolated that way. This is also why election pre polls are complete bull, just like this representative study or like any representative study. Most of all, what the heck is a hardcore gamer, what does "Avid" Gamer mean? , whats "mostly" female, transvestites?

2. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 14:50 ldonyo

I'd like to know how the 21,000 respondents were chosen to take the survey.  

1. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 13:13 DG

- "Secondary Gamers" (33.6m), mostly female gamers who play less than four hours a week and don't own a console.
- "Console Gamers" (32.9m), fastest-growing , mostly male, own at least one or two dedicated gaming machines and play around 12 hours per week.
- "Heavy Portable Gamers" (30.0m), shrinking, own at least one portable and are the youngest group, with an average age of 19.
- "Extreme Gamers" (6.1m?) play nearly 40-hours a week.
- "Online PC Gamers" (25.9m), Up slightly, mostly female, who spent 73 percent of their eight hours of weekly game time online.
-"Avid PC Gamers" (17.3m), the most hardcore PC segment, playing 23 hours a week.
-"Offline PC Gamers" (24.1m), spend 82% of their time with singleplayer

Hmm shame there isn't a breakdown of Console vs PC vs browser-based.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo