Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features

PC Games Hardware spoke with the folks at Volition about the upcoming release of the Windows edition of Red Faction: Guerrilla, discussing the technology powering the shooter sequel and its deformable environments. They discuss the game's custom engine, features unique to the PC version like Sun Shafts (God Rays) and Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion, visual quality, advantages of SLI or Crossfire, the choice of Havok over PhysX for physics, DirectX 9 & 10 support, lack of DirectX 11 support, and more.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 21:13 Orbital

The trouble was that the PC port of Saints Row 2 was complete shit in terms of vehicle controls, of which i understand there is no intention of fixing.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 17:57 Prez

Regardless of release date, this game looks like it would be worth checking out. Of course, I'll wait my obligatory 6 to 8 weeks after ship date for the bugs to be ironed out, but this is, as of right now, on my buy list. Here's hoping for a good port without overly-ridiculous DRM.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 17:41 The PC Warrior

Saints Row 2 is one of the few console games I've played from this generation of consoles and it was excellent. I will definitely buy this when it comes out.  

19. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 15:57 Beamer

I can only afford to buy a few games, and I really only have TIME to play a few anymore. Guerilla would have been fun to play in a month when I was bored and nothing else was out.

On the other hand now's when you play the good games that came out at the same time as the awesome games but you didn't have time for. As an added bonus they're about half the price.

Not the best for publishers, but usually pretty good for gamers. At least PC gamers, where prices tend to fall rapidly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 14:56 StingingVelvet

Excited about this... the demo on PS3 was really awesome, but I am waiting for the better (assumably) PC version.

Glad to see the devs made comments about doing this one right... Saint's Row 2 was definately a poor port.

17. Re: FIGHT THE POWER! Jul 28, 2009, 14:52 space captain

yeh im sure the giant faceless corps will be crying all the way to the bank  
Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 14:39 Verno

Fair enough but the comment about the price seemed to indicate another reason which is why I asked.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

15. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 14:24 Creston

Because I would have happily bought this in June when there was nothing else to play. (Instead, I bought Assassin's Creed and World in Conflict, IIRC.) In September, there will be a ton of other games.

I have a finite gaming budget. If you choose to sell your game in a month when dozens of other interesting games come out, you run the risk that people go "Hmmm, Guerilla looks pretty cool, but shit, I've been waiting for Dragon Age for like 9000 years."

I can only afford to buy a few games, and I really only have TIME to play a few anymore. Guerilla would have been fun to play in a month when I was bored and nothing else was out.

In a month when several awesome titles are right around the corner, Guerilla doesn't look that great in comparison.

This is why I keep saying that publishers are fucking RETARDS for always releasing all their top titles when everyone else does so too. Competition means you sell less product. This is not rocket surgery.

Creston

14. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 14:23 Verno

I still don't get it but whatever I guess.  

13. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 14:20 Zyrxil

He's punishing them for releasing it late. You have a console version that comes out late, you delay the PC version - Dragon Age. PC version needs extra time, who cares, just delay that one Rolleyes  

12. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 14:11 Verno

Looks like this will have to wait until it's 20 bucks on Steam or GoGamer.

Why? Wouldn't you want to reward them for making a good port and introducing PC specific features? Why punish them for this behavior just because of the release date? Not being ambivalent, this is a legit question.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2009, 14:11.

11. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 14:08 Creston

Excited about this, but it sucks that they waited with releasing it until September, when a thousand other games are going to come out too.

Looks like this will have to wait until it's 20 bucks on Steam or GoGamer.

Creston

10. Re: the 10,000 things Jul 28, 2009, 13:37 space captain

i wonder if they will add 1st person mode for PC version.. altho its almost necessary to play in 3rd because of all the potential crap falling on top of you  
Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 12:10 siapnar

Good to hear that their taking time to optimize the game for PC. I have it for 360 but I'd love to play it on PC as well, especially for MP  

I have projectile dysfunction.

8. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 11:00 CrimsonPaw

The original Saints Row, to me, trumped GTA:SA in every way other than humor. The humor in SR felt like it was trying too hard.
I liked the graphic style of GTA:SA more than SR. Maybe it was the pulled back camera, but for me SR camera was too close.

As for Red Faction, this has been sitting next to my XBox for the past week, but for some reason I've been entrenched in Assassin's Creed; I have 3 more assassinations left and then it's on to destroying Mars.

~~Crim~~

7. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 10:33 Beamer

The original Saints Row, to me, trumped GTA:SA in every way other than humor. The humor in SR felt like it was trying too hard.

SR2, though, really hit a home run. Definitely one of the most entertaining games I've played all year and one I know I can keep going back to.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 10:30 Verno

Yeah SR2 was an amazing game and when people talk about missing games with depth on the PC, they should really check it out. The sheer amount of crap to do in that game is staggering, you can easily sink 100 hours into the game and not even do everything. The four storylines with the gangs and whatnot are quite memorable and well done. Graphically the game is capable but not as impressive as GTA4's engine. You have a cell phone in SR2 but it doesn't exist as a function to piss you off like in GTA4. The unlockables are very well done too. All in all it's one of the better console games and pretty much did a better job of being GTA than GTA4 did.  

5. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 10:26 space captain

played SR2 on the console instead.. have to say i enjoyed it alot more than GTA4... the arcadey driving and gunplay was soooo much more fun - plus it ran smooth as butter, with solid 40-60fps.. unlike GTA which would chug constantly due to all the hidef shit and thousands of objects etc. .. personally i'll take a consistent frame rate over photorealism EVERY TIME, and i seriously lament the day when devs figured it was somehow acceptable to have crappy fps on a console game - that occasional "slowdown" was par for the course. fuck that! worst snowball effect in history of console games  
Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 09:51 Ecthelion

When SR2 worked, it was great. My only problems with it were occasional framerate drops, and they weren't usually very bad.

I've always enjoyed Volition's games, so I'm definitely going to check this out. I'll probably wait to buy it on sale though, since I have more than enough games right now.

3. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 09:50 Optimaximal

At least they're using DirectX 10 as it is supposed too be - more efficient rendering and a hardware:feature baseline

It's good too see everyone has finally got past the pratice of just shoving loads and loads of unnecessary shiny effects onto the GPU 'because they can' and then using marketing to cover up the fact that it's all just extra bumpf too slow the game down.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo