Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Faster on PC, 360

Computer and Video Games has some news from the new print issue of EDGE Magazine about RAGE, id's upcoming first-person shooting/driving game. Speaking to id Technical Director John Carmack, Edge learned that in its current state, RAGE, powered by id's new Tech 5 engine, runs at 60 frames-per-second on PCs and Xbox 360, but only 20-30 FPS on the PlayStation 3. Carmack says: "The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. The CPU is about the same, but the 360 makes it easier to split things off, and that's what a lot of the work has been, splitting it all into jobs on the PS3." It is not specified what improvement over that, if any, can be expected by the time the game is released. The article also confirms a Mac edition of the game is still in the works.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

86. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Aug 5, 2009, 13:44 theyarecomingforyou

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Rage is 30 FPS and Doom 4 is 60 FPS.
Wrong way round, mate.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

85. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Aug 1, 2009, 02:02 BobBob

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Rage is 30 FPS and Doom 4 is 60 FPS.  

84. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Aug 1, 2009, 00:27 Jerykk

This comes to no surprise to me, most PS3 games ports runs at about 30fps while the 360 versions runs at full speed (60fps).

Uh, what 360 games have you been playing? The vast majority of 360 and PS3 games run at 30 FPS. That's the standard for all consoles.

83. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 14:58 theyarecomingforyou

Hey look, it's Carmack responding, saying the exact same thing I said in post #1 of this entire console fanboy flame bait debacle
Far from it - he's completely skirting the issue. Instead of saying the PS3 version will perform just as well as the X360 on release he's simply saying they are committed to a great experience on all platforms. Don't forget that 30fps is perfectly acceptable as a "great experience" on console, unlike PC. It hasn't changed anything.

Again, why defend the PS3? It hasn't done anything to merit it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

82. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 14:47 Warrax

This comes to no surprise to me, most PS3 games ports runs at about 30fps while the 360 versions runs at full speed (60fps). I own both consoles and have compared same games on both consoles for years so I'm not saying random stuff, this kind of thing always happen to the PS3 unless the game is made exclusively for the console or stuff like that.

Thumbs up to Id if they can bring the PS3 port to full speed, that would be great to have a great PS3 port.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 14:51.

81. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 13:51 elefunk

Hey look, it's Carmack responding, saying the exact same thing I said in post #1 of this entire console fanboy flame bait debacle:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59793

80. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 09:13 Beamer

We all know Z9000 isn't able to approach this conversation critically or rationally. He's living proof that marketing is a very valuable expenditure by these companies. They make ads, he turns them into religion.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see if this recession changes Microsoft's strategy at all. They've denied it a few times, but I still think the earnings expectations for the xbox are nil. Microsoft is smart enough to know that the tv-top box is very valuable real estate. They've had long-term plans of making it a whole media center which are still being realized. I think the entire original Xbox was set up to be a losing prospect and they wrote it off as an investment, so to speak. Just gaining ground. They had higher hopes for the 360 but I still think they'd be ok with it losing money so long as it got them major mindshare in the tv room. This isn't about today for Microsoft, it's about the next 20 years. It's about making sure they (and their software) are the ones bringing you on-demand music, movies, letting you surf the web, and doing whatever else on your TV, not Sony. It's a very smart move, whether it ends up working or not.

I wonder if that view has changed at all.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

79. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 08:49 BobBob

Verno gets a +1 for that one. The open source engine releases from Carmack have done wonders for the indie/open source gaming community -- sincerely.  

78. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 08:33 Verno

AFAIK they are one of the biggest sell-outs in the industry.

You're the sell out. id has done more for the PC gaming industry than most other companies will accomplish in the next 20 years. It's fine to say "I dont like their games anymore" but these guys have been supporting every PC gaming dipshit initiative for the past decade. Everything from full Linux support, patch support, open sourcing their engines and assets, corporate sponsored lan parties, OpenGL and D3D paths for their games not to mention the graphics advances that Carmack has heralded in his time.

I haven't liked recent id games(well Doom 3). They just aren't as fun to me as they used to be. I don't feel Carmack contributes the way he used to with regards to the industry. That doesn't change what he has done however. I won't deny that Carmack and id have earned the right to do whatever they want at this point. Bite your tongue lad, you should be ashamed. It's sad that the console gamer around here has to remind you of this. No wonder PC gaming sucks so much right now, who the hell would want to develop for people like you?

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 08:53.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

77. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 07:22 InBlack

I have stopped giving a shit about RAGE and iD years ago.

AFAIK they are one of the biggest sell-outs in the industry. Good luck to them and their "new" generation of fans. In my eyes they can do no good any more.

Doom4 done right could be something magnificent, and yet they insist on doing a 30FPS game designed for the consoles primarily. John Carmack should give up programming when he's obviously in it for the cash for his pet "space" program.

I have a nifty blue line!

76. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 06:59 BobBob

Z9000,

Very good post. I'm sure you share a lot of our thoughts.

75. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 06:48 The PC Warrior

It's most likely posturing for cash

Why would John Carmack posture for cash from a company known not to give any to developers? That's Microsoft, not Sony. Your statements don't even make sense, sounds like you're just trying to downplay things.

MS is so far in the hole with xbox-- with no solution for the RROD issue on the horizon, they'll never see light. My Elite has been repaired once already, and my brother has had his RROD *3 times*.

I agree it's a big concern but the public at large is pretty happy with the 360 despite having paid multiplayer, horribly priced peripherals and a console prone to failure. That tells you a lot about the competition.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 06:51.

74. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 06:45 Flatline

As much as I wish this was actually true, it's not. They took a big hit on development costs and the warranty writedown but that's all two years old now. XBL is basically printing money at this point and their software attach rate is the strongest in the industry, double the PS3 and Wii put together. They are most definitely recouping losses fast and will easily be on track to develop a new system whenever it pleases them. This is also forgetting the 30 billion war chest that Microsoft is still sitting on, entirely liquid as well. Obviously they are going to milk the current gen for all it's worth before doing anything but the idea that they could not just make a new system is a bit absurd. Microsoft is one of the few companies in a monetary position to write it's own destiny.

Don't forget, MS has even more time to cut Sony's throat next gen. Sony essentially bet the house on PS3. Not Sony Entertainment, but the entire Sony family. The next 10 years of Sony's business was wagered, publicly, on the success of Cell and Blu-ray. Now, BR is another argument, but it's not the wildly popular adoption rates Sony was hoping for, especially when you pull the PS3 out of the figures.

At any rate, Sony *must* generate a profit on the PS3 before they can think about moving on to the next gen. Their idea was to take a hit early and heavy with development of an expensive system, and then let it recoup over 12 years or so. The problem is, MS can run through 2-3 generations of consoles before Sony can bring out the successor to the PS3. If xbox continues to capture market share, and sell mad amounts of games, it is in MS's best interest to *not* revise the hardware too drastically, because 360's finally are turning a profit on each console sold (since 2008 I believe). Something Wii did since day 1, and something PS3 *still* isn't doing, years down the road.

The xbox division is going to make absurd amounts of money on the 360, even with the billion dollar red ring of death warranty extension.

Software attach is another excellent point. An unscientific, informal survey of all the 360 owners I know shows dozens of games. I myself have over 60, and that's RARE for me. I can't think of another console where I have bought that much software. It's more like 80 games if you include XBL Arcade. Even with the xbox console as a loss leader, I probably, honestly, made up the xbox's cost loss from when I bought it with the games I own.

If you really, REALLY want to hurt a video game company, buy a loss-leader console early on, when the loss is at it's highest, and then don't buy many games for it. Which seems to be what PS3 fans have done.

73. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 05:13 Z9000

To me this is sloppy makeup sex after some web postings indicated that i.d. stuck it's foot in it's mouth regarding something about not being willing to split Rage in to 3 parts for Xbox and that a Blu-ray drive is preferred.

You guys put way too much emphasis on seemingly schizoid statements out of i.d. lately... It's most likely posturing for cash...

In my opinion they got destroyed by Epic eventually ran off to make Orcs and Elves for the DS, pulled a fast one on fans over on Doom 3, after giving us darkness and flashlights instead of Trent Reznor and nail guns, then ran off and sold themselves to ZeniMax. It doesn't surprise me that they don't seem to know whether they are coming or going in recent statements, as I don't see them maintaining clarity in their own I.P. (or should I say ZeniMax's I.P.), and I personally wouldn't be lining up to listen to sage advice from them.

My guess is that in the end Rage will still be a better game on PS3 (when someone proficient with the best console hardware available gets called in) and even better on PC where i.d. is obviously more comfortable and less challenged to learn something new. Maybe they will even get over spawning monsters on top of the player to immitate challenge.

In the end I do hope it's a good game for i.d., they certainly need onem and so do gamers...

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 06:22.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

72. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 04:27 StingingVelvet

Where the unreliability of the 360 hardware really irritates me is playing 360 games 10 years from now, or 20, or 30... console developers have shown that backwards compatability is low on the list of important factors, so if I want to play some relatively obscure 360 game I loved, like say The Darkness, in 20 years, will I be able to?

Not with the way their hardware lasts.

You can buy an old Nintendo and have it still work almost perfectly...

71. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 31, 2009, 00:10 ^Drag0n^

PCW:

Actually, Nintendo is currently the only manufacturer that is not having to put a stack of bills into each box along with every console they ship.

MS is so far in the hole with xbox-- with no solution for the RROD issue on the horizon, they'll never see light. My Elite has been repaired once already, and my brother has had his RROD *3 times*.

Add that to the fact that they are still recycling the pulled boards out of failed units, repairing them, and reintroducing them into the next RMA (like they did with mine), pretty much guaranteeing the problem won't ever go away.

I was so hoping to have my faith restored by having a Jasper board in my Elite when it came back--no such luck...I got the same old failure prone gen2 board; so now I face the fact that it's not a matter of if, but instead when, it will fail.

I really wish MS would make the hardware as good as the software and just bite the bullet, do the engineering and design work neccessary to fix the problem once and for all, and replace the failed units with good, new boards as they come though the RMA process.

As it is now, they will never make money on that box, and every box out there will need to have a new board in it at least once in it's lifetime until a permanent fix comes down the road. As was posted earlier this month on Blues, MS already found that the funds set aside for the extended 3-year RROD warrantee were going to deplete long before the issue went away, so we're not looking at a temporary financial burden here.

I love my 360. I just hate the hardware designers that didn't do their job on the front end with reliability testing. I wish I just didn't have that nagging feeling that MS is hoping to stumble accross a fix that lasts 3 years and one day so people have to start paying for replacements.

-^D^

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 00:17.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

70. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 30, 2009, 23:25 StingingVelvet

Also note that the "next generation of consoles" is going to be

- Project Natal
- PS3
- Wii HD

So it's not like they're going to be pushing the envelope in any way. My current mid level PC is already twice as powerful as the three consoles combined.

I think in another year or two, the fact that every game now has to go onto consoles as well as PC is going to go back to causing PC games to have to badly sacrifice again (like Ex Deus : IW did). We've had a brief moment where the consoles caught up, but that'll soon be over again.

And it's funny that the PC has such a bad rap for being so expensive, when you can now build a fucking kick-ass gaming machine for like 700 bucks. Sure, it's still more expensive than a console, but this thousands of dollars gap has basically dwindled. (and if you take the HD tv into account, doesn't even exist anymore.)

Wild speculation on my part, but if the consoles stagnate on tech/graphics advancement and follow the Wii's example, I could certainly see the PC regaining some market ground as the platform of choice for better graphics, larer worlds and AI advancements... stuff that takes hardware beyond what console gamers as a majority seem to think is good enough.

69. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 30, 2009, 21:30 The PC Warrior

Overall, MS has sunk more $ into the Xbox than it recovered. They can't afford to develop and deploy another new console and eat another 6 years of losses right now. You can't keep on cutting your console's life short to maintain market share when you're so far in the red.

As much as I wish this was actually true, it's not. They took a big hit on development costs and the warranty writedown but that's all two years old now. XBL is basically printing money at this point and their software attach rate is the strongest in the industry, double the PS3 and Wii put together. They are most definitely recouping losses fast and will easily be on track to develop a new system whenever it pleases them. This is also forgetting the 30 billion war chest that Microsoft is still sitting on, entirely liquid as well. Obviously they are going to milk the current gen for all it's worth before doing anything but the idea that they could not just make a new system is a bit absurd. Microsoft is one of the few companies in a monetary position to write it's own destiny.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2009, 21:31.

68. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 30, 2009, 21:29 Kxmode

Shit, by 2012, the iPhone will be more powerful than the consoles.

Actually by 2012 the planet Earth will blow up.

67. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 30, 2009, 20:40 Yifes

But again, if Microsoft thinks that they can make more money by releasing another generation so soon then they will. The X360 considerably cut short the life of the Xbox in order to beat Sony to the punch and guess what... it worked.

It worked by gaining more market share, but eventually you'll need to wait a years to let that marketshare turn into actual profits and recover your investment. Overall, MS has sunk more $ into the Xbox than it recovered. They can't afford to develop and deploy another new console and eat another 6 years of losses right now. You can't keep on cutting your console's life short to maintain market share when you're so far in the red.

Similarly, why doesn't Sony do another price cut when so many developers are calling for it to increase the PS3's market share? Because they can't afford it.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2009, 20:49.

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo