Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheLeech

Real Name TheLeech   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheLeech
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 17, 2001, 14:05
Total Comments 122 (Novice)
User ID 9669

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > The Carbon Footprint of Games Distribution
3. Re: The Carbon Footprint of Games Distribution Sep 3, 2014, 11:00 TheLeech

In this study, they are considering distribution only in the UK, and Sony has a mastering facility in Austria. This strikes me as pretty much as best-case scenario for physical distribution. The authors think the results for the U.S. would be similar, though they do say that the physical distribution costs could be triple based on the U.S.'s geographical size.

If I read this and some of the supporting documents correctly, I think the two takeaways are that faster speeds benefit everyone because energy consumption does not scale with speed. I.E., A 1Gb/s connection does not use 100 times as much energy as a 10Mb/s connection.

Second is that improving energy efficiency at the terminal locations will help. Does the PS3 really need to consume 93Wh when downloading? Are there energy savings to be found in modem/routers?

And as noted, some of these folks work/worked for Sony DADC (disc makers) at the time this study was conducted, so, yeah.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
19. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 12, 2014, 22:40 TheLeech

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:41:
I wasn't making a comparison. I was just concurring with Beamer that there is still some lingering bitterness over what happened to Halo following Bungie's acquisition by Microsoft back in 2001. The game that was being demoed back in 2000 was a completely different beast, an absolutely incredible looking beast that would have been way ahead of its time, than what eventually landed on XBOX.

Old-school Apple/Mac gamer here (though I had switched to PC gaming in the late '90s). Confirmed I am still bitter about what happened with Halo.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2014, 14:56 TheLeech

I preferred Letterman because, as has been remarked upon elsewhere, he punched up whereas Leno punched down.  

News Comments > January Steam Hardware & Software Survey
12. Re: January Steam Hardware & Software Survey Feb 4, 2014, 11:08 TheLeech

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 05:42:
TheLeech wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 19:33:
Don't be dense. Those are older panels.
Gotcha. So new panels with lower resolution, better than old panels with a higher resolution!

*Insert in soviet russia joke*

Perhaps you're new to PC gaming. The 1366x768 panels are older.

9. Re: January Steam Hardware & Software Survey Feb 3, 2014, 19:33 TheLeech

Don't be dense. Those are older panels.  

7. Re: January Steam Hardware & Software Survey Feb 3, 2014, 16:10 TheLeech

There's nothing odd about it. It was a cheap way for panel manufacturers to make 16:9(ish) screens.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 23:24 TheLeech

You guys keep legalizing all these drugs, you're gonna put poor Bats out of a job!  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
7. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 10:27 TheLeech

It will work with GCN boards, so 7000 series and up.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 15, 2014, 11:29 TheLeech

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 11:21:
Fucking Genachowski and his piss-ant regulation that doesn't do shit.

Too further elucidate on Creston's comment, Genachowski created this mess when he didn't classify ISPs as "common carriers." I do not expect the current FCC chairman, Tom Wheeler, to pursue reclassification strongly.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 12:17 TheLeech

Verno wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:58:
Ozmodan wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:33:
I will solve all your problems, don't buy a console.

A friend was over yesterday, his kids want a console for xmas and he was wondering which was better. I took him down the street to watch another friends kids play a PC version of Battlefield 4 on a 4k tv. After telling him that the consoles won't support that resolution, he changed his mind and is getting them a good gaming PC.

Based on a true story

Names and playable resolutions changed to protect the innocent.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 11:49 TheLeech

nin wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:37:
Ozmodan wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:33:
I will solve all your problems, don't buy a console.

A friend was over yesterday, his kids want a console for xmas and he was wondering which was better. I took him down the street to watch another friends kids play a PC version of Battlefield 4 on a 4k tv. After telling him that the consoles won't support that resolution, he changed his mind and is getting them a good gaming PC.

Oh, that's so fascinating.

Indeed, what sort of system plays BF4 at 4K?

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
25. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 10, 2013, 19:47 TheLeech

I would just like to publicly point out that I disagree with deleting my earlier post. I'll admit the first sentence was an ad hominem, but certainly of the weakest variety.

And indeed, Cutter was and is still wrong.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. removed Nov 9, 2013, 13:51 TheLeech

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 10, 2013, 10:54.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2013, 10:39 TheLeech

fawker wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 10:27:
Toilets might be tampon friendly, but not always your sewer line.

This, OMG, this. I didn't realize the line had overflowed into my basement for three days. I curse my cousin to this day.

News Comments > More Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details
9. Re: More Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details Sep 20, 2013, 16:36 TheLeech

They've almost reached feature parity with Battlefield 2! Progress!  

1. Re: Next-gen consoles and GoT characters Jun 17, 2013, 10:37 TheLeech

I don't think the creator of that image has read the books.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Nov 8, 2012, 13:35 TheLeech

Cutter wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 12:44:
I would have liked to see them try the crazy angle of someone who's never been a gangster or soldier but just an average joe who somehow gets sucked/forced into this crazy world and the all the goings on. As the marines say, improvise, adapt, overcome.

Ah, something along the lines of Breaking Bad? I like where you're going with this. Maybe the character commits a small crime that continues to snowball.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Oct 25, 2012, 21:19 TheLeech

You've never heard of most journalists, so you shouldn't paint with such a broad stroke. As a former "real" journalist and a current "fake" journalist, I can tell you that your average reporter at a newspaper is just trying to cover their beat to the best of their ability. Where you will find influence peddling is higher up the chain, with "name" journalists or columnists, and even then, you're looking mostly at the national media.

If it helps, think of games journalists as B2B journalists. It's a much more symbiotic relationship than actual newspaper journalism.

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
158. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 9, 2012, 01:30 TheLeech

Krodge wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 00:55:
So she refused to submit to someone sexually harassing her at work and humiliating her in front of her coworkers and that makes her a 'pussy'?

She stood up for herself, asked him to stop, he refused. And now she's going to make sure he's punished for it.
Pussy my ass.

I suppose if Stanly Manly were in a similar situation, With a gay male boss, he would do the 'manly' thing and be more submissive towards him, Thank him for the privilege of being allowed to work under him, answer all his intrusive questions, Allow himself to be mocked and teased by an all male gay staff?
But to take a stand?...no no no. Why that would make him a pussy!

I think Stanly lives the beta (or bottom, if you will) lifestyle in male-male relationships. He just hates uppity people, like women and minorities. Oh, and anyone who uses the legal system to seek recompense when wronged.

That's just how life is lived in man world, son.

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
133. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 7, 2012, 14:26 TheLeech

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 14:13:
BobBob wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 12:24:
If someone harassed my wife like that I'd put him in the hospital for a week.

And they'd put you in jail for a decade.

Not in man world, son.

122 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo