Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands Blowout

The Randy Pitchford Interview Video on G4tv.com is a conversation between Gearbox's CEO and his doppelganger about Borderlands, their upcoming shooter/RPG. Among other things, Randy describes how the game's stylized art redesign happened, through what amounts to an insurgency in the art department. They also discuss co-op support, role-playing, the emphasis on the shooting aspect of the game, and more. They also touch on Brothers in Arms, and the distinct possibility they will eventually set the series in a different conflict than World War II and Aliens: Colonial Marines, which Randy indicates is waiting on Sega to decide when it will be more publicly discussed. There's another video interview with Randy on Giantbomb.com, and there are also previews of Borderlands on 1Up, Destructoid, Eurogamer (where they talk about the game Randy Pitchford is terrified to release), G4, GamePro, GameSpot, Giant Bomb, Kotaku, Strategy Informer, and Videogamer.com. Finally, here is a batch of new Borderlands screenshots.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 30, 2009, 08:21 VultureMAN

In a couple of previews the columnist/player ran into a "game killing" bug and had to start over. Now realize that this was in the intro mission. I find that a bit odd when QC would normally done this scenario in all permutations.

/but having said that I am still willing to shell out the bucks to give it a try knwoing that patches will happen. The frequency of patches may vary becuase of poor QC ahead of time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 11:41 Titus

I think the new art style looks fantastic. The older vids and screens looked decidedly meh in my book. The new art style finally gives the game a distinct face, which is great for a new IP. As a European comic lover it's great to see something in the vain of Euro graphic novels like Enki Bilal et al.

Case in point: Mass Effect graphics going the "realistic" way just never made me care much for the IP. It all looked like generic SF novel cover #17354. Other Bioware products could stay afloat on the style of the original IP's. They'd missed the opportunity with Mass Effect, and it looks like Dragon Age is going the same way, but of the fantasy variety. Only Jade Empire stood out as an original IP, mainly due to it being a setting that hadn't been done to death by others.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2009, 12:22.

23. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 10:27 Elessar

Why do people find it necessary to bash something with utter negativity? Is it too much to ask that you state your opinion in a civil manner, ala space_captain - "altho i can admit its well done in TF2 - but stylistically, not my thing".

So you don't care for it, say that like a normal human being and quit the melodrama.

And I don't know where you're getting your consensus for "the majority", but I like the art direction. Not that these forums are the end all be all for stats, but it looks like the opinions are split at the very least (if not in favor).

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

22. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 09:27 Cabezone

The game looks fucking fantastic, especially in motion. I'm not so sure about the actual gameplay though.

I have seen a video with vehicle driving.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

21. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 09:27 Beamer

When Pitchford compares this to RPGs, he's comparing it to Diablo. The RPG elements are limited to loot and leveling. Personally, I don't think those are enough to qualify anything as an RPG but I'm probably in the minority.

Loot, leveling and classes.

I'm with you in part. I'm the one that got screamed at on this board for saying Oblivion wasn't an RPG. Oblivion was loot, leveling, classes and quests. Is that still enough to be an RPG, or is it just an adventure game?

To me it isn't an RPG unless you make decisions other than what to do when. That limits the list pretty much to games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Mass Effect. All those jRPGs? Not RPGs. I'd cut out probably 90% of the stuff claiming to be RPGs.

Here it doesn't bother me much. They're saying it's like FPS and RPG had a baby. Well, the baby looks just like it's father but it got its mother's eyes.
Not that it ever really bothers me much. It's completely stupid and pointless to get worked up over such things. There's enough there connected to RPGs to warrant the description - it isn't as if they're making it up. People that are serious about RPGs enough to think it's not enough of an RPG will all know this. People that aren't won't care. No harm is being done and you just waste yourself getting worked up.

Game does look awesome, though. Fallout 3 was like an FPS and RPG made a baby, sticking closer to the RPG side (way more of an RPG than Oblivion.) This sticks more to the action side. Fallout 3 was great. This will probably be less great but still a ton of fun.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2009, 09:33.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 09:26 space captain

Had you ever actually played Wasteland you could see where Borderlands comes from.

wtf? put down the crack pipe dude.. because its a post-apocalyptic setting, that means it comes from Wasteland? have you actually played wasteland? why dont you give us some more details on this thought process because it sounds abjectly retarded

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 09:25 Beamer

Jesus you fucking fanboys piss me off sometimes. You can get up off you knees and wipe off your mouth now, Pitchford has left the building.

Actually, you're the one being irrational here. Pitchford never said it was a legacy to Wasteland. At worst he said he was inspired by Wasteland. Again, you're being kind of dense here. Especially when you contradict yourself: "This looks nothing like Wasteland" and "Had you ever actually played Wasteland you could see where Borderlands comes from."

Which is stupid on levels other than you contradicting yourself. For one, nowhere did I imply I haven't been through Wasteland, which I have, at least one and two half times. Then you imply that anything post apocalyptic has to be like Wasteland. No. Wasteland wasn't the first post apocalyptic game, and this game owes as much to Mad Max as Wasteland, which is fine, Wasteland also owes quite a bit to Mad Max. Which wasn't entirely original on its own.

Go play Wasteland again. It's still fun. The rest of us will enjoy a new game that doesn't claim to be like Wasteland and doesn't have to be like Wasteland.

-------------

18. Re:personal taste Jul 29, 2009, 09:20 space captain

yeh i normally love all kinds of cel-shading but to me TF2 was bleh.. IMO the loony toons style art direction is pretty stupid looking overall, altho i can admit its well done in TF2 - but stylistically, not my thing... like bioshock - its well done, but art deco makes me want to puke for the most part

cutter, you never mentioned why you hate anime? i always find that to be an interesting topic. or is it any animation whatsoever? do you have something against cartoons?

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 09:03 theyarecomingforyou

I have to agree with Cutter here. I think the game looks pretty terrible. Team Fortress 2 shows that you can change things up with making it look like ass - that game had nothing but praise, whereas here even the people defending it are saying things like " I think it looks fine" and "I was resistant to the comic book look at first" - that's a pretty tepid reception. I like that they're trying to do new things with the gameplay but I'm not convinced that slapping numbers all over the screen and adding levelling is what first person shooters need.

I love the art design- it actually sets itself apart from the gajillion other "photo-realistic" shooters out there.
Games can be distinctive without being photo realistic. And being different for the sake of being different isn't something to be praised. TF2 did something new and it paid off - they managed to take what is a very modest engine and make it compelling. Same with Portal and Bioshock - they were made so distinct by their environments, not by their engines. To me Borderlands looks like a conventional shooter but with everything looking washed out and indistinct with overly exaggerated borders, whereas something like TF2 is highly stylised in every aspect (from animations, to level design, to interface, to voice work, to gameplay, etc).

It may turn out to be a decent game but I'm very sceptical.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

16. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 08:14 Veinman

A few things have me curious since it's so close to launch and I don't think they've ever shown them- based on early trailers, I assumed this game has driving in it. Have they ever shown actual game play of that? Also, what about melee?

Are quests and the world randomized?

15. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 04:59 Tony!!!

Yes, cel-shading is fugly. It failed miserably because the vast majority of people agree it's fugly
Uhhhhh, and were did you pull that little factoid from??? Have a actually done a survey that concluded, 'YES, The vast majority agree it's fugly'?

People like you who just make up facts just to TRY to pass off your opinions as fact are just lame dude.

and how can there be fanboys to this game.? Isn't this an original IP?

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

14. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 03:42 Z9000

Buying for PS3 day 1.  
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

13. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 03:17 Bludd

This might be the first game by Gearbox after Opposing Forces that I've been even remotely interested in.  

12. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 02:23 Icewind

Cutter, you really shouldn't have stopped the medication. Go back on it - trust me on this.

Well, his name is cutter after all. He's more than likely an emo kid slicing up his arm and listening to Linkin Park while his mother goes out to pick up the pizza she ordered for him.

His type is the kind of gamer I hate. The one who expects every game to be just like the games he played as a kid.

I played Wasteland, Dragon Wars, and the old SSI Goldbox games in my teens. I thank the maker that I don't have to struggle through RPGs like that anymore. You can wish for more of them, but I'll take something a bit more palatable like borderlands or Fallout 3.

I believe you have an installation of DOSbox to play. Do modern RPG developers a favor and return to it. It'll make them happy.

11. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 02:00 Prez

Cutter, you really shouldn't have stopped the medication. Go back on it - trust me on this.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 01:06 Jerykk

When Pitchford compares this to RPGs, he's comparing it to Diablo. The RPG elements are limited to loot and leveling. Personally, I don't think those are enough to qualify anything as an RPG but I'm probably in the minority.  

9. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 29, 2009, 00:28 Cutter

Yes, cel-shading is fugly. It failed miserably because the vast majority of people agree it's fugly. Like Jules said in Pulp Fiction, "Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherf**ker." So cel-shading may be pumpkin pie to some of you, but for the majority of us, it's disgusting.

And originally they were saying how this was going to be a legacy to Wasteland. Had you ever actually played Wasteland you could see where Borderlands comes from. And from that interview with Pitchford it sounds nothing like Wasteland except for the setting. I can hardly wait to see the "rpg elements" of this game, lol. Jesus you fucking fanboys piss me off sometimes. You can get up off you knees and wipe off your mouth now, Pitchford has left the building.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 28, 2009, 23:07 Prez

I find the look to be unique and exciting. I love the art design- it actually sets itself apart from the gajillion other "photo-realistic" shooters out there.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 28, 2009, 23:00 Beamer

This game has zero do with Wasteland.

You know, you said this in the last borderlands thread, and people asked why you'd even mention Wasteland, and you were silent.

This is NOT a sequel to Wasteland. In fact, I can't even find a single mention of Wasteland in ANY of the coverage. Why Wasteland fans would expect that is beyond me. All the results of googling +wasteland +gearbox +borderlands is "Borderlands takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland."

Never once does it say "Borderlands is a sequel to Wasteland" or "Borderlands is a spiritual successor to Wasteland."

In every topic you go "meh, this isn't at all like Wasteland" but why should it and who said it would be? But you're right, let's keep comparing games to other games they've got nothing to do with. Hey, I don't want to play Modern Warfare 2, it has zero to do with Dig Dug.

-------------

6. Re: Borderlands Blowout Jul 28, 2009, 22:45 The Half Elf

Cutter has a hatred of anything Cel-Shaded, check out the Champions Online thread.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo