Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Remedy on Max Payne 3

Remedy's Oskari Hakkinen on Alan Wake on Joystiq discusses the upcoming psychological thriller that may or may not be released for the PC. Along the way he has some nice things to say about Rockstar's continuation of the Max Payne series: "Ha ha, great question. Sam's looking just great and is by no means on his way to looking like the new Max. We are really happy to see it's coming out and we're very anxious to see the Rockstar interpretation. We always knew it would be done, now we are excited to see it."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 20, 2009, 14:05 Verno

I'd love to see a new Tribes or Quake game but those will never happen because they simply don't work with gamepads.

Section 8 Beta open on Fileplanet, it pretty much IS the next Tribes. Gamepad FPS games aren't going away since the FPS crowd in general keep moving away to consoles. With the formation of MLG the consoles are starting a serious movement at grabbing the PC sponsorship side in "professional" gaming leagues.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 19, 2009, 17:06 Masa

Slow navigation in menus and while not strictly related to gamepads Assassin's Creed is insane wrt.

No shit...I really wanted to like the game finish it...I eventually did, but the motivation was "just to finish it."

31. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 18, 2009, 18:05 Jerykk

To be fair, AC's quitting debacle has more to do with poor menu design than gamepads. They could have very simply given you a "Quit to Desktop" option when you pause the game, as other PC games do, but evidently they didn't think of that.  

30. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 18, 2009, 17:45 Bludd

It's the same with consoles, it's just that you have to buy a whole new box when they decide they aren't going to make games for your console any more.

I'm with Jerykk on the gamepad thing too. Slow navigation in menus and while not strictly related to gamepads Assassin's Creed is insane wrt. quitting the game. To quit the game, you have to quit the game first, thus forcing to you quit twice. If this was a proper PC game, you'd just open the console and write quit and that'd be the end, but no, Assassin's Creed forces you to play in their metaphor even though you are not going to play any more. If you were driving a car and you wanted to stop, you'd slow down, turn off the engine and get out. If it was an Assassin's Creed car you'd have to slow down, turn off the engine, slow down and then get out.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2009, 17:46.

29. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 18, 2009, 14:40 Jerykk

I don't really have a problem with the graphics standard being set by consoles. It just means that most games will run at 60+ FPS on my rig. I do, however, have a problem with shooters and such being designed around gamepads. Since gamepads are so limited, we're not getting any shooters that really push the limits of the genre. I'd love to see a new Tribes or Quake game but those will never happen because they simply don't work with gamepads.  

28. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 18, 2009, 12:29 Slink

I mean, Crytek is stepping backwards with CryEngine 3.

Why is that a bad thing? I mean, how many computers can adequately play Crysis right now at full settings?

The point I'm trying to make is that because of consoles, developers are forced to push the limits of hardware, whereas before they would just rely on hardware companies to release new stuff that consumers would be forced to buy.

Look at Call of Duty, for example. The game plays wonderfully on PC and it looks phenomenal. Developers were forced to work with the hardware available and make the best looking game they could. I think that's GOOD for PC gaming because one of the always brought-up negatives about it is that you always have to keep upgrading your stuff. Now all you have to do is just get hardware that tops the current generation of console hardware and you'll be set for quite a while.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2009, 12:30.

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

27. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 18, 2009, 10:58 Beamer

Bludd is right that they're being constrained by consoles. The new engines prove this, I mean, Crytek is stepping backwards with CryEngine 3.

But it's cost prohibitive to do anything else.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 23:23 Bludd

But Slink, that has been true for a long time, but the problem is that before when you had the NES or the SNES or whatever, PC games weren't constrained by what those consoles could do. If you had a Sound Blaster, you could have fully digitized voices and CD quality music in games (Day of the Tentacle for instance, a 1993 game) while the SNES could do some MIDI music and sometimes the cartridges had tiny voice samples for special occasions. On the PC you could have 650 MB or 700 MB CD-ROMs while the SNES had 8 Mbit cartridges (Star Fox was released in the same year as DOTT for instance and was 8 Mbit).

Now, PC games are made to the constraints of the consoles, despite the PC being able to do so much more. If you have a GeForce GPU with PhysX enabled, you could have more advanced and detailed physics, if you have an X-Fi, you could have 128 hardware accelerated sounds playing at the same time through OpenAL, if you have a Core i7, you could encode a video while playing a game if you limit the video encoding to 3-4 threads or something.

PC games should not be constrained by consoles.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2009, 23:24.

25. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 23:07 Slink

Consoles are holding back gaming? I don't think that's necessarily true. While I do see that it's holding back certain types of games from advancing, I appreciate that developers ate now more constrained in designing for the static hardware of the consoles instead of saying "Screw em, they'll just have to buy new video cards." I like that I don't have to upgrade nearly as often anymore, and game graphics are still looking better and better with every release because the developers are being forced to maximize the potential of the hardware they can work with.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2009, 23:11.

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

24. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 19:04 space captain

no its just that my mind isnt limited only to thoughts of cheez doodles and boobies.. its ok tho, "when the bow breaks, the cradle will fall.." nitey nite  
Go forth, and kill!

23. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 18:50 The PC Warrior

people generally lack the will to retain their identity in any given situation.. instead it flows into ideas of external objects and is enslaved by them

You smoke entirely too much weed.

22. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 18:41 space captain

I will give you one thing, you have balls.

too bad he doesnt own them. the console does

people generally lack the will to retain their identity in any given situation.. instead it flows into ideas of external objects and is enslaved by them

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 17:18 Beamer

Max Payne 3 is DEFINITELY coming out.

It tends to be only deserving topics that turn into debates. Blue's accidentaly ambiguous wording is what turned this into one of those. Just a little confusing. No big deal.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2009, 17:18.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 17:09 Overon

It may or may not be coming out on pc? Then I may or may not care.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2009, 17:10.

19. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 17:00 The PC Warrior

The consoles are gaming now.

Fixed.

I will give you one thing, you have balls.

18. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 16:33 Creston

Holy crap... every thread on Blues turns into some flame war between consoles and PCs.

It's just a few giant tools that keep turning every thread into one of those. Ignore them or get the greasemonkey blues filter, and such shit remains mercifully off your screen.

I liked Oskari's jab at Sam Lake.

Creston

17. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 16:13 Prez

There is no question. It's just the headline that showed "Remedy on Max Payne 3", and the subheading contained a highlighted "may or may not be released on PC", which could trick you into getting the wrong impression at first.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 16:10 Jerykk

I'm fairly confident this will show up on PC. It has already been announced as such and unlike Microsoft, Rockstar/Take-Two have no reason to cancel it so they can promote any one console.  

15. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 15:40 the_culture

The consoles are gaming now.

Fixed.

Holy crap... every thread on Blues turns into some flame war between consoles and PCs. This is why I stopped reading the gaming mags and don't visit sites like Gamespot and IGN; they're always inciting these useless debates.

Looks like I can't get away from it... even here.

14. Re: Remedy on Max Payne 3 Jul 17, 2009, 15:19 Muscular Beaver

Fixed.

LOL, I thought I know who wrote this. Typical childish mentality that is mostly found in the WoW forums. I remembered who I called that before and oh surprise, its indeed Verno.
Youre so predictable.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo