Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SOE Cuts

IndustryGamers reports Sony Online Entertainment has laid off 41 employees, equaling 5% of its workforce. Word is: "In a move to increase operational efficiency and reduce costs, Sony Online Entertainment has eliminated 5% of its full-time workforce, equaling 41 people. SOE looks forward to continuing its leadership role in the online games industry as it celebrates the highly successful launch of Free Realms, the 10-year commemoration of its ground-breaking EverQuest franchise, and the continued performance of the company’s other games."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 18, 2009, 13:10 CJ_Parker

I was making a genuine request for help to confirm I calculated right. What's your problem?

Dude, lighten up. You gotta admit that it was a pretty fucking retarded question to ask given the fact that... a) as I said, the mathematical problem could easily be solved by elementary school students due to its complete lack of complexity and b) calculators are kinda common these days, ya know, and unless you're posting to Blue's from some seriously weird pure command line OS there is an excellent chance that your OS has a built-in calculator, too!
So the answer to your question was most likely just a couple mouse clicks and a few keystrokes away and certainly a lot less effort even than creating that post of yours. But hey we all have our little dumbass moments some time so iz no big deal. Don't worry about it, pal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 18, 2009, 07:44 Burrito of Peace

Remember when everyone was excited for Star Wars Galaxies, and it actually seemed sort of fun for a little bit? I sort of do.

No. I always saw in my head the legions of whiny cunts that would all want to be Jedis or Sith so we could see "Darth Sephiroth Cloudstrife Kitsune" or "Y0da".

That game had "Bag of Suck" written all over it from the day it was announced.

8. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 18, 2009, 07:19 zincthallinide

Remember when everyone was excited for Star Wars Galaxies, and it actually seemed sort of fun for a little bit? I sort of do.  

7. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 17, 2009, 23:24 Elf Shot The Food

I was making a genuine request for help to confirm I calculated right. What's your problem?

***born to troll***

6. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 17, 2009, 23:01 Kxmode

If my math is right 5% of 41 would mean they had 820 employees. So now they have 779. Can someone confirm?

Yeah, I can confirm that your math is right. Here. Have a cookie, son. I'm pretty damned proud of you that you mastered the 3rd grader's art of percentage calculation. Impressive!

5. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 17, 2009, 22:55 wtf_man

41 people doesn't seem like alot.

I bet they were mostly QA people... those are the first to get cut in most companies (even in the non-gaming industry), which is dumb.

4. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 17, 2009, 22:10 The Half Elf

At the same time, SOE has been rather stagnant besides Everquest 1 and 2 expansions. Free Realms is sorta interesting but I don't see them making decent money off the micro-transactions.
The Matrix Online was/or is gone, and they have alot of overhead for DC Universe Online and The Agency.
41 people doesn't seem like alot.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 17, 2009, 22:10 CJ_Parker

If my math is right 5% of 41 would mean they had 820 employees. So now they have 779. Can someone confirm?

Yeah, I can confirm that your math is right. Here. Have a cookie, son. I'm pretty damned proud of you that you mastered the 3rd grader's art of percentage calculation. Impressive!

2. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 17, 2009, 20:36 Wildone

Those 41 people must have really been sucking SOE dry I guess, a multi million dollar company like that. Oh well they can always find replacements, the market flooded with people as it is. Maybe they will just out source to India!  

1. Re: SOE Cuts Jul 17, 2009, 20:12 Kxmode

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo