Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well

Gamasutra quotes a report by games industry analysts discussing StarCraft II. The article discusses the possibility that Blizzard's RTS sequel will be delayed into next year, and quotes oft-quoted games industry analyst Michael Pachter saying he expects the game to sell about four million units when it does ship, though given the level of anticipation for this title, that estimate almost seems low.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 30, 2009, 11:21 Prez

Blizzard is pretty small. Chances are, they haven't been working on Starcraft for the majority of that 10 years. There's only so many projects Blizzard devs can handle at once.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 30, 2009, 10:20 Verno

I think he meant why does the game still look 8 years old and why are we seeing so many of the same units? Answer: it's a sequel and a Blizzard game, they aren't known for their cutting edge graphics. Why has it taken 10 years to do it? Who knows.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

14. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 30, 2009, 08:57 kanniballl

Could someone tell me just what the fuck these guys have been doing for the last 10 years?

Well, there's working on something and then there's WORKING on something.

As they have other projects going on, they much of those x years were probably fairly quiet... few developers, little rush, putting some basic ideas together, etc. I'd imagine development was slowed to a crawl during certain periods due to Warcraft 3.

I'd say right now they are in full swing for development, but who knows how many months/years that has been the case.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 30, 2009, 08:35 Verno

Michael Pachter with yet another speculation based on nothing, who would have imagined? Starcraft II might sell a lot of units? Whoa slow down Michael, your vision of the future is too shocking, the rest of us need time to digest this incredible revelation.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

12. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 30, 2009, 07:10 Zzet

Well I won't be one of those 4 million, I don't see anything even remotely interesting in Starcraft 2, but I guess I'm in the minority. Total Annihilation is still the king.  

11. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 30, 2009, 06:59 Sempai

Could someone tell me just what the fuck these guys have been doing for the last 10 years?

They said they began SC2 directly after the War3 Frozen Throne.

So..again..what in fucks name have you been doing for ten fucking years that justifies pushing the game into 2010?

WoW took them approx 5 years and its a bloody MMO.

Hey im all for quality but something aint right with these guys..

10. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 30, 2009, 04:21 InBlack

I cant wait to see Prez, running naked through the forum :))

Prez, we will settle for a photo of you running naked in the street...

Remember this is ActiBlizz we are talking about now, so get ready to show some skin...:)

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 29, 2009, 21:08 Wallshadows

I can't wait to see them charge full price for each portion of the game. Meanwhile, in between the campaigns expansions titles they'll pull all their resources towards another WoW expansion or two and their new MMOG to cater to their favorite fans.

We could have easily been given three titles in one package, the way it should be, for a reasonable price in a reasonable amount of time.

There is a fine line between perfecting a title and just letting it slide.

8. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 29, 2009, 20:20 Prez

The "possibility" that it will be delayed next year? That's a laugh.

If this game is shipped before holiday 2010, and if each expansion ships before 2012 and 2014, respectively, I'll run naked through the forum.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2009, 20:28.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 29, 2009, 18:49 MrBone

This is the kind of "prediction" that makes me cringe. It reminds me of the hurricane predictions I have to listen to every darn year...complete and utter nonsense that any clown could make up.  

6. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Jul 29, 2009, 18:45 NiteX

Does anyone actually like Michael Pachter? I know many gamers who would love to see his head on a stick.  

5. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Jul 29, 2009, 18:26 Fuzzmatang

The analysis is probably based just on the first one. The other two are still considered expansions to the main one aren't they?  

4. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 29, 2009, 18:17 Wallshadows

Is this one title or all three combined?  

3. Re: Analyst: StarCraft II May Just Sell Well Jul 29, 2009, 18:09 Sepharo

4 million South Koreans will have to buy this in accordance with the law.  

2. Re: Shadowbane Closing Jul 29, 2009, 17:43 Parallax Abstraction

I really wish the gaming press would stop giving this hack analyst (as if there's another kind) credit as if he's some kind of prophet. Most of his major predictions have not only been wrong but hugely wrong and the press only seems concerned with making hay out of the rare time he's right, while never calling out the many times he's been wrong. Like most analysts, this guy pulls numbers out of his rear end to get himself and his firm press time, knowing full well being wrong won't hurt him in the slightest. And the games press plays right into that. The man is not a credible source, period.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: Shadowbane Closing Jul 29, 2009, 17:39 Comet

This is the sort of "analysis" that I wish I got payed to do. It is such an obvious prediction. Ten years ago this analysts didn't care anything with the gaming industry. Now that it has become mainstream there are all sorts of "bright people" commenting on gaming. Anyone that is into gaming knows that : Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft, Doom, Unreal, GTA, Mario, Battlefield, Call Of Duty, Halo, The Sims plus huge amounts of marketing hype will lead into millions of sales.

Here are a couple of predictions of my own. Mass Effect 2 will sell millions.
A Duke Nuken game if it ever is created will sell millions.
The next Battlefield will sell millions.
All this surpassing any previous game. Please send me a check for my "astonishing" prediction

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo