Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG

Though developer Obsidian already revealed the cancellation of the Aliens RPG, publisher SEGA has finally broken their silence on the project, telling TotalVideoGames.com the game is officially cancelled, saying, "At this point, SEGA has no plans to move forward with the Aliens RPG." They go on to provide their outlook on the property:

The Aliens franchise offers us so much content to choose from that we feel it important to take a step back and carefully consider the type of game we want to release. We plan to continue working with the Aliens franchise and ask fans to be patient and stay tuned for more information about what SEGA has coming out for the Aliens series of games, starting with the upcoming Alien vs. Predator game. We are very excited about and focused on Alien vs. Predator, which promises gamers a fantastic single player game and an equally compelling multiplayer experience. We are confident that it provides all the excitement and fun that the Aliens and Predator fans are looking for.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 16, 2009, 18:08 Jerykk

I haven't followed this so I don't know the direction they were headed before it was canned, but I think there was lots of potential for a fun RPG in the Alien-universe. Dealing with shady corporate types (or being one yourself). Finding artifacts on distant planets. Questionable ethics & experiments, sending people on suicide missions (or going yourself) and all that fun stuff. With some imminent invasion or infestation as the requisite mainquest of course. There was plenty of surrounding mostly unexplored lore they could've delved into/invented.

That could have been interesting. Almost sounds like X-COM.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 16, 2009, 07:15 peteham

I don't really see how an Aliens RPG would work either unless it was more of a survival/horror game with RPG elements like System Shock 2.
I haven't followed this so I don't know the direction they were headed before it was canned, but I think there was lots of potential for a fun RPG in the Alien-universe. Dealing with shady corporate types (or being one yourself). Finding artifacts on distant planets. Questionable ethics & experiments, sending people on suicide missions (or going yourself) and all that fun stuff. With some imminent invasion or infestation as the requisite mainquest of course. There was plenty of surrounding mostly unexplored lore they could've delved into/invented.

Though I agree a survival/horror-game with RPG elements would've been the more likely result. "You are stuck on a planet and must find a way off" seems the likely scenario. In fact, some minor stat-system and weapons upgrade overlay seems almost sufficient to warrant the RPG-tag these days..

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2009, 07:18.

12. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 16, 2009, 07:08 Acleacius

SS2 setting would be perfect. What about having a ship aka kotor, traveling to different planets, being in a part of space where an invasion first started taking place, a reboot if you will like Batman or Star Trek helping stave off invasion on different plants? I know there are several space settings like kotor and ME but what publisher wouldn't want a good space RPG they sell very well, especially RPGs?  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 16, 2009, 02:47 Jerykk

I don't really see how an Aliens RPG would work either unless it was more of a survival/horror game with RPG elements like System Shock 2.  

10. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 16, 2009, 02:17 Wildone

I don't see how a stop-and-think RPG would ever work in the Aliens world..it was NEVER that type of genre. C'mon now..  

9. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 16, 2009, 02:16 Wildone

AVP was cool long before the awful movie, Monolith did a good job which was a lot of fun MP. Still is IMHO  

8. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 15, 2009, 23:42 The Half Elf

Colonial Marines is still in development, but it was put on a back burner for other projects.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 15, 2009, 23:30 PropheT

Aliens would be great, but screw the AvP stuff. It's like the Freddy vs. Jason thing... they're both fine on their own, but stop trying to ram them together like you need both. They all stop being interesting when it's just monsters fighting like an old Godzilla movie rather than the human element of fear and survival being the showcase of the story.  

6. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 15, 2009, 22:23 DangerDog

Not really all that jazzed about an Aliens vs. Predator game, I was looking forward to the Colonial Marines Aliens game but I guess that got the old SEGA axe as well.  

5. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 15, 2009, 22:07 Acleacius

If this is the game BMitsoda was working on doing dialogs on this is a huge letdown. He was responsible for most if not all the dialogs in Bloodlines, one of the best written RPGs ever.

Still I refuse to give up, Sega like so many publisher's bank accounts need a hit and if RPG was still a year or two away, I can see why they did an emergency stop. Sounded like early development was a problems since they were just building their new engine at Obsidian, so they had a constant struggle. However the new (completed?) engine surely has the same base and things like textures would be an easy conversion, at least I hope.

RPGs can be huge sellers even poorly written ones like Fallout 3, so imagine a mostly completed RPG in the AvP universe with world class writing. Drool

My bet is, if Sega/Obsidian get a hit or a couple good sellers this game will be released within 3 years.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

4. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 15, 2009, 21:18 Zadig

Im actually surprised it wasnt a MMORPG: Be the first to reach level 80 by killing millions of boars with an axe!  

3. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 15, 2009, 21:03 Cutter

An aliens CRPG would have been sweet.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 15, 2009, 20:56 space captain

The Aliens franchise offers us so much content to choose from that we feel it important to take a step back and carefully consider the type of game we want to release. ... We are very excited about and focused on Alien vs. Predator, ... We are confident that it provides all the excitement and fun that the Aliens and Predator fans are looking for.

so the 'aliens' world or space ship environments - are they saying it wouldnt make a good 'ultima underworld' or 'system shock' type game? are you fucking kidding? its like pb and j .. maybe they are saying they had a diablo type game and it was crap - eh who knows, but an aliens RPG is natural fit

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 15, 2009, 20:19 Prez

Oh well, AvP still looks good. Too bad about Aliens RPG - the premise definitely held promise.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo