Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3800 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
28. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:56 Wowbagger_TIP

justice7 wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:33:
It took a while to get used to the idea that i'm not using a mouse, but the game was really designed to be played with the controller. The feedback, variable walk speed and menu's/ui all work better with the wireless 360 controller on PC.

So I'm getting the best of both worlds, PC Graphics/Modding with console controls on the tv/couch setup. Epic barely scratches the surface of how fun it is.
Ugh. There's no such thing as a FPS/TPS game where console controller is better. Thumb knobbies are horrible compared to mouse/kb precision. It's fine if that's what you like, but they certainly aren't better in any objective sense.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Website; Trailer
7. Re: Max Payne 3 Website; Trailer Feb 5, 2012, 02:20 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 02:13:
Rockstar's last few ports were significantly delayed and ended up being half-assed regardless, so I'm pretty sure the delays have nothing to do with quality.
This is pretty much all that needs to be said. Since when is quality a priority for Rockstar?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > On MechWarrior Online Role Warfare
9. Re: On MechWarrior Online Role Warfare Feb 2, 2012, 22:44 Wowbagger_TIP

InBlack wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 06:20:
I just read that and it closely resembles the gameplay roles and advancement with tanks in World of Tanks. Not a bad thing at all. However the Defense role is flawed from the outset, all mechs can and will defend (based on the situation on the battlefield, objectives etc. etc.).

They should replace defense with support, ie specialized long range mechs that take the form of artilliery. Ideally they should work in tandem with scouts, their weapons should have the ability to hone in on targets "lit up" by scout mechs.
I agree completely with this. That would make scouts actually useful, and add another layer of strategy and teamwork to the game.

News Comments > etc.
193. Re: etc. Feb 2, 2012, 02:41 Wowbagger_TIP

RailWizard wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 01:07:
Draugr wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 01:03:
RailWizard wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 22:44:
I should've clarified I was talking only about religion with regards to the 'argument'. My bad.

My comment about Majority similarly was about all religion, not just Christians, also more 'global' than just 'America'. Islam, for example, takes bit of a harsher view of homosexuals, as you are probably aware, but that was not my point. It was merely a comment of religion vs. no religion.

Sorry about that, when you said "democratic mantra" I took that to mean people living in democracies, specifically america. As you know the world as a whole isn't a democracy, and the majority doesn't always rule.
There are civil and human rights violations everywhere around the globe, to more than just homosexuals. It's almost a different discussion entirely due to all of the other factors concerned, religion only being one of them.

True, but tell that to the 'Arab spring' countries. They have the balls to take it back at least. Can't say that about America. Not yet, anyway.
To be fair, things were much much worse there for a long time before they managed to do that. People aren't going to be willing to risk being killed en masse without some really good reasons. Not to mention it'll take a very large number of people acting together to make that happen. Our so-called leaders are experts at dividing us for all sorts of ridiculous reasons. Most of it is simple misinformation anyway, but it serves its purpose, and the people end up fighting with each other rather than realizing that our political parties are just two sides of the same coin.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 1, 2012, 17:01 Wowbagger_TIP

I've been using FF for years now. It was definitely a pig for a while. Runs just fine now. I'm what you'd call a heavy user too. I routinely have 80+ tabs open. I freaking LOVE the Tree Style Tabs plugin. Makes things so much nicer. Since I have no performance issues, and since FF's plugin options are so much better than any other browser, I'll definitely be sticking with it for a while. I use about a dozen plugins that I just wouldn't want to go without, even if some other browser is slightly faster.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 1, 2012, 14:25 Wowbagger_TIP

yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 11:47:
Haha, I am just loving the comments in the forums.
"Omg those PC guys always get everything and Console gets nothing although everyone knows that console is best anyway and everyone plays on console blabla."

Riiight.

[edit]
Stuff like this almost borders on trolling.
Wow. That's the most retarded thing I've read today, and it's already after noon!

News Comments > etc.
161. Re: etc. Jan 31, 2012, 23:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 22:17:
Put as simply as it can be stated, the Westboro idiots are not Christians because they do not behave the way Christ is purported to have behaved in the Bible.
It was my understanding that Christians behave in an "un-Christian" manner quite often without being ex-communicated or whatever their particular branch of the religion calls it. At what point do they cease to be Christians in name? Again we come to the need to draw a line somewhere.

Prez wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 23:00:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 22:40:
So what do you think about Mormons? Are they not Christians? Who decides if they are or if they aren't? The Pope? Isn't he the anti-christ?

I understand the point your making but there is no authority behind "Christian". Do you think The Bible, with its multiple books, authors, revisions, translations, and interpretations, can be definitive?

Well a Christian would tell you the "authority" is Christ himself, but since he hasn't been around in 2000 + years (historically speaking there seems to be little doubt that a man by that name did exist around 33 A.D.)

Probably many, actually. The translations are all over the place.

They are the common thread among all branches of Christianity from 7th Day Adventist to Jehovah's Witness. Though they vary wildly in other aeas, this seems pretty constant.

More important (or at least more pertinent to the original topic) is what Christians believe their Biblically-mandated duty to oppose homosexuality actaully entails. All it really ends up being is voting 'no' on gay marriage referendums and electing officials who will vote against gay marriage legislation in Congress at the State and Federal level. Truth be told, many I have talked to are willing to allow homosexual unions that are afforded the same recognition and benefits that hetero marriages currently have as long as the word "marriage" remains defined as being between a man and a woman. This stems from their belief that "holy matrimony" is a blessed sacrament given to man by God and to allow same-sex marriages would be a perversion of a divine gift.
Except Christians didn't invent marriage, and our Constitution forbids the government from giving preferential treatment to any religion, so there's no reason they should have any say at all, based on their religious beliefs, in who gets married or what other people call their union. It's simply arrogance and intolerance that compel them to try to dictate whom others may or may not form a union with, or what they may call it. Doesn't seem very Christian to me.

All in all, I really don't think any of that, while a bit goofy, should qualify them for most of the scorn and ridicule they constantly endure. It certainly doesn't put them in the same class as goddamn Shariah Law barbarians or terrorists.
Interfering with the rights and privileges of gay people, and ensuring that they will not be allowed to have a union equal to that of heterosexuals is certainly worthy of scorn and ridicule. We're talking about people's lives here. People are being denied benefits that any other spouse would receive. People are being denied the right to be at the bedside of their partner in a hospital or to help make those important medical decisions because they aren't "married" in the sense that the government actually values. The list goes on and on. It's ridiculous, it's unfair, and it certainly isn't Christian by any definition you've given here.

News Comments > etc.
151. Re: etc. Jan 31, 2012, 21:29 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 21:24:
Bhruic wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 16:57:
However you want to rationalize your superiority complex is okay. It doesn't really change anything.

Really? That's what you come back with? Well, if you want to be tolerant of those who throw girls back into burning buildings because they tried to flee without a male "chaperone", those who stone women for being raped, those who throw acid into women's faces for daring to get an education, be my guest. If not respecting such bullshit means I have a "superiority complex", then I'm damn proud to have one.

Your argument descended to the ridiculous when you drew a moral equivalence between terrorist bombers and Christians following what the Bible teaches. I didn't fall for the obvious bait, so you try to take it further. It's still not working, so I wonder what goofy argument you'll pull out next. I'd almost think you were trolling if I didn't know it is just in your nature to be this condescending.

He's not trying to draw that comparison with regard to their actions, he's just trying to illustrate that not all beliefs are worthy of respect, however earnestly you may believe them. Often extreme examples are used to show that a line must actually exist, and it's then just a matter of determining where it should be drawn.

News Comments > etc.
150. Re: etc. Jan 31, 2012, 21:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Bhruic wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 21:00:
Can't prove a negative? Oh you mean the lack of evidence, right? So You think this big thing we are in, that we call the universe, isn't evidence?

It's evidence that the universe exists. It's not evidence of some entity creating it.

You don't know that. THAT is my point. You seem to get this to a degree, but you still deny it. That's fine, but don't act like you've finally nailed the case, because you are far from that.

I haven't denied it at all. I don't know if there is or isn't a "god". I'm not going to believe there is one, however, unless someone can give good evidence for the existence of such a being.

Actually, fuck that last paragraph, here's a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

The first line from that page:

Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.

Yes, I'm aware of the definition. That's why I used it correctly. Someone (like myself for example) can be an agnostic atheist. That would mean they don't know if there's a "god", but they don't believe there is one. Someone could be a gnostic atheist, and believe that they know for certain there is not a god. Someone could be a gnostic theist, and think there's certainly a god, or someone could be an agnostic theist, and not know for certain there's a god, but believe there is one regardless.

Claiming to be an agnostic doesn't remove you from the debate over atheism vs theism, it just means you aren't claiming certain knowledge. Do you believe there is a god? If so, you are a theist. Do you not believe there is a god? Then you're an atheist. It's belief that determines, not knowledge.

I'm pretty sure you're wasting your energy here. Anyone with any inclination at all to be honest about this subject could find all of this out in about 5 minutes if they actually wanted to. He seems to be more interested in defending his beliefs, however irrational and baseless they may be, rather than engaging in an actual debate or discussion where you must accept that you may be wrong or at least not fully informed about some things. Unfortunately that's all too common in just about all discourse we're subjected to these days.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 16:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Zarkonis wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 14:11:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 11:57:
There's some interesting facts in the article on pirates and the studios, but overall he doesn't really make much of a case. There's certainly a case to be made, but he doesn't seem to understand how to make it. Pointing at things that Thomas Edison did is not an indictment of the current studios unless you can draw the necessary parallels to what is being done today. He didn't do that well at all.

I dunno, I thought he made his case rather well. Did you even read the article? Or just the tl;dr version?
I read most of it, although I did start skimming towards the end. Like I said though, the Edison comparison is extremely tenuous here, and while he keeps trying to make the comparison, he's just not doing it very well. His defense of Kim makes some good points. Is the guy likely to be railroaded? Sure. I don't think any of us believe that the MPAA is not a pack of lying, ruthless assholes that will do whatever they have to do to take down anyone they see as a threat. But he goes overboard in his defense with things like this:

Kim Dotcom’s bail application was turned down Wednesday and Matthias Ortmann’s bail application is expected to be heard Friday, Feb. 3 (it has been postponed once).

Hmmm, which ones have cut the deal, I wonder?

And it will be interesting to see which company employee provided the insider e-mails that the U.S. government is using (selectively and out of context) to help make its case.

He says this as if it's different than any other case out there. Of course they're selective in choosing evidence to present. So is the defense. This is just pointless.

Then there's this:
His criminal record? Actually he has no criminal record. Really.

Kim Schmitz was convicted of computer hacking in Germany in 1998, fined and given a suspended sentence. In 2002, he was convicted of insider trading, fined and placed on probation.

He has never been convicted of a criminal act anywhere else in the world.
That makes no sense. He says he has no criminal record, and then goes on to explain his two felony convictions. Not really doing him a favor there.

Overall it just seems like he's pissed off about the whole situation and venting. The article is overly long and rambling, and could use some serious editing.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 11:57 Wowbagger_TIP

There's some interesting facts in the article on pirates and the studios, but overall he doesn't really make much of a case. There's certainly a case to be made, but he doesn't seem to understand how to make it. Pointing at things that Thomas Edison did is not an indictment of the current studios unless you can draw the necessary parallels to what is being done today. He didn't do that well at all.  

News Comments > etc.
129. Re: etc. Jan 30, 2012, 23:37 Wowbagger_TIP

commonperson wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 22:40:
RailWizard wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 22:35:
Wooo! Are we having fun yet? Cuz DAMN not one single person here has presented an argument worthy of debate. Is there none up to the challenge? Surely you can do better....

You still haven't illustrated any proof of a gay gene to allow for your gene therapy thing to work out. So I'm waiting, once you actually back some stuff up with facts then it's worthy of discussion. :-)
It's far past time to start ignoring him. He's already demonstrated that he has no desire to have a real discussion, and he casually disregards any argument he doesn't want to consider. There's really no point in it. He's either trolling, or just too far up his own ass for anything we say to get through to him. Time to let it go and not be baited by the ridiculous things he says.

News Comments > etc.
122. Re: etc. Jan 30, 2012, 17:52 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 17:21:
There will always be perversions of the message, be it religion or anything else.

I'm speaking as someone who was raised in a Christian family, has attended many different churches in many different parts of the US, and is currently married to a Christian (who is decidedly un-hateful.) And given that the basic tenets of Christianity remain constant across the different religions (not sure where the "disparate beliefs" inference is coming from), I think it's fairly easy to make the statement I made.

I was a Christian for a large part of my adult life before I denounced all religion, and I can tell you that hate is not something true Christians partake in. Hate is the very antithesis of Christianity. Like most all religions, however, Christianity is indeed rife with intolerance for what it considers "sinful" behavior.
When it comes to religions as large as Christianity, there are so many disagreements about the message that you can't even know for sure what the message actually is. There's no "pure" form of Christianity, and even if there was, there are no pure Christians to practice it. Everyone has all sort of baggage and all the variations of a religion carve out their own rationalizations for their actions and their own exceptions to the rules.

I can't even figure out what the actual "threat" is to the "sanctity" of marriage that they're so worried about. If gay people get married, does that somehow ruin other people's marriages? If a gay person is allowed to visit their spouse in the hospital or is able to get death/disability benefits if their spouse becomes disabled or dies, is this going to hurt straight people? How exactly do they believe that marriage is going to be destroyed?

As far as I'm concerned, the government should not be involved in marriage at all. Right now there are over 1,000 rights and benefits accorded to married people by the government that you don't get if you're just in a civil union. Government should give everyone the same rights and benefits and people can call their union whatever they want. They can get married in a church or on a website. I don't really care. I just don't think that we should be letting religion dictate who gets what rights and benefits from the government.

News Comments > etc.
69. Re: etc. Jan 29, 2012, 15:14 Wowbagger_TIP

Acleacius wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 13:54:
Funny thing about this thread both sides are throwing around "born that way" or "gene therapy" with out any apparent evidence for either side.

I remember back in 1998 or so a scientist released a study saying he had found a "gay gene". Then every single study that tried to duplicated it failed and they called him out for it. He said something like "I knew no one would be able to duplicate it, just wanted to bring attention to it". Turns out he was not only a scientist but a gay one and apparently by his own words a liar too.

None of it matters, since apparently the only people who care one way or another are extremists christians like robbins who are looking to make a buck on their uneducated followers and gays who apparently need a reason to be gay, other than just choosing to be.
Implying that it's a choice is also assuming facts not in evidence. The only reason this discussion started was because one obvious troll, and another less obvious troll kicked it off claiming that this was some sort of "reverse discrimination" type situation since straight people don't advertise straight clans/guilds. I already addressed that point in an earlier post. The rest is just noise.

News Comments > etc.
67. Re: they are all over the place Jan 29, 2012, 13:35 Wowbagger_TIP

TangledThorns wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 11:43:
commonperson wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 11:34:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 11:19:

What would be super awesome is to have a cadre of elite gay gamers go up against some of these people spouting hate. I'd love to watch the gay gamers own them but that's just an aside.

Thats fine but its not hate. You must think I hate people in a wheelchair too, right? I have compassion and sympathy for those that are unable to have children as easily as a heterosexual can.

Learn how to use the quotes properly.

News Comments > etc.
58. Re: they are all over the place Jan 29, 2012, 11:19 Wowbagger_TIP

RailWizard wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 02:41:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 00:37:
RailWizard wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 23:14:
space captain wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 23:10:
RailWizard wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 23:01:
Buhbye.

are you going back to the crack den for another fix?

i bet you cant wait to wrap your lips around your own personal jesus

Keep it up. Blue will either enforce the rules or erase them. Either way, I win.
If he does enforce the rules, I hope he'll be deleting your trolling posts as well. Along with TangledThorns' hamfisted troll post too, of course. That guy really needs to refine his trolling.

Yeah, except I'm not trolling. I mean what I say. You will also note how I have not resorted to pre-school level insults and labeling to make my points. Yet I'm the troll with mental defects etc. etc...hilarious.
A decent troll doesn't resort to insults, although you have since done so as well. Guess you couldn't help yourself.

You're not making a strong argument at all. Gay clans/guilds are advertised because it lets gay people know where they can go to play with others that aren't going to bash them for their sexual preference. Anyone who's played online for more than a few hours knows that the Internet is rife with homophobia, and you'll hear more anti-gay slurs than anything else usually. I don't see any problem with them looking for a group to play with where they don't have to deal with that.

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: they are all over the place Jan 29, 2012, 00:37 Wowbagger_TIP

RailWizard wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 23:14:
space captain wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 23:10:
RailWizard wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 23:01:
Buhbye.

are you going back to the crack den for another fix?

i bet you cant wait to wrap your lips around your own personal jesus

Keep it up. Blue will either enforce the rules or erase them. Either way, I win.
If he does enforce the rules, I hope he'll be deleting your trolling posts as well. Along with TangledThorns' hamfisted troll post too, of course. That guy really needs to refine his trolling.

News Comments > Evochron Mercenary Patch & New Demo
7. Re: Evochron Mercenary Patch & New Demo Jan 27, 2012, 23:44 Wowbagger_TIP

Squirmer wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 20:23:
nin wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 14:24:

Wonder why steam doesn't have the demo...

The demo is actually the full game but time limited. That might not work too well with Steam.
Seems like it should be able to. Steam always knows how long I've played any particular game.

News Comments > THQ Refocuses - Open Letter
95. Re: THQ Refocuses - Open Letter Jan 27, 2012, 10:23 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 08:39:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 19:20:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 18:59:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 18:11:
We need to make government smarter and less wasteful. Obama is calling for consolidation of several agencies now, and that's at least a start. I think some of Ron Paul's ideas in this area are good too. The stuff I've heard from the other candidates? Mostly garbage.
RP's too much of a isolationist. But we do agree here, smaller, smarter and less wasteful would be the way to go. Though to be honest I don't trust Obama as far as I can throw him. For all his "Hope and Change" rhetoric. he's just another corrupt full of shit politician that will say anything to try to gain votes. The fact that he throws hissy fits when he doesn't get his way and tries to circumvent congress often makes me dislike him even more.
Yes, but most people that don't like Obama doing that would support someone on "their side" doing it because it means they're standing up to Congress and fighting for what they said they would do. Congress passed the bill to create the agency that Obama is trying to staff. Congress thought they could get away with creating it to get the rabble to shut up and then smother it later. This is actually him doing exactly what he said he would do, and Congress has just been playing bullshit games as they always do, no matter who is in charge. Pretending to be in session when they obviously aren't is just a load of crap. Wonder how long I'd last if I just showed up for work, said hi, and walked back out.

When Bush tried to appoint people and failed, he backed off. He didn't pull a hissy fit like Obama has EVERY TIME things don't go his way. Be honest about it. Obama still could have waited the manditory 3 days to try to appoint them.

Name me one time during his entire presidency that he's taken responsibility for issues rather than blame Bush, the GOP, or the rest of us for not "understanding his vision"
Mandatory? I think the word you're looking for is "customary", as there is nothing mandatory about it, and that wouldn't have mattered anyway since they kept doing those stupid pro-forma sessions where they pretend to be in session when they really aren't. It's about time that shit stops anyway. Oh, and btw, Bush didn't back off all the time either. He appointed Bolton after all, even though Congress wouldn't approve him.

As for the "hissy fit" thing, that's garbage and you know it. You only call it that because you don't like the guy. When someone you like stands up to Congress or whoever else, you applaud. It's all semantics.

News Comments > CA Reimbursements to ESA Grow
3. Re: Ca Reimbursements to ESA Grow Jan 27, 2012, 01:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 23:07:
Maybe now they won't be so quick to jump on the anti-gaming bandwagon.
I wouldn't hold my breath...

3800 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 49.
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo