Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Unreal Tournament's Retail Break

Epic Not To Release A New Unreal Tournament “For Several Years” on G4tv.com is a video interview with the CEO of Epic Games where he says they are backing off from Unreal Tournament releases for "several years," though his statement is not as definitive as the story headline suggests, as he says they are "planning not to release a major retail game in the series for several years," which doesn't rule out digital distribution. He does say the series is "certainly a major long-term priority." Thanks Big Download.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 14:19 Zardoz5

UT3 is a cool game but its rocky launch did NOT help.

I was really looking forward to the launch of UT3 and then I played the "Beta Demo", what a broken POS. It wouldn't even launch on my PC which was 1 month old at the time. This totally killed my enthusiasm for the game and I'm sure it did for many others. I can see why Epic isn't releasing another UT for several years, they have severely damaged the UT brand. Looking at Gamespy's stats ( http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/ ) UT3 only has 455 people playing, vs. 2004 which has 3333, ouch. The Battlefield 2 Demo has almost as many people playing as UT3, lol.

I picked up the Black Edition for $12 on Steam and it is pretty decent, this is what the launch game should've been. Epic probably threw in the "story mode" for the console crowd, but if you are going to do that maybe come up with a good one next time please, k thx. If there is another UT for PC, please don't copy/paste the console menu system into the PC version, its terrible!

I think Epic should give the chaps at Digital Extremes another go at a UT game since Epic themselves appears to have little interest in making one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 14:18 ColoradoHoudini

I would love to see another Unreal XMP.. ya know, a smarter shooter, something that resembles Tribes in the teamwork/classes department. Run and gun, twitch, fragfests are fun.. but I need a bit more depth in my FPS's these days, and maybe for them to be around the same speed as TF2...ya know, I am not as young as quick as I used to be  

20. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 08:49 Optimaximal

This is surely just a veil for Epic officially and completely abandoning first-party development on the PC.

UT3 completely failed to gain any traction in their beloved console market and the Titan update was a last, final hurrah to grab PC sales, but there's been just a complete lack of effort in the entire game from the Epic boys. The fact that it was sold on the PC as being 'from the award-winning developer of Gears of War' shows a lot.

19. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 03:13 Jerykk

Too fast, too twitch, too gimmicky and like an FPS Mortal Kombat with nothing cool about it.

I can agree with the gimmicky part but too fast and too twitch? Quake far outdoes UT in both regards, which is why it's still the king of deathmatch.

18. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 02:56 Kxmode

Caveman: 1, Surf: 0  

17. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 02:21 Caveman

Unreal has always been an utter piece of shit. Too fast, too twitch, too gimmicky
Sounds like you suck at the game.

16. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 01:41 Surf

I have been saying this since the first Unreal.

THE GAME SUCKS!

Unreal has always been an utter piece of shit. Too fast, too twitch, too gimmicky and like an FPS Mortal Kombat with nothing cool about it.

Glad Epic agreed!

15. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 00:17 Jerykk

I'd rather it was stripped back to deathmatch, CTF and domination - modes like Warfare and Vehicle CTF are simply too different.

Agreed. I still think UT99 was the best. Take out the vehicles and go back to the basics.

14. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 00:10 Dr. D. Schreber

Although, I am still waiting for that deformable smoke that was supposed to be affected by rocket blasts and player movement. They could really bump up the graphics and keep the core gameplay.

Unreal Engine 3 in general seems to have a problem with this fresh out of the box. UT2k4 had interactive smoke and water, not to the extent of being done with full real-time physics, of course, but compared to the static, immovable water in UT3, the world just seemed more alive. It can certainly be done, just look at Bioshock, especially with DirectX10 turned on, or Gears 2 in the one or two places that had water, it just seems that it's up to developer discretion/resources rather than something the engine was made to do. Probably another sign that consolization really hurt the engine overall.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

13. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 00:05 PHJF

I think CoD4 is most popular with counter-strike search and destroy mode.

And UT3 has Warfare, which is unique enough, but I much preferred the Assault mode of old.

UT still is the best when it comes to straight up DM though, and UT3 is no different.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 23:59 theyarecomingforyou

The bots are so much fun to play with, I have to admit that I rarely go online.
I wanted to play it online but the netcode was shocking until the Titan update. And it's still not as refined and enjoyable as TF2, at least to me. The biggest issue is that the graphics are simply too busy and not sharp enough (largely due to the deferred rendering) - it just doesn't appeal to me as much as the sharper graphics in TF2 and FC2.

I'm happy to see the UT franchise take a break. I don't think the technology is there at the moment - UE3 is definitely a bit too long in the tooth. And they really need to go back to basics rather than adding yet more gameplay modes. I'd rather it was stripped back to deathmatch, CTF and domination - modes like Warfare and Vehicle CTF are simply too different. Heck, the Titan update demonstrated that when you go back to more traditional gameplay - i.e. deathmatch variations - that people respond better to it. Greed and Betrayal are brilliant fun.

Anyway, I'm sure others will disagree as UT seems to represent something different to each person, which I feel is exactly the problem.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

11. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 22:41 Jerykk

However, the time of the straight DM/CTF game is over.

Don't CoD4, Halo, Gears of War and other massively popular games still use those modes?

10. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 22:24 Elf Shot The Food

I loved these games; yeah, even 2K3. However, the time of the straight DM/CTF game is over.

The series certainly needs some re-thinking if they ever decide to bring it back.

9. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 21:44 Prez

The whole Madden model never really was intended for team deathmatch games.

UT3 really is a great game, but it may be past its prime. In many ways, it's a better game than TF2, but TF2 is just so damn accessible, it's easy to see why it's beating the crap out of UT3. Hell, my 8-year-old daughter wouldn't touch UT3 with a ten foot pole, yet she plays about 2 hours of TF2 a day.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 21:38 tuddies

UT3 + GREED + TITAN PACK ====== AWESOME KICK ASS FRAGFEST!

The bots are so much fun to play with, I have to admit that I rarely go online.

Although, I am still waiting for that deformable smoke that was supposed to be affected by rocket blasts and player movement. They could really bump up the graphics and keep the core gameplay.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2009, 21:39.

7. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 20:59 Shooters fanboy

Some good mods out/coming for it too.  

6. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 20:15 Caveman

Agreed, but the support has been very good, it's a shame the game isn't more popular, greed and betrayal kick ass.  

5. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 20:13 Veinman

UT3 is a cool game but its rocky launch did NOT help.  

4. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 20:10 Caveman

Unreal Tournament 3. People hate it, I can see why, as some aspects were simplified and alot less content, but after the Titan update it's very good  

3. Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 24, 2009, 20:07 JaguarUSF

Did they make a game after Unreal Tournament 2004?  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo