Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mouse of Steel

SteelSeries Introduces New High Definition Gaming Mouse and Gaming Surface announces August availability of three new products, two of which are squarely aimed at gamers, a new SteelSeries Xai LASER mouse and SteelSeries 9HD mouse surface, as well as new SteelSeries Kinzu Optical Mouse. The new gaming mouse boasts some extremely high numbers in explaining its awesomeness, and we'll take your word for it that your mouse shortcomings are holding back your game:

Research and development of the mouse was done in close cooperation with full-time professional gamers from the U.S., Europe and Asia to ensure that the SteelSeries Xai is a tool with a purpose not just a gadget. The 10.8 megapixels/second sensor offers a huge improvement over the current generation of gaming mice by processing 12,000 frames/second at 5,001 CPI at movement speeds of 150 inches/second providing the user with High Definition tracking for unparalleled precision. Furthermore, the SteelSeries Xai offers unprecedented levels of personalization for the user, with unique SteelSeries sensor innovations like SteelSeries ExactAim, SteelSeries ExactRate, SteelSeries ExactSens, SteelSeries FreeMove and automatic lift distance calibration. SteelSeries Xai can be fully configured via a LCD menu system on the back of the mouse, where settings will be stored on the mouse thus eliminating the need for drivers and providing configuration capabilities on-the-go.

Some of the features of the SteelSeries Xai include:

• Ambidextrous shape
    • 7 Programmable macro buttons, 200 strokes per button
    • Driverless plug-and-play, with 5 profiles
    • Fully configurable via LCD menu system
    • 100-5,001 counts/inch

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 25, 2009, 17:27 vrok

Like I said, I never claimed it was a replacement for ergonomic peripherals nor that it was a cure, just that there are ways to avoid problems. And for the record, my Siberia headset did indeed fall apart.

You're pretty much out of touch with the market then. Asus has been very successful with the Xonar for example and the Razer soundcard was a big hit until all of it's Q/A problems came to light.
Sure, that's very possible, but I just don't know any gamer who would buy a soundcard for double the price and not get flawless EAX 5 or CMSS-3D features for gaming. The ones I know that don't care about that stuff just use the built in soundcard. Talking strictly gamers here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 25, 2009, 11:58 The PC Warrior

It helps keep the wrist straighter... Yet it's a fallacy?

Helps if you read the rest of my post. Keeping the wrist straighter is not a cure, it helps the symptoms take longer to appear. You don't need to take my word for it, there are countless studies at this point on developing RSI and how to counter it.

I just disputed the claim that gaming peripherals will kill your wrists, as I've used them for a long long time, and before that there was no such thing as ergonomic peripherals.

Anecdotal, gaming peripherals(specifically mice, keyboards and controllers) are not built for long-term use. Maybe you're one of the few people smart enough to take breaks at appropriate times or maybe you've got amazing posture which helps out a lot. Either way, gaming gear is not really friendly ergonomic computer use and it's widely acknowledged by them as well, read any manual about recommended usage time.

The object in question was a keyboard. And what I responded to said "Razer peripherals". Besides, I can tell you that SteelSeries Siberia headsets are pretty much complete shit, just like most Razer headsets.

Except the Siberia's aren't randomly falling apart. There are bad units just like every other peripheral but Razer's stuff is not the exception but the rule. Anything they do unrelated to mice seems to use low quality parts and tends to break easily.

I also have no idea who actually buys a non Creative soundcard for gaming

You're pretty much out of touch with the market then. Asus has been very successful with the Xonar for example and the Razer soundcard was a big hit until all of it's Q/A problems came to light.

20. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 25, 2009, 06:38 Kxmode

There are no balls on this mouse!  

19. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 25, 2009, 01:55 vrok

That's a fallacy, wrist bands help keep your wrists straighter but it is no substitute for good posture and a real ergonomic keyboard/mouse setup.
It helps keep the wrist straighter... Yet it's a fallacy? I never claimed it was a replacement for fully ergonomic peripherals BTW. I just disputed the claim that gaming peripherals will kill your wrists, as I've used them for a long long time, and before that there was no such thing as ergonomic peripherals. Wrist bands and cloth mousepads even helped me get rid of the classic wrist bulge.

Given that Razer stuff is prone to falling apart entirely at random, I'd say Steel does indeed use higher quality parts. Look at that whole soundcard/headset fiasco they had awhile ago.
The object in question was a keyboard. And what I responded to said "Razer peripherals". Besides, I can tell you that SteelSeries Siberia headsets are pretty much complete shit, just like most Razer headsets. Sennheiser all the way man. I also have no idea who actually buys a non Creative soundcard for gaming. I will give you that Razer's were complete shit, though I never expected otherwise. Haven't seen SteelSeries' attempt at one yet though.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2009, 02:30.

18. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 16:51 The PC Warrior

Bumping my head in here as someone who has used Steel/Razer stuff in the past.

Since when have goods ever sold above MSRP, stupid shit like beanie babies aside?

Since retailers have wanted to make profit, so since the beginning of business. Go browse bestbuy.com to see it in action. I just looked up a videocard on bestbuy that was $80 above MSRP. Retailers do this all the time. E-Commerce sites on the other hand are more competitive. If you shop around then it's fine but if there's little competition in your area then prices will be shitty and if you're in a country other than the US then it's harder to get some of this stuff.

Besides, ever thought of using a wrist band for support? Genius, I know.

That's a fallacy, wrist bands help keep your wrists straighter but it is no substitute for good posture and a real ergonomic keyboard/mouse setup. Razer and Steel make great gaming peripherals but none of it is really ergonomic.

Oh, please. SteelSeries can claim superior durability all they want, doesn't make it true. It's called "SteelSeries" because that's the name of the company that first started out with producing mousepads in metal. Nothing else.

Given that Razer stuff is prone to falling apart entirely at random, I'd say Steel does indeed use higher quality parts. Look at that whole soundcard/headset fiasco they had awhile ago. Half of an entire batch run of the soundcard wouldn't properly mount in a regular bracket and the headsets were using some cheap band that snapped along with the wrong size of screw which eventually would fall out. Razer makes good mice but the rest of their stuff is pretty damned dodgy.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2009, 16:54.

17. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 16:30 vrok

Let me give a warning to anyone buying gamer gear out there. As someone who has spent the past 20 years typing their brains out, you will be dealing with arthritis or RSI if you use that shit for years. Buy ergonomic gear and forget the epeen sensitivity rates. Your wrists will thank you for it later in life.

There's plenty of full size Razer and other gaming mice. Besides, ever thought of using a wrist band for support? Genius, I know.

Except Razer peripherals are pieces of shit that break easier than graham crackers. SteelSeries keyboards are supposed to be "indestructible" and resistant to wear... hence "Steel"Series.
Oh, please. SteelSeries can claim superior durability all they want, doesn't make it true. It's called "SteelSeries" because that's the name of the company that first started out with producing mousepads in metal. Nothing else.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2009, 16:37.

16. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 16:08 PHJF

Plus that's just MSRP, not what retailers/etailers will actually charge to make profit.

Since when have goods ever sold above MSRP, stupid shit like beanie babies aside?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 15:42 Verno

Nah you were spot on. To get the optimum rates with the mouse apparently you also need their new hard plastic gaming surface Rolleyes so that's probably another $20-50. Plus that's just MSRP, not what retailers/etailers will actually charge to make profit.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2009, 15:43.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

14. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 15:38 Mr. Tact

79.99 Euros -- so, about $113. So, I missed by a bit. I'm still passing.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 15:13 PHJF

Razer's mice. storing settings on the mouse itself? yeah yeah. razer's had that for years. ridiculous DPI. yep.

Except Razer peripherals are pieces of shit that break easier than graham crackers. SteelSeries keyboards are supposed to be "indestructible" and resistant to wear... hence "Steel"Series.

Whatever, I've had my Logitech G15 for like 5 years and other than paint wear where my wrists sit it's the same as the day I bought it. I've only had a G5 for about a year but I pretty much like it too...

Fully configurable via LCD menu system

That's total overkill and likely the only thing to "justify" what I'm sure will be an absurd triple-digit price.

This mouse has a MSRP of $79

Try EUR: 79.99, buddy.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2009, 15:15.

12. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 14:25 Verno

Tried a buddy's Razer mouse (I think?) once

You move a traditional mouse with your whole hand. You move a Razer mouse in large variances using slight wrist movements. It's better for FPS games but ultimately is hell on your wrists. Let me give a warning to anyone buying gamer gear out there. As someone who has spent the past 20 years typing their brains out, you will be dealing with arthritis or RSI if you use that shit for years. Buy ergonomic gear and forget the epeen sensitivity rates. Your wrists will thank you for it later in life.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2009, 14:29.

11. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 14:07 ^mortis^

msrp $79.99 = too much for a mouse.
still cringing over the professional gamers marketing pic on their site.

^m^

10. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 13:34 Tanto Edge

I got my mouse for fifteen bucks, because whoever returned it to the big box retailer, did so in a bag that reeked of pot (looked like a pound delivery bag).
Long and the short: Microsoft Sidewinder mouse, three dpi settings, weights, always set to stun, never kill.

I would never pay more than twenty dollars for a mouse, and that holds true today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

9. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 13:32 Creston

I use a 9 bucks piece of crap Logitech that I bought at Walmart. Seems to work just fine in whatever game I play.

Tried a buddy's Razer mouse (I think?) once, and sure, it moves fine, but I didn't notice 70 bucks worth of difference.

At least those fancy mice do actually OFFER what they are telling you. I keep giggling when I see those "GAMER KING NETWORK CARDS!" that supposedly prioritize game packets and offer "Better latency."

Because apparently your local network card dictates how the internet treats your packets. I'm sure thousands of dipshits buy those things though.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2009, 13:32.

8. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 12:59 Cheezer

Some of the best gamers I know use the Ikari optical mouse. SteelSeries is highly regarded for the technology. Their mice are actually not expensive either ($55). This mouse has a MSRP of $79. I just might give this mouse a try when it comes out in August. Historically, low sensitivity gamers who make very fast mouse movements have steered clear of laser mice and opted for optical mice instead. Perhaps they have gotten this one fast enough to handle it.  

7. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 12:33 HoSpanky

gosh, it boasts pretty much identical stats and abilities to Razer's mice. storing settings on the mouse itself? yeah yeah. razer's had that for years. ridiculous DPI. yep.

lcd menu system is new.

6. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 11:51 Verno

Dude you need to be able to hit an individual hair on a sweaty ass crack at 200 yards with the railgun, duh.  

5. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 11:43 ldonyo

Why? What is the point of have a mouse so sensitive that you cannot control the cursor?  

4. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 11:40 PHJF

SteelSeries keyboards are always extremely expensive for what you are getting, why would the mouse be any different?  

3. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 11:22 Verno

Read the features and if you still think this will be under $150.00 then I have some property to sell you in Africa.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo