Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions

This reddit thread is the outcome of an AMA session with Crystal Dynamics attended by Karl Stewart, Global Brand Director for Tomb Raider and Noah Hughes, Creative Director for Tomb Raider. As noted on Videogamer, they were asked along the way about the possibility of single-player DLC for the new Tomb Raider reboot, which they shot down. "There are currently no plans in place for any Single Player expansions," said Karl Stewart. "All of our DLC is based around the Multiplayer experience for now." They also seem to rule out throwback appearance DLC as well. "We did try to have a lot of nods to the classics in this reboot," says Hughes. "And even her outfit itself is intended to evoke her classic outfit in a way, but is more practical for her situation. This was just an example of trying to play that balance between fresh and familiar."

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 13:29 Acleacius

qte are one of the most pathetic game designs ever created. Along with holding Quick and Hard Save, anytime.

Since there's no evidence it's a profit based decision, it must be some delusional narcissism.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 13:12 ledhead1969

I would buy a LOT more DLC if it was SP focused. I never understood the focus on MP DLC for games that are not MP focused. Some VPs need to get fired.  

24. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 13:06 Jivaro

I don't mind the use of QTE in a game, I mind poor use of QTEs in a game. I liked Heavy Rain, but that is a "choose your own adventure" book turned into a video game. The QTE mechanic, particularly combined with the Move, really works with that game. I look at a game like Ninja Gaiden however and I think that overwhelmingly the QTEs are used poorly and serve only to break immersion and slow the pacing to a mind numbing halt. The game is difficult to master, that is what makes it fun. I don't need to get stuck on some precisely timed QTE for an hour to make it "more difficult". That isn't difficulty, that is annoying.

On the topic of Tomb Raider DLC...I would have thought that single player tombs released as DLC was an obvious money maker. Oh well, on to other games in my backlog I guess. I loved Tomb Raider but I am not at all interested in the multiplayer.

23. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 13:02 jacobvandy

I thought it was cool how her outfit got worn and torn over the course of the game, but then I was disappointed when it stopped short of making her really look like classic Lara. I also got a HUGE gamer-boner when (spoiler? I guess?): her signature dual-pistols showed up. Unfortunately you only get to equip one in normal gameplay. But then you get total boner resurgence at the very end when you blast [main bad guy] in the face with both pistols. Just remember to alternate clicks, 'cause there is no dual-wielding anywhere else in the game and you might not realize you're supposed to do that for the full effect. I liked the game and all, but I'm not sure what it means if the most memorable parts were in homage to the classics...  

22. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 12:30 gobehz

Moog wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 10:14:
InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:29:
Id like to go back to the cutscenes please
Check out May Payne 3 then - more cut scene than game!

would you rather just look at a loading screen?

21. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 12:09 Kajetan

deqer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 11:07:
They can vent about it on forums, but that won't change anything, unfortunately.
Those people are the backbone of any crowdfunding gaming project. They change something. A LOT of something.

But, please, do rage on about this thing you just found while picking your nose.

20. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 11:25 NegaDeath

That's refreshing, it means they didn't cut out any single player content to make more money selling it as DLC. Wish more devs took that approach.  

19. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 11:17 nin

deqer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 11:07:
They can vent about it on forums, but that won't change anything, unfortunately.

It's a pity you don't follow your own advice more often.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 11:07 deqer

We are in a new generation now, with young fresh kiddies now playing games. The 30 yearolds have moved on to their real lives now. Corporations know this, and are taking advantage of it; therefore have no problem shoving new business model of "no single-player" down peoples' throats; because to the people(the young fresh kids), it's not a bad thing because it's their first experience. But for the 30 yearolds--that haven't moved on, and are still playing games--is where all the rage comes from. Unfortunately, the 30yearolds--that haven't moved on--are only a "fraction" of the current generation community of gaming and therefore will have no impact of their "say" on what's bad about the current business model, unfortunately. They can vent about it on forums, but that won't change anything, unfortunately.

17. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 10:39 Trevellian

As amazing as Tomb Raiders single player is, and how happy I am with it.

The multiplayer is awful. Something is seriously wrong with their camera positioning. It pales in comparison to Uncharted's multiplayer. So this was the only disappointing aspect of the game for me. Guess I won't be downloading the DLC.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

16. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 10:31 Xero

There was a lot of cutscenes in Max Payne 3...
The worse part was it said you can press Enter to skip them yet that never actually worked 90% of the time...

Currently playing: Skyrim

15. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 10:26 siapnar

Moog wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 10:14:
I have to admit... playing through MP3 again, there are a ton of fucking cutscenes with pointlessly drab dialogue. Really annoying.

I have projectile dysfunction.

14. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 10:22 Beamer

avianflu wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 10:14:
I liked the qte's in the first god of war (you felt like you were making something happen because you saw it gradually happen/change on the screen).

But I havent like a single use of QTE since.

Those were the QTEs I hated. They replaced gameplay.

Cutscene ones just draw you more into the cut scene. So long as it's something you expect I'm ok with it. Not in the "HIT X NOW OR DIE!," but Walking Dead had "HIT X NOW OR THAT GUY DIES" or "HIT X NOW OR THAT GUY WILL LIKE YOU LESS."
Those fit in pretty well.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: No Plans for buying Tomb Raider Mar 20, 2013, 10:17 Verno

Xero wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 10:13:
Overall, I don't have that many issues with it though as it's not THAT often in Tomb Raider as many players make it seem. It's like you played the first 10-15 minutes only and returned it without seeing just how open the world becomes later on...

Far from it, I'm still playing and loving the game. I just hate QTEs in all forms, whether they are used for tutorials or "enhancing" dramatic scenes or etc. They are just a lazy, unwelcome game mechanic without any positive value IMHO. They don't ruin the game though and I never said that they did, I quite enjoy it.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

12. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 10:14 Moog

11. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 10:14 avianflu

I liked the qte's in the first god of war (you felt like you were making something happen because you saw it gradually happen/change on the screen).

But I havent like a single use of QTE since.

10. Re: No Plans for buying Tomb Raider Mar 20, 2013, 10:13 Xero

To be fair, I believe the QTE are meant to make the player more involved in the cinematic and make sure your paying attention, lol. At the same time, it is kinda lame when your sort of spacing out watching some drama unfold and then out of the blue they throw a symbol on the screen and you spit the soda out, drop your pizza on the keyboard, and scramble for the key to be pressed.

Overall, I don't have that many issues with it though as it's not THAT often in Tomb Raider as many players make it seem. It's like you played the first 10-15 minutes only and returned it without seeing just how open the world becomes later on...

As for the single DLC, I don't mind their decision to not create new single player content, because I'm sure it would just be a new tomb here or their to discover and solve the puzzle, and nada more. I'd rather take maybe some additional weapons/outfits and call it a day. They can totally leave multi-player a lone but whatever. Maybe there are actually people who do enjoy it.

I'll wait until the next Tomb Raider release for my next purchase involving TR

Currently playing: Skyrim

9. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 09:38 Kajetan

In the 90's we had cutscenes, in the 00's we have QTEs. Id like to go back to the cutscenes please, they might be just as immersion breaking but at least I dont have the feeling of finger raping my keyboard or mouse.
True, true. At least, i actually can watch something. Seeing some value i paid for. During a QTE i have no clue what my character does, what exactly happens. The second coming of Jesus might be shown during a QTE. I concentrate only on those stupid symbols and hope its all over soon.

8. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 09:29 InBlack

Kajetan wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:17:
Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 08:59:
Speaking of QTEs, when will this horrid design crutch die already?
When games are no longer made for people with numb minds?

In the 90's we had cutscenes, in the 00's we have QTEs. Id like to go back to the cutscenes please, they might be just as immersion breaking but at least I dont have the feeling of finger raping my keyboard or mouse.

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 09:25 El Pit

Kudos to them for releasing the complete single player game. That doesn't happen very often these days. Because of this, I'm considering buying the game earlie (and more expensive) than usual. Devs, that's the way to do it!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo