Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Corey Nordin

Real Name Corey Nordin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Fox
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 10, 2001, 17:19
Total Comments 57 (Suspect)
User ID 9608

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing
43. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 18:50 The Fox

Give me steam over this crap any day ...

I looked at it today... read the part about "internet connection required", "Battlenet account required"... thought about all that ReadID I've heard a bit about. I put the game back on the shelf.

I don't tend to play multiplayer online.

It may be FUD, or it may not be... but it's easier for me to not buy it than it is to bother finding out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Real ID FAQ
8. Re: Blizzard Real ID FAQ Jul 17, 2010, 21:27 The Fox

I can remember when all I thought about before a purchase was "will this game be any good"?

Now that seems like the least of my concerns. I think more about:

- Will I be able to play this game whenever I want? Like when my internet connection is down, or when I am away from home for work for weeks at a time and there is no internet available to me or seriously intermittent. (I just experienced that in a hotel for a week.)

- Will I be able to play this game a few years from now (as I do with many of my older titles)?

- Is there horrendous DRM that will stop me from playing? (I have experienced several false positives in the past.)

- Is this game going to invade my privacy? If not now, will it in the future?

All of these things have caused me to drastically reduce my spending on games. I was a hardcore gamer, buying many games a year. Now, I rarely buy a game a year.

Sometimes I don't buy for a good reason. Other times it is just the uncertainty that stops me from buying. And I find little time to spend trying to find out for sure. I just pass on the game.

News Comments > Codemasters on DRM
14. Re: Codemasters on DRM Jul 16, 2010, 08:11 The Fox

They've been doing this for years, releasing unfinished games and patching later. Now they call patches DLC and charge you for it.

This is no good. If down the road I want to reinstall and can't download the DLC again? Same as any other online DRM that can keep you from playing your old games.

News Comments > GoG vs Goliath
29. Steam Jul 2, 2010, 20:52 The Fox

if you don't care that much about Steam's DRM (most don't)

I care... I'm in a hotel for the next two weeks, and the internet connection is flaky at the moment... would be nice to play a game, but at the moment, I can't get Steam to start in either Online or Offline mode at the moment, so I can't play any of the games in my Steam account. Yay!

Hate to be using something "more intrusive" than Steam... *sigh*

News Comments > Ubisoft Ubi.com Q&A
30. Steam is a nuissance... Ubisoft's plan is way worse! Jan 27, 2010, 20:01 The Fox

I have tolerated STEAM, since you can do the offline mode thing pretty much indefinitely. That being said, I had the urge to play Half Life 2 again while I was at work (I live at work for weeks at a time). I had it backed up on DVD. Had to get connected (although possible, not convenient at all at work) to install it. Got updates. Went to my cabin and when I tried to load it, it wouldn't. I had to get back to the internet and start it up there. After that, all was well for the rest of the time at work. But why should I have to jump through hoops like that to play something I paid for?

Ubisoft's plan is an order of magnitude worse!

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey Results
21. Upgrade cycle Sep 1, 2009, 13:42 The Fox

Getting married and buying a house has slowed my upgrade cycle a lot. I was always on or close to the bleeding edge. Now I have a laptop that is about 3.5-4 years old. Still looks half decent compared to the survey.
XPS M170 - Intel 2.4 GHz single core, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 7800 GTX Go. Win XP 32 bit.

Yeah, it's a little outdated, but still running fine for me for now.

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 Facts
14. Re: Command & Conquer 4 Facts Aug 26, 2009, 10:03 The Fox

For all the people that "whine" about the game changing, they need to re-release the original content, with an updated UI, updated models, higher resolution, modern OS support, etc. Add skirmish play to Tiberian Dawn.

I'd replay all of that. Tried with The First Decade, but the earlier games crashed on me a lot. Old UI is a pain when you're used to better.

News Comments > C&C4 Subtitle: Tiberian Twilight
4. Re: C&C4 Subtitle: Tiberian Twilight Aug 21, 2009, 12:23 The Fox

Tiberian Twilight = Sun going down on C&C?  

News Comments > X-Wing, TIE Fighter Teases
41. Re: X-Wing, TIE Fighter Teases Aug 5, 2009, 12:12 The Fox

New content wouldn't hurt, but if they did it right, I'd be happy with all the original missions. Upgraded at least to XWA standard.

Gotta be joystick.

In XW, it never told you that you failed until the mission was over. Sucks if it is a 20 minute mission and you failed in the first 2 minutes and didn't know it. Need to fix that like it was in the later games.

Here's hoping we won't be disappointed!!

>0<

|-o-|

News Comments > On C&C4 Persistence
22. Connection required = no sale Jul 15, 2009, 13:09 The Fox

I work at a remote location (no internet) for a month at a time, and after my day's work, that is when I do my gaming. I don't play as much when I am on my off-time at home. So anything requiring a connection will not be purchased by me, no matter how good it is. I know I am in the minority, but I'm still a lost customer.

I mostly play SP, rarely ever play MP.

News Comments > Mobilization
13. Re: Mobilization Jul 13, 2009, 22:14 The Fox

If she didn't see a gaping hole in the ground, then if the cones were in place, chances are she probably would have tripped over a cone and gone down the hole head first.  

News Comments > On Riddick DRM
70. DRM is just plain wrong Apr 16, 2009, 17:30 The Fox

42. Money talks, BS walks. All the bitching in the world doesn't speak near as loudly as NOT buying the product. Talk with your consumer dollars.

Sadly, when I chose to vote "nay" with my wallet, nobody even knows. They don't see "lost sale because of DRM". They see "our game sold poorly, damn pirates".

47. Who the heck cares if you have to activate it on-line.

I do. Who cares about air? Not too many, but those who suddenly find themselves without it start caring pretty fast.

if you have a computer capable of running a game like Bioshock, there is a 99.99999% chance you have internet access.

I have a great connection at home... but go to work for a month at a time where I have none. No way to activate/troubleshoot/etc. That's bad enough, but then having software decide not to work because it can't call home is extremely annoying.

48. I'll preempt someone's argument to this of "But what if Atari goes belly-up? Then you're screwed!" by stating that this is really,
really unlikely to happen anytime soon and is probably not worth even considering.

It's also really unlikely to win the lottery, but it does happen.
Most people don't get dragged away in the middle of the night with a bag over their head, either. But the low number, or because it isn't you (this time) doesn't mean it's okay.

Will you be playing this game in 10 years? Unlikely.

Arguably, many titles today aren't worth hanging onto. Also as some have pointed out, Atari has gone belly up before. Many companies close up shop. It's not unheard of. I still (re)play a lot of my old games.

Sure, there are hypothetical situations in which you wouldn't be able to play your purchase thanks to DRM, but the reality is that you'll never run into any of them, which is why I don't see why people should care so strongly about all this.

It has happened to me. I have had DVDs not play because of "DRM related reasons". They were store bought DVDs, 100% legit. The damn system refused to play them.

I was playing "Knights of the Old Republic", and out of the blue, it decided not to run. It cited having Daemon Tools on my computer as the reason why. First off, I can put whatever software I want on my computer. Second, I did not have Daemon Tools or any similar software on my computer. I didn't even know what it was at the time.

So just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others, or that it is acceptable when it does. Or that we don't have the right to be upset about it.

I play a lot of older games. Partly because many older titles are higher quality than the average release today. Partly because I dramatically slowed purchasing new games due to draconian DRM schemes.

Any company that thinks 3 activations is enough, obviously doesn't think that their game is very good.

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Patch, Movie
15. Shooters and Space sims Mar 30, 2009, 08:13 The Fox

Still think the original UT was the last great shooter... For me anyway... I put more time in on that one than any other shooter. Probably much more than all others combined.

Miss the X-Wing / TIE Fighter series a lot. I put in way too many hours on those titles as well. Not so much with multi-player, as I didn't have a decent net connection at the time. But I played the campaigns again and again, plus user made missions.

>o< |-o-|

News Comments > GOG for the Holidays
11. WC2 Dec 23, 2008, 14:43 The Fox

I'd love to see WARCRAFT II : TIDES OF DARKNESS and BEYOND THE DARK PORTAL.

Have not been overly successful getting the originals to run sound properly in DOSBOX. Would be worth it to get a new one that ran fine in XP.

News Comments > SecuROM Lawsuits Status
27. How can I be heard? Dec 3, 2008, 15:02 The Fox

I have had several problems over the years due to DRM. It has gotten so ridiculous lately. Was waiting for Red Alert 3 and GTA IV, but it looks like I won't be purchasing either of them.

The problem I have is, you always hear "vote with your wallet". Fair enough. But how can the publishers distinguish my "Nay" vote from an "Abstained" or no vote at all? If I choose not to buy it, they don't even know I exist. They'll probably say "Gee, sales are down again. Damn pirates!"

I want them to know that they lost my money, and my customer loyalty, over DRM that doesn't stop piracy anyway.

News Comments > Harvard's DRM Hacking Proposal
7. Encourages piracy IMHO Dec 3, 2008, 14:27 The Fox

I would even venture to say that DRM, especially in its more draconian forms, even encourages piracy.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Nobody wants Vista... Oct 22, 2008, 12:15 The Fox

Not even for free. *sigh*

News Comments > Gold - Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
27. DRM = no sale Oct 16, 2008, 08:53 The Fox

I have had problems with DRM in the past. I am not going to deal with it any more.

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Is this guy a former tax collector? hehe Sep 29, 2008, 06:08 The Fox

Get a piece of the action every time it is sold?!?
Who do they think they are, the Canadian government?!!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Populous rocked! Sep 9, 2008, 15:36 The Fox

Populous rocked!

57 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo