Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for KO

Real Name KO   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Shok
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2001, 15:27
Total Comments 773 (Graduate)
User ID 9616

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Battle.net Balance Coming
3. Re: Battle.net Balance Coming Dec 9, 2011, 22:41 Shok

Maybe I can use all these points up on my WoW Visa that I've accumulated over the past year or so that I haven't been playing WoW. I doubt it could work that way but that would be convenient.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week
7. Re: Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week Dec 9, 2011, 22:36 Shok

Imma go out on a limb and say this "DLC" was already done back before DNF shipped. It's like writing a 100 page letter to an inmate that was executed six months ago.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Absolute worst tech gifts Dec 8, 2011, 19:21 Shok

Beats by Dre....I still don't understand how these overpriced headphones are still on the market. Sheeple will buy anything these days.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 4, 2011, 13:45 Shok

I surf on it pretty regularly using Opera. I use silk once in a while but mostly I use Opera Mobile. Opera has a built in flashblocker and a bandwidth saver feature as well so it is pretty optimized for speed. Silk may have a way to turn off flash as well but I haven't checked. I guess I should have clarified...Opera browsing is fast  

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 4, 2011, 11:56 Shok

I'm getting my mom a tablet for xmas, and I'm torn between the Kindle Fire or a ~10" tablet. I'm going to convert her newspaper to digital delivery, and they just distribute it through their website as a PDF. There are a few potential problems I see with the Kindle. It doesn't have much available on-board storage, and it seems like it's not much use unless you have an Amazon Prime membership (I have one, but I don't want it tied to my account). She's kind of become a hoarder of newspapers lately. She either doesn't finish it or intends to cut something out and save it, so she ends up keeping the whole paper and never gets around to it. The smaller size might be easier to handle, but then it might be harder for her to read.

I didn't really research tablets before buying the Fire since they all seemed to be over $400 or so. I automatically didn't want one because of price. So far I don't regret buying it but it is a first generation gadget so I'm sure there will be refinements and such in subsequent tablets Amazon comes out with. The 7 inch screen is a little too small for reading PDF's normally since it requires you to read in landscape mode and then you only get to view about 33% of the page at once. So if that will be her main use then I think 10" is your best bet. The same goes for surfing the web as well; the 7" screen is too small unless you view in landscape. That being said, the Fire has very speedy hardware so PDF's and webpages render pretty fast.

1. Re: Gorilla Glass Dec 3, 2011, 18:54 Shok

gorilla glass is the shit:

This video pretty much speaks for itself, but here’s a recoup of what I tried:

scratching it with house keys – no effect at all, not even smallest dent
scratching it with a screwdriver – same as above. Kindle Fire looks as good as new
scratching it with office knife – same as above. Kindle Fire wins
drops in various positions from 3 feet onto stone floor – Kindle Fire wins and goes on playing the video
angled drop from 6 feet – Kindle Fire survives and keeps working
flat drop from 6 feet – internal LCD screen cracked so we can finally write this one off as broken. However there is still not a dent on the “gorilla glass”
pound on the screen with a screwdriver and a sharp tool – still not a single dent on the “gorilla glass”

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 2, 2011, 11:31 Shok

EA adds subscription service to Tetris app.

I thought it was April 1st for a second there.

Elite Tetris Fan Club (ROFL)

I guess EA is trying to shore up their finances since Lucas is taking all their profit from SWTOR....

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2011, 15:45 Shok

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 12:37:
Handheld consoles are basically dead. Pads will soon put them out of the market. Sony took too long to market the Vita. Anyone buying one should have their head examined.

No. Mame4droid runs like a dream on my Kindle Fire but I can't really play *any* of the games (from pac-man to Metal Slug to Galaga) because the touchscreen joystick is just annoying as hell. Real controller sticks and buttons just can't be replaced with a tablet touchscreen for some types of games.

News Comments > Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned?
18. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 14:28 Shok

/tinfoilhat
Adding multiplayer lets them justify always on DRM and stop the pirates!
/tinfoilhat

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Kindle Fire Nov 29, 2011, 11:59 Shok

I have a Kindle Fire and agree with Anand's review. It's not an ipad killer but it's the best hardware you can buy for $199. I have rooted mine and installed Opera Mobile and like it better than Amazon's silk browser. The free adobe reader app is also better than the built in pdf reader on the Fire. The first app I bought for it was Sketchbook mobile and it's a slick little app for sketching. This being my first tablet though I am jealous of the ipad sketching/painting app selection compared to android. In the end I have no regrets buying the Fire and like Anand I think amazon will be supporting the device with software improvements over time.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2011, 16:06 Shok

There are some decent cyber monday sales at the EA site...Battlefield3 is $30 and Batman:AC is $25...Origin included for free!  

News Comments > On Sale
24. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2011, 22:55 Shok

I bought Deadly Shadows when it was released and it's decent enough I guess even though I never finished it. It just wasn't like the original thief games to me as far as art style, etc. And the rope arrows were removed which was such a cool mechanic in the originals but I digress...  

News Comments > Skyrim and D3D Antilag
17. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 27, 2011, 22:50 Shok

I haven't experienced this "input lag" issue. There was a very crappy mouse sensitivity set out of the box though. And that was compounded by Bethesda hiding the adjustment to the setting under settings>gameplay>Look sensitivity where it probably should be under controls and named "mouse sensitivity" but whatever...  

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
57. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 24, 2011, 11:14 Shok

Just pulled the trigger on a new video card from Newegg's black friday sale, a Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 2GB which includes an Arkham City coupon. Only $180 after $40 rebate...  

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
49. Re: Skyrim Nov 24, 2011, 01:30 Shok

The cheapest I see Skyrim for is $52.99 at Amazon...supposedly all day Friday according to CAG  

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Distant Worlds – Legends
1. Matrix webpage usability FAIL Nov 24, 2011, 00:32 Shok

The webmaster for Matrix needs to learn how to provide links to a product and its expansions on each of said product pages. This new expansion requires the original game but nowhere on the expansion's product page is there a link to the original game! And the main game's webpage doesn't link to either of the expansions.

Anyway, I'm done wasting my time. There's not even a demo either.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2011, 13:10 Shok

I'm in the beta this weekend but doubt I will be able to play much since I'll be out of town. I'm gonna try to install it on my laptop, supposedly I can just copy the files to another drive and run from the directory like WoW....at least according to a reddit post I just googled. <grumbles about beta testing on a holiday weekend>  

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works
17. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works Nov 21, 2011, 23:20 Shok

I think Dades is right. All those Skyrim .exe's disconnected from the STEAM mothership is messing with the marketing metrics somewhere.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: WoW TV spot Nov 20, 2011, 20:41 Shok

Chuck Norris could have done a double promotion for WoW and Just for Men hair & beard coloring  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 20, 2011, 20:00 Shok

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 20, 2011, 19:48:
For shame, there are people out there who DON'T already own Sins of a Solar Empire!?

"Inconceivable!" - Vizzini (25th anniversary, The Princess Bride)

I never bought the Diplomacy expansion myself so I could see people buying the trilogy on STEAM as a justification to get it on STEAM and get Diplomacy...

I'm a cheapass and will wait until the inevitable STEAM sale at end of the year or next summer or whatever.

773 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo