Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3859 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Auctions Detailed
69. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 13:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerusahat wrote on May 2, 2012, 12:46:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 2, 2012, 05:05:
Jerusahat wrote on May 1, 2012, 22:34:
Every player can have the same unique item. "Unique" means that it can only drop once per playthrough for you, and if you already possess it, it won't drop again.

What? Where exactly did you read/hear this? Uniques from Diablo 2, are now "Legendaries" in Diablo 3, and there is no limit to how many times they can drop in a playthrough, although the odds are of course slim. Even in D2, the same 'unique' could drop several times in one game. It was an erroneous term at best, that's why it's changed now. Also, accursed WoW influence.

I'll refer you to my previous post, where I linked to a Bashiok post where he stated that D2 uniques only dropped once per-game, and that they're called Legendaries now. If you have a source for the change to drop chance, post it.

I wonder how rare a Legendary item will be in D3. In the Path of Exile beta it took me 120 levels across three characters before I found my first unique. That shit is rare.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Wizard Trailer
2. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 10:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Wait... how come she wasn't wielding axes and wearing full-plate armor?? I have no idea what a wizard is supposed to use in this game. In the beta there was hardly any equipment for her, but she could apparently use practically any weapon or armor with almost no limitations. Weird.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
33. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2012, 10:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on May 1, 2012, 08:03:
Dev wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 22:14:
Beamer wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 21:33:
Dev wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 20:53:
Guess who is the guy who appointed like a dozen ex **AA people and lawyers into the DoJ? I'll give you a hint, his name starts with Oba

Having some makes sense, as it's good to have all view points at least mentioned, and these guys are the ones that know the intricacies best.
Are you defending that? That's a pretty specious argument for this situation.

I'll agree that its good to have all viewpoints, so show me the dozen guys from places like EFF that he appointed as well.

I'm defending some. Like, 1. And others that know the viewpoints but are open minded. Just because someone was an attorney for the RIAA doesn't make him an automatic company-loving dickhead. But, from what I've seen, those doing hiring don't do a great job sorting those out.

But it's good to have some. Why do companies that run ads hire their ad managers from the companies they sell to? Because those are the people that know that industry best and can come up with the best solutions for them. It's not uncommon to see people go from P&G to the P&G account at Facebook or Microsoft. There's no fear that they'll be too nice or too soft or too lenient on their old company, because they hire people that are industry people, not company people.
The **AAs are industry groups though. It's not the same thing.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete
28. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 20:31 Wowbagger_TIP

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 17:30:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 17:18:
That's why Kickstarter is interesting to me - not only is it a disruptive technology, it's allowing for all kinds of grand experiments.
It sounds like you're treating games like some high concept art project. I'm simply looking for a return to decent gameplay driven titles. I don't see KS as a build-up or a first step towards something "bigger". We've seen where "bigger" leads. Bigger means wide appeal and simpler titles with graphic styles and gameplay that appeal to the masses. From what I've seen the KS titles are driven by old gamers, the sorts of people current COD only playing "modern gamers" would dismiss as nerds. These people created the titles I grew up with, it's very clear to me what they aim to produce. Good new titles. My expectations begin and end with the result of these games. Hopefully they'll turn out decent.
When you think of bigger, I think you're still getting trapped in the binary choice he was referring to. It's not a choice between a game created to satisfy the 30-50K people that funded it and a game that must sell 5 million copies to be a success. There is a LOT of middle ground in there. If the game does well and they do a Shadowrun Returns 2, they could maybe raise twice the money and create a game with more depth and more content. Maybe they actually implement a matrix interface rather than just giving deckers the ability to manipulate the world via their own "magic" ways. There are all kinds of possibilities out there.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Community Patch
11. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 02:17 Wowbagger_TIP

If the combat in Risen 2 is the same as the first then I'll pass. I found it repetitious and boring, making the whole game just feel tedious. I quit halfway through.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 28, 2012, 13:08 Wowbagger_TIP

Let me know once they have Middle Earth Street View ready to go  

News Comments > TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow
15. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 28, 2012, 01:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Jivaro wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 22:32:
Casters in combat and 50gb install: Its a 11gb download and a 26gb install. Larger then most MMOs today, but not by much. Casters can cast spells while in motion, just not all of them. Some you can, some you can't. Generally speaking, it is fair to say that you ca't most of the time. They make up for this by having very quick cooldowns and cast times for most spells. As for the "glorified cannon" analogy...well....yeah....is that not the case for most MMOS? The mages, sorcerers, warlocks, priests, etc are glass cannons the vast majority of the time. Also, to say that a melee character can move while they are attacking is not completely accurate. They can some of the time, some of the time they can't, and yet other times they move as part of the attack animation.

If it still doesn't sound like your cup of tea, cool, I just thought you would want a more accurate description.
Appreciate the clarifications. I did see several reports of the install taking literally days to download. I actually started the download and let it run overnight. It was barely over 10% the next morning.

As for the caster thing, yes it does sound pretty similar to most MMOs, which is why I was kind of disappointed. I'm looking for something different than most MMOs because I don't really enjoy the typical combat in them. Sounds like this one might be a bit different, but not much. Maybe I'll check back later and see if anything is different.

News Comments > TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow
8. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 21:23 Wowbagger_TIP

I read that spellcasters can't move while they're attacking, unlike melee fighters. This essentially turns them into glorified turrets. That sounds kind like a typical EQ/WoW model of combat, perhaps with aiming involved though. I dunno.. that along with the ridiculously huge 50GB install that takes forever made me not wanna try it.  

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
232. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 23:20 Wowbagger_TIP

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:21:
Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:04:
The same is not true of D3. If you make a private game, it's private. No other player can join you. You aren't sharing a world with anyone else. It is, in all sense of the word, a purely singleplayer experience.

As for developers saying things, I'd simply point out that the developers of Mass Effect 3 told us how the ending was going to be based on the choices that players had made in the game. In other words, developers can be wrong.

I think they would know if they developed it as a multiplayer game or not.

Anyway I never said the comparison was perfect, it was an analogy. The point is this game was designed as multiplayer, the online requirement is there to enforce that, I don't see how you could say otherwise. If you want another example perhaps a private FPS match against bots? Or playing Guild Wars solo with hired companions?

In any event design decisions they made have turned off many singleplayer gamers, myself included, and nothing you say changes that.
If they wanted to make it multiplayer, they certainly could have done so. I can't play Tribes Ascend solo. It wasn't designed as a solo game. D3 certainly was, as evidenced by the fact that they allow you to play solo through the whole game if you want. They do nothing to make you interact with others. Others might as well not even exist. But they still force you to have an internet connection the whole time for no apparent reason. They can say it's a multiplayer-only game all they want, it doesn't make it so.

News Comments > MechWarrior Tactics Gameplay Trailer
1. Re: MechWarrior Tactics Gameplay Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 22:27 Wowbagger_TIP

Looks pretty cool. I like the dynamic lighting. I'm excited about both this and Mechwarrior Online. Finally getting some mech games again.  

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 25, 2012, 15:56 Wowbagger_TIP

jimnms wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:01:
CommunistHamster wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:41:
I use the "drag favicon onto bookmark toolbar" approach to bookmarking, so I am upset about this.
If I'm bookmarking something on the toolbar I always drag the tab onto the toolbar. If I'm bookmarking it to a specific place, I just click the bookmark star and file it where i want it.

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:47:
Just drag the site icon (to the left of the url) instead
The icon to the left of the URL is the favicon.
My mistake. Thought the star was the favicon. Guess I'm not up on their terminology. Anyway, it won't bother me as long as it's still on the tabs. Should still be dead simple to bookmark something. I usually just click the star icon anyway.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 25, 2012, 10:47 Wowbagger_TIP

CommunistHamster wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:41:
I use the "drag favicon onto bookmark toolbar" approach to bookmarking, so I am upset about this.
Just drag the site icon (to the left of the url) instead, or just right-click->Bookmark.

Besides, I'm sure there will be some add-on available any minute now that puts it back for those that can't live without it. Add-ons are probably the best thing about FF.

213. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 14:52 Wowbagger_TIP

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 13:28:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 12:05:
Verno wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 11:51:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 10:53:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 15:20:
I'd be willing to bet they have server que's day one for people just wanting to play single player. That seems to be the Blizzard way.

The thing people need to understand is that this game has no singleplayer mode. You can solo WoW to the level cap but it is still not a singleplayer game. Same here.

That argument has been debunked several times. Few of the social features nor the gameplay world require a persistent connection. The world itself isn't even persistent like WoW. It's strictly protection features that underpin the game - things like the AI and item generation are all handled server side. It's understandable design choice given their RMAH stuff but likewise it's quite understandable for people criticize their choices. Particularly people who frequently travel or are in organizations like the military.

They didn't want to underwrite offline functionality so they can take their licks for any release day woes that happen, fair is fair.
And as it's been pointed out before, there's absolutely no reason they couldn't have an offline version where your characters are never permitted to go online. That would solve the cheating issues by that avenue and give offline gamers what they want. They chose not to do that, so that will cost them some sales from those folks that can't play online.

I agree with both of you, they could have easily done that, but they didn't and the game as it is is not singleplayer.

Which, along with the rather simplified and mediocre gameplay, is why I'm not buying it.

211. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 12:05 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 11:51:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 10:53:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 15:20:
I'd be willing to bet they have server que's day one for people just wanting to play single player. That seems to be the Blizzard way.

The thing people need to understand is that this game has no singleplayer mode. You can solo WoW to the level cap but it is still not a singleplayer game. Same here.

That argument has been debunked several times. Few of the social features nor the gameplay world require a persistent connection. The world itself isn't even persistent like WoW. It's strictly protection features that underpin the game - things like the AI and item generation are all handled server side. It's understandable design choice given their RMAH stuff but likewise it's quite understandable for people criticize their choices. Particularly people who frequently travel or are in organizations like the military.

They didn't want to underwrite offline functionality so they can take their licks for any release day woes that happen, fair is fair.
And as it's been pointed out before, there's absolutely no reason they couldn't have an offline version where your characters are never permitted to go online. That would solve the cheating issues by that avenue and give offline gamers what they want. They chose not to do that, so that will cost them some sales from those folks that can't play online.

News Comments > Morning Previews
6. Re: Morning Previews Apr 24, 2012, 00:17 Wowbagger_TIP

Teddy wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 20:00:
Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 17:55:
I've been dabbling with Tera lately and it's quite nice.

Tera was alright, but nothing revolutionary from what I saw. The melee combat made decent use of their "active combat" claim with plenty of dodging and maneuvering, but as soon as I swapped to a sorcerer, "active combat" was a joke. All the spells stopped me dead in my tracks to use, even my basic attack so it was stand in one place fire at the enemy until he got too close, click the auto jump backwards button, repeat. Pretty dull stuff.
The kind of thing you're talking about here, along with the fact that it's like a 50GB download that takes days according to many reports, means I'm gonna pass on this one too.

192. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 11:26 Wowbagger_TIP

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 10:31:
For D3, nope! I will wait!

Yep, totally agree. My buds and I will be purchasing GW2 today and play the Beta this weekend and start heading down that path. By the time we are done with that, Torchlight 2 should be ready.

None of us are really very impressed by D3.
What's the criteria for getting into the GW2 free weekend? Is it for pre-order or pre-purchase? Pre-order I could live with, since I can always cancel. Pre-purchase isn't going to happen.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 23, 2012, 02:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 01:12:
I hope the first DLC/expansion for Skyrim is coming quickly. It's been almost six fucking months!

Creston

Me too. I'm about ready to play through again. Need to start scoping out the mods pretty soon.

180. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 02:14 Wowbagger_TIP

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 01:51:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 01:24:
Dades wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 00:19:
The problem with the rune system is that they came up with them a long time ago but didn't patch them in until beta 13. The game launches next month which hasn't really given them a lot of time to make the system deep and interesting. Right now most of the rune activations are either very situational or have an obvious upgrade path. The user interface for both it and the skill system is very clumsy and a big indicator of the problem that they tried to go back to the drawing board too close to release. It will change drastically and in fact already has a few times which makes defending their implementation a moot point.

Skill trees in Diablo 2 had some problems but eventually got patched into a very interesting mix of free form customization while still retaining synergies for people who wanted a linear path.
Well maybe I'll check back in six months to a year and see if it's any better. Right now, there's Torchlight 2 on the horizon, Path of Exile which has more interesting character progression options, and others like Krater and Grim Dawn, and maybe even GW2 if it doesn't suck. I think I'll wait and see how those turn out. At least they seem to be trying something more interesting. Doubt they'll take 10 years to do it too.

Someone mentioned C9, now that is the one. Fun game.
Isn't that a Korean MMORPG? Is there even an english version?

176. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 01:24 Wowbagger_TIP

Dades wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 00:19:
The problem with the rune system is that they came up with them a long time ago but didn't patch them in until beta 13. The game launches next month which hasn't really given them a lot of time to make the system deep and interesting. Right now most of the rune activations are either very situational or have an obvious upgrade path. The user interface for both it and the skill system is very clumsy and a big indicator of the problem that they tried to go back to the drawing board too close to release. It will change drastically and in fact already has a few times which makes defending their implementation a moot point.

Skill trees in Diablo 2 had some problems but eventually got patched into a very interesting mix of free form customization while still retaining synergies for people who wanted a linear path.
Well maybe I'll check back in six months to a year and see if it's any better. Right now, there's Torchlight 2 on the horizon, Path of Exile which has more interesting character progression options, and others like Krater and Grim Dawn, and maybe even GW2 if it doesn't suck. I think I'll wait and see how those turn out. At least they seem to be trying something more interesting. Doubt they'll take 10 years to do it too.

173. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 00:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Having gone back and played most of the way through with both Demon Hunter and Barbarian, I find that my opinion pretty much remains the same. The game is just rather boring to me. They've taken away the ability to build a character in the way that you want, and just made all characters of a class the same. I want more choices, not less. I want more customization options, not less. While the combat feels about right, the game around it seems to have regressed.

Also kind of funny that Demon Hunter is so limited in weapons while the wizard can run around with swords and axes and stuff.

If gems are available, that will help somewhat, but it's still pretty flimsy. I'm sticking with my assessment. It's a mediocre game. I'll wait for the other games in the genre to come out and see what they have to offer. Can't justify 50-60 bucks for this. This would be a Steam sale game for me if it was actually sold that way. $20-$30 tops.

Sigh Ten years for this? Seriously?

3859 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo