Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Raimi to Direct Warcraft

Blizzard Entertainment announces Sam Raimi has signed to direct the upcoming Warcraft movie. We can only hope it's the heroic red and blue Sam from Spider-Man 1 & 2, and not the evil black-suited Sam from Spidey 3. Anyway, word is: "Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have a shared vision for this film and we searched at length to find the very best director to bring that vision to life," said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice. Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time. We're looking forward to working with him to achieve that here."

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 23, 2009, 21:19 Kxmode

Sure it won't be a GREAT movie ... but what are you expecting? Schindler's List?

I do. There's plenty of jews in my guild!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 23, 2009, 21:18 Kxmode

Wait for it...

shhhh....

magic. missle.

OH SNAP!

63. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 23, 2009, 09:24 Agent.X7

And fantasy in video games a rarity? WTF?

Yes. Are you kidding me? 15 years ago nearly ever game was medieval fantasy. Nearly ever RPG and adventure game had this setting, as did many action games.
Now? Existing properties do it, but how many new properties have knights and dragons? The genre has been killed for botht he contemporary and the futuristic. People want gritty crime or space marines. They don't want orcs and paladins.

Overlord 1&2, 90% of upcoming MMORPGs, Two Worlds, The Witcher, Fable 1 & 2, Dragon Age, Trine, Majesty 1&2, etc, etc, etc.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

62. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 19:16 Krovven

Lord of the Rings, Eragon, Dragonheart, Beowulf, Narnia series, Harry Potter series, Spiderwick, Pirates of the Caribbean, Pans Labyrinth, 300, and plenty of others that simply failed to be good enough to get the viewers.

Movies being made...new Conan (possibly on hold due to economy, not sure), Clash of the Titans, The Hobbit, final 2 Harry Potter movies (last book split into two), and I've seen a few others listed as being in development, adaptations from books I'm not familiar with.

If you want to specifically pigeon-hole "sword & sorcery" movies, no there aren't very many. Until Lord of the Rings, most studios and film makers felt that they couldn't be done properly with a reasonable budget. Especially with most fantasy novels/stories seem to be 'epic' in length and can't be done in a single 90 to 120min movie, that doesn't need sequels to finish. Even now it's still very expensive, but the cost is coming down.

Sci-Fi movies in the 60's and 70's largely sucked because they looked so crappy, and required a huge suspension of disbelief on the part of the viewer...until Star Wars came along and pioneered the modern special effects. Same with the comic book super-hero genre. I'm sure there was people back then claiming it's not what the audiences want...until someone proved them wrong.

There have been more than enough examples of successful fantasy movies to show that if it's good, and isn't crap...people will indulge.

61. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 18:15 Beamer

I'm saying people DO want these movies, but the budget costs generally are the reason they do not get made. And just like any movie of any kind, if the movie sucks, gets mediocre reviews, etc, people will not go to the theatre, opting instead to wait for DVD, or not see it at all.

Not enough. There's a small niche that does but it isn't enough. There's always a small niche that want something.

Regardless, I don't see how people can deny that Tolkien/medieval/sword&sorcery fantasy is at a nadir, or perhaps rising from one.
Computer games should really be the best indicator of this, but if not, how about cartoons? Ok, fine, there aren't many action cartoons, period, but remember the late 70s when Hannah Barbera were kicking out constant medievalesque fantasy? That all died. Or look at how many movies we had like this in Hollywood in the early 80s. The Dark Crystal, Conan, Excalibur, Legend, Labrynth, Beastmaster, Krull, The Black Cauldron, Willow... and this is just off the top of my head. Many of these were terrible, and many flopped, as the market got saturated and, let's be honest, D&D had a horric reputation back then, when people thought it was only played by nerds in dark rooms that fell to their death thinking they could fly. But the genre still captured enough imagination to be regularly tapped into by all forms of media. Malls across America had pewter shops selling stupid dragons with crystals. There were even dragon themed cereals.

How many similar movies, tv shows, etc, can you name in the past 15 years? Hercules, Xena, that D&D movie, Eragon, Narnia, LoTR, uh...

That doesn't mean it won't come back. Westerns are making a bit of a comeback. Zombie movies made a hell of a comeback. But fantasy just hasn't been a genre that captures the imagination. It faded in popularity.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

60. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 18:14 Talisorn

I think Raimi is the perfect choice for directing this movie. It will be fun, entertaining and have lots of tongue-in-cheek in-jokes .... just like WoW. Sure it won't be a GREAT movie ... but what are you expecting? Schindler's List?  

59. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 18:08 Prez

My biggest problem with movies like this is that there is no way to stay all that true to the source material and still make an enjoyable movie. Games and movies just don't mesh well.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

58. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 18:00 space captain

yeh fuck that, bring on the live action Thundercats movie  
Go forth, and kill!

57. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 17:44 rist3903

It needs to be at least decent to make any money from me. If I hear that that they are buggering my childhood memories a-la transformers I will definitely be voting with my wallet.

Hmm. I seem to have missed the thrust of your comment though. While I play more Wow than is reasonably healthy, I am by no stretch of the imagination a child. At least physically.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2009, 17:46.

56. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 17:39 MUGWUMP

Does the movie even need to be that great to make money? There are millions of rabid WoW fans. I see my friends kid begging him to take him to see it no matter what it looks like. Throw in some grizzly bears, fireballs, dragons, and knights with swords and every kid will be begging to see it.  

55. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 17:37 Krovven

(Braveheart, btw, brought in 75 million on a 50 million budget)

That was only 'after' the re-release. It's initial run was around 30 million, possibly less. It completely bombed when it was first released at the beginning of summer, maybe late spring. Second run I believe was in November, which is when it more than doubled it's initial take.

Dagok is pretty well making the same argument I am (they're not popular enough to warrant the investment)

No not really. Your initial argument was 'people DON'T want these kinds of movies, which is why they don't get made'.

I'm saying people DO want these movies, but the budget costs generally are the reason they do not get made. And just like any movie of any kind, if the movie sucks, gets mediocre reviews, etc, people will not go to the theatre, opting instead to wait for DVD, or not see it at all.

I'm saying they do want these movies, but citing budget as the main downfall as to why they don't get made more often. And when they do get made with smaller budgets they end up sucking because the production (bad scripts, sets, acting) and visuals aren't there. Studios just simply can't expect that because you spend 200 million on a movie, more people will go see it vs the average viewership of every other movie.

This isn't accurate, but let's just say the average viewership of a theatrical release is 5 million people. And forget that there are other people taking pieces of each $11 ticket sold. That's 55 million dollars. What would make you think that 15 million people would want to go see a movie that cost you 150 million to make, regardless of genre? There are exceptions, and there are failures year after year.

So stating "they're not popular enough to warrant the investment" while it is accurate, it is not what you initially said. And the point I'm trying to make is that you can't expect 3 to 5 times more people should go see these movies (over the average movie viewership), as that is unrealistic. So stating "people don't want these kinds of movies" is inaccurate.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2009, 17:43.

54. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 17:28 rist3903

Well GDT is kinda booked for the next 10 years or so...from what I've read. Once Raimi was no longer in the running for the Hobbit, Warcraft probably became the next major offer in this genre.

Yeah del Toro is tied up, but wouldn't it be cool. I think he has a sensibility and approach that would have been great for this movie.

Oh well!

53. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 17:24 Muscular Beaver

Is there a reason that you only use the domestic grosses?  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

52. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 17:08 Beamer

Excalibur, Conan, Willow, Beowulf or Dragonheart all werent successful?

How many of those are from the past 15 years?
Dragonheart is, and wasn't successful. 50 million on a 57 million budget.
Beowulf is, and wasn't successful. 82 million on a 150 million budget.

Dagok is saying that the problem is budgetary. This is in part true. The problem is that too many Americans dislike this kind of fantasy genre and avoid it like the plague, really killing the abilities of the movies to make back budget. People would rather see something historic (Braveheart, btw, brought in 75 million on a 50 million budget), or gritty.

Much like westerns, this genre died. Yes, it has hits here and there. So do westerns. That doesn't make them popular or wise to make.

I'm not the one like a wooden post. Dagok is pretty well making the same argument I am (they're not popular enough to warrant the investment) and everyone else is giving examples far outside the bounds I set (the past 15 years.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

51. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 16:54 space captain

its like arguing with a wooden post  
Go forth, and kill!

50. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 16:37 Muscular Beaver

Excalibur, Conan, Willow, Beowulf or Dragonheart all werent successful?  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

49. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 16:25 Krovven

I think Guillermo del Toro would have been a better choice as a director, but I am cautiously optimistic about this.

Well GDT is kinda booked for the next 10 years or so...from what I've read. Once Raimi was no longer in the running for the Hobbit, Warcraft probably became the next major offer in this genre.

48. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 16:23 Krovven

Name some good Fantasy movies, that people didn't go see.

Stardust?

I wouldn't call Stardust good. It did get above average reviews from views and critics. Personally I didn't enjoy it and found it quite hokey. Pulling a single movie out isn't difficult, that can be done with any genre. Fact is, there are few fantasy movies that are actually good. ie: Braveheart was a huge flop until it was nominated for Oscars, word-of-mouth and was re-released in the theatres.

Just to clarify, I'm not referring to Braveheart as being a Fantasy film, but it's a great film that nobody went to see when it had it's first run.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2009, 16:38.

47. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 16:22 rist3903

I think Guillermo del Toro would have been a better choice as a director, but I am cautiously optimistic about this.

I would imagine based on how much Blizzard has kept a motherly eye on their intellectual property that they will be keeping Raimi on a fairly tight leash. Look what happened to WarCraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans.

46. Re: Raimi to Direct Warcraft Jul 22, 2009, 16:21 space captain

legend of the seeker is certainly not the typical raimi of yore.. this movie could go many different directions.. im on board  
Go forth, and kill!

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo