Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for KO

Real Name KO   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Shok
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2001, 15:27
Total Comments 833 (Graduate)
User ID 9616

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 17, 2011, 16:46 Shok

jimnms wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 15:34:
Ugh, that gives me a headache just remembering that. I remember having to go over the load order to free up a few KB to run a new game.

I mostly used QEMM for DOS memory squeezing but I do remember having a plain old bootdisk floppy for Falcon 3 lol

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Ultima IV Released
5. Re: Free Ultima IV Released Jun 2, 2011, 20:28 Shok

Not 30 years since Ultima4...that came out around 1985-86.

Anyways, that ultimaforever.com website must have exceeded bandwidth or something since its resolving to a generic redirector page now...

Edit: nevermind, it's back up now.

News Comments > Pride of Nations Demo & Preorder DLC
1. Re: Pride of Nations Demo & Preorder DLC Jun 1, 2011, 11:25 Shok

If it's DLC before the game is even out why isn't it in the friggin' game to begin with!  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups
5. Re: Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups May 31, 2011, 22:42 Shok

I'm actually surprised more games don't have elite monikers appealing to the, umm, l33t d00ds.  

News Comments > Company of Heroes Patch
4. Re: Company of Heroes Patch May 26, 2011, 17:33 Shok

Paketep wrote on May 26, 2011, 16:50:
Nice to get a patch (there is still A LOT of issues in the game), but after 5 years, couldn't they finally remove the stupid DRM?

If I remember correctly, the vanilla CoH had no DRM except for online play and even there people could just use Hamachi and play each other. The first expansion and patches to integrate the vanilla version changed all that though. So, to answer your question, they probably have no intention of removing it.

Also, fyi this is like a 4gb+ update download in STEAM...

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed
2. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 17:27 Shok

Funny, the reason I didn't buy it in Target the other day was the DRM message on the box. Well, actually, I rationalized to myself that I have too many damn games already and wouldn't be able to really play it for months anyway so it would be best to just wait for the December sale  

News Comments > Sony's DCUO Make Good Plan
3. Re: Sony's DCUO Make Good Plan May 4, 2011, 21:54 Shok

I guess it's a little better than giving everybody lube  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Delayed
11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 20:04 Shok

The Advocate wrote on May 4, 2011, 19:41:
nin wrote on May 4, 2011, 19:37:
Their goal, Prez, is to make the game playable with an atari 2600 joystick.

C'mon, nin, let's not denigrate the Godfather of all gaming input devices. Let's shit on something more appropriate, the original Nintendo controller.

{Insert old man, get off my lawn quote here}

Indeed, that controller was great. I think I actually played more games with the 2600 joystick on my C64 than on the 2600

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale May 2, 2011, 21:23 Shok

I may get Crysis 2 if STEAM/EA has a decent sale day for it this week.  

News Comments > LucasArts Signs Unreal Engine 3 Deal
12. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 15:14 Shok

Acleacius wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 14:30:
Also haven't most of the developers who did the older games like Outlaws and Tie Fighter left LA anyway?

Yeah, you are probably right. The last time I googled Darren Stinnet (exec. prod. of Outlaws) he was working on Star Trek online or something. The other guys who worked on the levels, etc. are probably long gone too.

I almost worked at LucasArts. Darren emailed me back in '96 that he liked a multiplayer map I did for Outlaws called Rattlesnake Ravine and invited me out to interview. It was a rough interview but even if I was offered the job it wouldn't have payed much. It was a blast to meet the developers of Outlaws and see the JK2 stuff they were working on before it came out though.

News Comments > LucasArts Signs Unreal Engine 3 Deal
8. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 14:13 Shok

For the umpteenth time in the Blue's forums I shall say again MAKE OUTLAWS SEQUEL

kthxbye

News Comments > World of Warcraft Rise of the Zandalari Trailer
3. Re: World of Warcraft Rise of the Zandalari Trailer Apr 26, 2011, 14:10 Shok

I might play it some more to check out this patch. I quit the week before Christmas but have lots of points accumulated on my WoW Visa reward card now (at least four months of game time credit). I can send you a free 30 days if you want nin

I'm torn though...I have so much more free time without WoW in my life anymore.

News Comments > Age of Empires Online Beta Key Giveaway
16. Re: Age of Empires Online Beta Key Giveaway Apr 26, 2011, 10:39 Shok

I'd like a key please, Blue. Thanks!  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 22, 2011, 23:06 Shok

$5 for Metro 2033 was too good to refuse, especially since it uses Steam so I just copy and pasted my key from the Gamersgate receipt into the STEAM activate new game dealie. Only about four hours left on the sale now though so get it quick if you want it.  

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
5. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Apr 22, 2011, 23:03 Shok

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 20:53:
Techie714 wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 20:09:
A-10 on STEAM YES!!!

$60? Um, not a prayer.

Yeah, I waited to buy DCS: Black Hawk in the bargain bin for $20 and I still haven't really played it much. It has the activation/deactivation DRM though which I always hate. The STEAM page for A-10 doesn't say anything about 3rd party DRM though so maybe it doesn't have the same setup...either way I won't be paying that kind of money for it. I'll catch it in a good sale or the bargain bin maybe.

News Comments > Fable III on Steam
8. Re: Fable III on Steam Apr 21, 2011, 14:49 Shok

ASeven wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 13:47:
Please, please remake Populous or Powermonger. Thanks.

Seriously, Populous rebooted, I'd be happy with the same basic isometric view and gameplay with updated graphics and controls for modern day PC's. Heck, an indie dev could even remake Populous. Please?

News Comments > DoW II: Retribution The Last Standalone, and Relic ♥s Steam
11. Re: DoW II: Retribution The Last Standalone, and Relic &#9829;s Steam Apr 21, 2011, 10:33 Shok

I don't know maybe I haven't got to that loading screen yet but so far after about 7 hours of PC Portal 2 I have yet to see the loading screen saying not to turn off the console. Was it already patched or am I missing something? Maybe it's only for co-op since I haven't played co-op yet.

As far as loading screens/times goes you kids these days don't know how well you got it. Back in C64 days we easily waited 5-10 minutes watching big "EA" letters flash colors while a game loaded up. And then for a lot of the best games (Bard's tale, Ultimas) had to swap in floppies multiple times during gameplay.

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
19. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 12:04 Shok

I played it for 5+ hours last night and its one of the best PC games I've played in years. I have to admit I don't finish many PC games but the level detail, animation, sound effects, humor, and overall fun of Portal 2 will have me playing it till the last level.

Downrating a game on metacritic for petty reasons is childish. It's one thing if a game crashes a lot or has a bad design but to downrate because of the marketing campaign or because there are added features which you don't even have to use are in it is ridiculous.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 20, 2011, 08:31 Shok

nin wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 23:37:

You know, I've heard of that renderer for awhile now, but that's the first time I followed the link. My god...DX and UT both look outstanding.

There goes my weekend!

Thanks!

Re: UT online, I had an issue with an anti-cheating mod that downloaded from servers I was trying to connect to. I forget the name of the mod offhand but most servers have it. All I know is the latest d3d10 renderer version 23 didn't work but version 22 does so use that renderer if you want to play UT online. I thought it was slick how a game from 1999 auto-downloaded the anti-cheat mod and I didn't need to fuss with manually installing it. Also, I was running the GoG version of UT (v436) fyi.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 19, 2011, 23:18 Shok

I know I've never played anything from Epic that I thought was worth more than $20 out of the gate.

I agree except for two games. Unreal Tournament and the first Unreal I suppose. Back then everyone was ooohing and ahhing over graphics and the AI enemies [in Unreal] and how they rolled out of the way into cover. UT? I just played it this past weekend with the updated d3d10 renderer that's out there and it's still fun to play online or single player against bots.

833 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo