Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On the Warcraft Screenplay

A post to the Quarter To Three Forums reveals English screenwriter/game designer/video games journalist Gary Whitta had been working on a script of the Warcraft movie for two years, though it sounds like he's off the project now that Sam Raimi has been signed as its director (thanks superannuation). Word is:

I had actually been working on this for the past two years. Had to keep it under wraps at the time but it doesn't really matter now.

I worked very closely with Legendary and Blizzard to come up with a screenplay that distilled the sprawling Warcraft mythology into a narrative that was easily accessible to the non-player, and everyone was really pleased with the results - I personally thought my last draft of the script in particular was really kick-ass and did a good job of introducing the Warcraft world to non-players while also satisfying hardcore players who knew every nook and cranny of the universe. When Sam expressed interest in the property, however, he had his own pretty specific vision of what he wanted to do story-wise so that's the version they're now pursuing. I'm no longer involved but I wish them all the best with it; so far as I'm concerned Raimi is the best possible director for this.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 24, 2009, 15:01 Verno

More like it will be presented to you by an unemployed mid-30's white dude bumming around in a basement somewhere. He will give you a raiding schedule and you will experience all of the joys of being yelled at by college students and social rejects. Penalties of being late or absent without express permission including forfeiture of assets and DKP.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 21:27 Kxmode

Warcraft will be presented in VENT 5.1 surround sound! A complementary pair of headphones will be given to you when you purchase your tickets.

After the trailer, and before the film begins, you'll see in white text against a black background "CLEAR!" As soon as the film begins you'll see another message "You are now saved to this film. It is scheduled to reset in 90 days."

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2009, 21:30.

16. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 21:22 Kxmode

Warcraft players don't have time for other games.

Lie.

15. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 20:18 Sepharo

Warcraft players don't have time for other games.  

14. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 20:13 Selektaa

Please don't cite Spiderman 3 when listing Raimi's good movies. That thing was an abomination. Lame dialog, lamer plot twists, and that godawful emo-Peter.  

13. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 20:01 Blatz

I had actually been working on this for the past two years. Had to keep it under wraps at the time but it doesn't really matter now.

I worked very closely with Legendary and Blizzard to come up with a screenplay that distilled the sprawling Warcraft mythology into a narrative that was easily accessible to the non-player non-gamer and everyone was really pleased with the results - I personally thought my last draft of the script in particular was really kick-ass and did a good job of introducing the Warcraft world to non-players non-gamers while also satisfying hardcore players gamers who knew every nook and cranny of the universe. When Sam expressed interest in the property, however, he had his own pretty specific vision of what he wanted to do story-wise so that's the version they're now pursuing. I'm no longer involved but I wish them all the best with it; so far as I'm concerned Raimi is the best possible director for this.

12. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 16:46 peteham

As long as PC is the lead-SKU.  

11. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 16:38 jdreyer

As for whether or not this will suck based on the content being original or not, remember this: There are no new stories. It's all in the execution, that is, how the story is told. Movies excel at narrative and character development. If Raimi creates unique, complex characters the way he did with A Simple Plan, and narrative the way he did with Spiderman, using Warcraft as a backdrop, the movie should be quite good. IF the movie is all FX, meaningless action, and insider knowledge, then it won't be very good.

Raimi's got a good track record as a director the past 10 years: A Simple Plan, For the Love of the Game (meh), The Gift, Spidermans 1, 2, & 3, and Drag Me To Hell, which I didn't see, but is currently sitting at 92% on the Rotten Tomatoes. For the Love of the Game is his weakest movie, and incidentally, it's the only one that isn't action/suspense/horror. I think he's a good choice for both the action side of things, as well as the character side. And not only does he have a good track record with movies, but he has a history of involvement with games with his work on the Evil Dead franchise. So he knows what to bring to the movie and what to leave behind.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 15:53 Agent.X7

Warcraft will undoubtedly suck. Why can't people just let games be games and movies be movies? At best, there is nothing that can be done in a Warcraft movie that hasn't already been done better by Tolkien and Peter Jackson; and at least the Lord of the Rings stories were original at the time. Warcraft is a ripoff of a universe that borrowed extremely heavily from Tolkien.

Nothing new under the sun, my friend. Tolkien himself borrowed from those that came before him.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

9. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 15:07 Trainwreck

Warcraft will undoubtedly suck. Why can't people just let games be games and movies be movies? At best, there is nothing that can be done in a Warcraft movie that hasn't already been done better by Tolkien and Peter Jackson; and at least the Lord of the Rings stories were original at the time. Warcraft is a ripoff of a universe that borrowed extremely heavily from Tolkien.

What they should have done was a CG Starcraft movie - although that franchise also ripoffs Warhammer: 40K, at least we haven't seen something quite like it in a movie before. And Blizzard's CG work rocks, so it would have been double-win.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2009, 15:07.

8. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 14:56 Jonny

I predict a trilogy centered around the character of Arthas. Delving into the emotional trauma of being a special prince and the responsibility that comes with his power. Then when his soul is consumed by Frostmourne he spontaneously dyes his hair black, flicks it over one eye and saunters down the road thrusting his pelvis at passersby.  

7. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 14:15 Kxmode

the warcraft universe is like the harry potter universe

The only thing similar to the Harry Potter universe is the school that offers courses in Witchcraft.

6. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 14:05 loomy

the warcraft universe is like the harry potter universe  

5. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 14:04 Cutter

Easily accessible to the non-player? Sigh, this is gonna' suck.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

4. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 11:50 agent_smith

There better be some mailbox dancing or this movie will be a failure.

/agree

3. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 11:32 Verno

For some reason, I see this more as a bad thing than anything.

Oh please, Warcraft is one of the most hackneyed and cliched of videogame universes that ever was. Uwe Boll is about the only person incapable of improving upon it.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

2. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 11:17 Frijoles

There better be some mailbox dancing or this movie will be a failure.  

1. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 11:08 siapnar

When Sam expressed interest in the property, however, he had his own pretty specific vision of what he wanted to do story-wise so that's the version they're now pursuing

For some reason, I see this more as a bad thing than anything.

I have projectile dysfunction.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo