Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RailWorks DLC

Steam announces the release of no fewer than four DLC packs for RailWorks, the transportation simulation (and no more than four, as we are being quite precise here). The DLC includes an Isle of Wight RailWorks Expansion Pack, a Class 158 Diesel Multiple Unit Add-on, a Class 66 Diesel Locomotive, and a Class 08 Diesel Shunter. The four DLC packs represent a $79.96 additional investment in the $49.99 game.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 25, 2009, 07:24 DG

If there were any areas of the USA I actually recognized, then I might get it.
seems to be UK-centric though there's a German and a US (SoCal) route.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 25, 2009, 02:51 Masa

How can 4 DLCs be more than the original game?!

When they're $9.99 per DLC on Fallout 3...

And the projected hours of gameplay you're really not getting that much, especially after 4 DLCs; which could conceivably add 20 extra hours, you're still paying roughly 4/5 to roughly two-thirds the initial retail cost of the game (depending on the platform you purchased for). And like someone else said here - I've put in around 140 hours in Fallout 3 just dinking around.

10. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 23:52 Elricsi

Never played a rail sim, but this stuff seems pretty cool.

If there were any areas of the USA I actually recognized, then I might get it.

9. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 18:06 Cutter

Yeah, people are kooks for sim stuff. Just check out this "PRO Flight Simulator Complete Bundle by Saitek"

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4545&idCategory=173

$1000 for this! And all just to enhance flight sims. If I was serious about flight sims I'd buy it. At least with the train sim all you need is an engineer's cap.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 17:56 Bet

How can 4 DLCs be more than the original game?!

Easy! Fallout 3 is more or less there too (already is if you got it for $25 on sale). The thing is, I can't bring myself to spend $50 on the five announced Fallout 3 DLCs, and I've spent 150 hours in Fallout 3! There's just something off-putting about micro-expansions. I'd pay $30 in one go for the new content as a bundle like the Shivering Isles expansion pack, but not 5 x $10, especially since there's no way they offer the same amount of gameplay as the base game. Episodic adventures aren't what I'm looking for in an RPG either, so getting them one piece at a time isn't motivation for me to jump back in the game. Then jump back in again a month later. Then again a month or so later. Repeat ad nauseum with $10 for each occasion.

Why am I bitching about Fallout 3 DLC in this thread...oh right, just the DLC tie-in. Damn it.

7. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 17:44 Kxmode

How can 4 DLCs be more than the original game?! Confused  

6. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 17:27 Karnisov

yeah the dlc looks a bit pricey. $15 for an extra locomotive. wdf.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

5. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 16:32 bfg9000

uhh for that price maybe you could find a vintage engine and take a ride on it.
or drink yourself to death!

4. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 16:17 Tumbler

In 1999 heavy rainfall caused damage to the line stranding a four-car train at Shanklin over Christmas. It is December 27th and the water has subsided. Take a passenger train from Ryde, making usual stops on the way before rescuing the stranded train at Shanklin. Then return to Ryde with this unusual six-car train.

Think how many hours of gameplay you'll get out of this game! What a deal!!!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 15:00 DG

Did you watch the trailer? Wow that looks fascinating.

But seriously, I was an audit last year of a train museum, never seen a bunch of fully grown boys (50+) having such a ball, tooting the horn on their Thomas the Tank Engine and showing off the rebuilds in-progress in the workshop. I guess I'd be having just about as much fun if I found a Portal gun though so...

These DLC are probably the best thing evar for someone, and Optimaximal is right about enthusiast niche markets.

Anyway, there's plenty PC gamers who got started from playing their dad's PC that was gaming-class due to flight simulator or whatever. Come to think of it, of the PC gamers I know "IRL" all of them got into it via their own or a friend's dad having MS Flight Sim or Sim City or whatever.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2009, 15:06.

2. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 13:53 Optimaximal

This is no different to the hundreds of expansions for MS Flight Simulator & Train Simulator...
They target a sort of enthusiast market that is a) willing to support a hobby to the extreme and b) often not short of money.

Also, consider that the people/companies that make these games and their add-ons are not big companies and need such content to sell simply to survive. As mentioned above, the people who buy this sort of stuff will pay for it lest it dry up.

1. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 11:54 nin

The four DLC packs represent a $79.96 additional investment in the $49.99 game.

What.

The.

Fuck?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo