Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3805 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached
32. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 6, 2012, 13:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 12:55:
Disagreed. Plenty of developers have bounced back from projects that are bad. In fact, most developers start exclusively by doing bad projects; so long as those projects make some money then they can continue building towards good projects. But if the projects lose money then the developer fails.
Having the potential to bounce back isn't the same as being isolated from the risk. The risk remains, and while it may not be a death sentence to the developer, it can still have a major impact.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 6, 2012, 12:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 10:32:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 09:29:
Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 08:32:
What's most interesting is that these guys are guaranteeing they break even before they make the game, so there is 0 risk for the developer for the individual project.
0 risk.

All risk is instead shifted to the consumer. That's right, the publisher gets to make a free game, and if it does well he gets to take his cut. But the consumer does not get a cut of profits, at best he gets a game he wants, which he would probably get without risking $10 on something not yet made and loosely sketched out in something designed to take his money.
I wouldn't say 0 risk. If they don't deliver at least close to the expected game, then they've shot themselves in the foot and aren't likely to get funded again. That seems like a risk to me, and a pretty significant one if they actually want to be able to work this way in the future.

That's why I said "for the individual project." Yeah, there's risk for the developer as a whole, but that risk is always there.

Also, the spirit of kickstarter is to kickstart a business, so ideally people wouldn't be returning to that well again, or would expect less each time. I doubt that would happen, though, and businesses will keep kickstarting projects.
Yes, but since you can't isolate the risk of the project from the developer, it's kind of meaningless to say that.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

21. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 6, 2012, 09:29 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 08:32:
What's most interesting is that these guys are guaranteeing they break even before they make the game, so there is 0 risk for the developer for the individual project.
0 risk.

All risk is instead shifted to the consumer. That's right, the publisher gets to make a free game, and if it does well he gets to take his cut. But the consumer does not get a cut of profits, at best he gets a game he wants, which he would probably get without risking $10 on something not yet made and loosely sketched out in something designed to take his money.
I wouldn't say 0 risk. If they don't deliver at least close to the expected game, then they've shot themselves in the foot and aren't likely to get funded again. That seems like a risk to me, and a pretty significant one if they actually want to be able to work this way in the future.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter
56. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 22:53 Wowbagger_TIP

entr0py wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 22:07:
Prez wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 20:01:
A 2D Shadowrun with classic PC-style gameplay? Oh yeah, I'm down with that.

Unfortunately they've got the limitation of accommodating the laggy jab-and-smear controls of tablets. So the gameplay can't require either precision or reflexes. But I guess a really old school turn-based RPG would work.
According to the kickstarter page, it's supposed to be turn-based. I really hope they do this right. If they do, then you could be doing things like coordinating the actions of your decker in the Matrix with maybe a shaman or mage in astral form, and drones run by your rigger, all helping your team to pull off its mission. It could be fucking awesome if they do it right!

51. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 21:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Of all the kickstarters I've been hoping for, this is probably the one that I've wanted more than any other. Judging from the people involved, they have a great group that actually cares about the SR universe rather than just wanting to exploit the IP. I just hope they can create a fun game out of it. I'm more than willing to support the effort though. Thinking of upping my donation now. Excited  

8. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 11:19 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm a big fan of the SR universe. It begs for games to be made, but all we've gotten in the past decade was that piece of crap from Microsoft. The amount they're looking for isn't very ambitious, and I'm not sure if this is going to be the game I want to see, but it sounds like it's going in the right direction, and anything that might possibly revive interest in the SR universe would be a good thing, IMO. I'm in for $60.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2012, 01:03 Wowbagger_TIP

killer_roach wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 23:28:
Dades wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 21:51:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 21:43:
Where your argument falls down is that you're assuming that, all things being equal, prices would have stayed in the $50-60 range otherwise. Considering the increase of costs in the industry, that seems highly unlikely.

Prices have stayed where they are because the market has grown significantly, not because big publishers are so nice to us. Let's embrace the alarmist view and say that without the publishers then prices would rise, so what? I would welcome paying more quality products and less for ones that don't merit the cost. People say the quality games are subsidized by the mass market titles but the publishers don't care to do that anymore. Everything has to move a few million units or there likely will not be a follow up at all.

Hate to say it, but whether you think it's the case or not, these major publishers stay in business because they ARE being nice to their customers. If not, they don't buy from them, and they go out of business. They have to maximize profits as well, yes, but without giving the customers at least their money's worth (if not more) on a consistent basis, they don't stick around.
Umm... how is that "being nice"? That's just pricing for maximized profits. There's no "nice" involved.

killer_roach wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 23:28:
In terms of seeking fewer AAA-quality titles in favor of downmarket fare, it's all a process. Nobody knows from the get-go what games will end up being any good - even developers with established track records make the occasional stinker. The system in place rewards success and punishes failure, and we end up with a fairly wide variety of product as a result. Even better, if people don't think they're being served, they can make their voices known by supporting projects that are more to their tastes, or the enterprising can start their own studios in the hopes of becoming rich in the pursuit of an undersupported niche. Overall, I think the system is working far better than many would like to think.
The market it working well, yet they want to try to do things to restrict used games. Somehow I think that if they are successful at that, it will backfire. I'm sure they'll find a convenient scapegoat though.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 2, 2012, 23:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 20:09:
Dades wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 18:42:
That's a pretty iffy argument. If it's an online game, then most likely your used copy is tied to an account and won't work anyway. As for maintaining servers, that's only done as long as it's profitable anyway, and then they are shut down, as we see happen all the time.

Preach it. Any business model where the price of simple operating expenses like servers isn't priced into the box is extremely flawed and can't be blamed on the customers. The servers and associated labour is often retasked from one game to another while abandoning the older software anyway. Many other industries deal with these things all the time and don't demand handouts from customers because they have to deal with resale.

Are the greedy console companies going to give people lower prices in exchange for their loss of rights? More sales like PC customers get? Fuck no.

I said flat-out it wasn't a particularly strong argument, but it is a distinguishing feature relative to the other industry verno mentioned.

Movie rentals aren't quite the same because rentals existed before the movie industry.
Huh?

Beamer wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 20:09:
And things like halfpricedbooks aren't comparable to GameStop because they aren't publically traded with a market cap larger than virtually anyone actually making games.
What difference does that make? So they're big. They're far from the only game in town (NPI). For movies we've had Blockbuster and later Netflix, among thousands of smaller companies. For books we've had publicly funded libraries as well as thousands of for-profit companies. Used music stores are just as prolific. I really don't see this argument holding any water.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 2, 2012, 18:05 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 16:40:
Verno wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 15:23:
I don't like commercial used game sales, I think companies like Gamestop are glorified pawnshops. That said, the trouble with used games is that you can't separate the commercialization of it from everything like lending, sharing and individual resale. The gaming industry isn't a special little snowflake. Movies, music and books have managed to thrive with resale industries often in spite of challenging changes in technology and incompetent leadership.

I disagree with this portion of your statement. It is somewhat of a special snowflake, for a few reasons:
1) There is no major commercial used retailer for movies, music or books. At all. This is the prime reason game companies get so damn annoyed.
There's TONS of them. Half-Price Books is a big one around here. Not sure if they're nationwide or not, but if not, then there are others that fill that niche. They sell used books, movies, music and even used games.

2) For books especially, there's serious depreciation on used. Can anyone here say they never found snot, hair, or mysterious stains on a used/library book? I wouldn't want to bring that into my bed. But a used game either works or doesn't work, so there's extremely little depreciation
Well, if it doesn't work, then that's pretty serious depreciation. Also, you can check out books and even movies and music before you buy them. So don't buy one that has snot on it. That's a lot harder to do with games.

3) There's no support for movies, music or books. Once a sale is made that's it, it's done. Video games have patches and online servers to maintain.
That's a pretty iffy argument. If it's an online game, then most likely your used copy is tied to an account and won't work anyway. As for maintaining servers, that's only done as long as it's profitable anyway, and then they are shut down, as we see happen all the time.

I'll readily agree that the last two aren't extremely strong arguments, it's really the first that holds up strongest: GameStop is really just seen as screwing the industry over. Take that out of the equation and no one really cared because no central party was sitting there getting rich off of it. And the used market was never strong in those areas, ever. I don't have time to look it up, but I'd wager the used game market is exponentially higher in percentage of total game sales then books, music or movies ever were.
Worth noting that two of those three have gone very heavy towards digital-only, with the third kicking and screaming following it.

I agree with the rest of your post. It's no danger, just bruised egos and perceived unfairness.
Whether it's Gamestop or just a bunch of other random chains filling the niche, it will continue, and the industry will continue as well. Libraries and used book stores didn't bring down the publishing industry. Gaming will survive just fine as well. They may not make the pie-in-the-sky profits that the publisher CEOs wish for, but they will continue to make plenty of games because there's plenty of money in it for them anyway.

I personally can't stand GameStop and would never buy a game from them, but that's because I don't see them as providing me any significant value. I'd much rather buy directly from a developer. I think my Steam account speaks for itself though. I buy lots of games at the prices that I think they're worth. Sometimes I buy first day, other times I wait for a good sale. That's the market. They need to learn to live with it.

News Comments > The Pets of Torchlight II
31. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 2, 2012, 02:29 Wowbagger_TIP

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 11:39:
That said I don't ID things I know I won't be using. You don't get more trade in value ID'ing from what I've noticed. I have around 30 scrolls of wisdom entering Act 2.
Actually, sometimes you can get more from identifying an object before trading it. Not always, but I've gotten significantly more shards sometimes, like 8 instead of 3 or something, just by identifying the object. Doesn't always seem to work though. I'm thinking it depends on how good the object is.

I've only played for a little while during this open beta weekend, but the game seems pretty good. I think the map overlay is too hard to see a lot of the time, and I'd like to see some way to quick-sell objects and comparisons with equipped objects when you look at your inventory. I'm still up in the air on most of the mechanics though, since I haven't had enough time to really evaluate them. I started playing a Ranger, but I'm only about level 12 right now.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 02:24 Wowbagger_TIP

JeffD wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 01:14:
Uhmm.. 3 things here that can tuen this into a mighty big pay day.

#1 Assumed guilty with no actual proof. Just hearsay.

#2 Freedom of speech is being violated.

#3 Under the 5th, under no circumstances could the FB password be forced from you.
Umm, none of those really applies here. The only issue here is a potential case of wrongful termination, unless the employment contract specifically says that the employee must give up passwords to certain types of accounts. If that's the case, then I'd like to see whether a court believes that such a clause is actually legal.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2012, 18:04 Wowbagger_TIP

I suspect there will be a lawsuit heading their way. Hope they lose, and the aide gets a nice fat check.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 16:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Chrome seems pretty good, but I could never use it unless there was a plugin like TreeStyleTab for it.  

News Comments > Path of Exile Stress Test Weekend
9. Re: Path of Exile Stress Test Weekend Mar 29, 2012, 11:19 Wowbagger_TIP

They have an online interactive skill tree that is searchable and has several other neat features. Check it out:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/

News Comments > Path of Exile Stress Test Weekend
4. Re: Path of Exile Stress Test Weekend Mar 28, 2012, 23:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Been waiting to get into the beta for this, but so far no luck And I'm gonna be out of town this weekend too, double suck. Brood  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2012, 23:03 Wowbagger_TIP

DNForever wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 22:30:
Might not be a bad idea the way things have been going. Unless it's Santorum. But Romney is probably their guy.

That's funny, since pretty much the entire Republican field of candidates are trying to outdo each other with how fast and how thoroughly they intend to turn the U.S. into a Christian theocracy.
Not sure what you mean, and I'm afraid to ask.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2012, 14:00 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 13:54:
PHJF wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 12:01:
So what's the difference? Oh yes, Tebow is open about being a Christian. And that's no longer really allowed.

Unless you want to run for office, in which case you have to mention it every time you open your fucking mouth.

Oh nos the big scary Christians. I'm not even religious and it doesn't bother me. I'd say the whole political correctness that's rampant these days is a far bigger threat than Christianity.
That's funny, since pretty much the entire Republican field of candidates are trying to outdo each other with how fast and how thoroughly they intend to turn the U.S. into a Christian theocracy.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2012, 13:04 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 11:50:
So what's the difference? Oh yes, Tebow is open about being a Christian. And that's no longer really allowed.
It's practically required, you mean. Hell, that's part of why he gets so much attention from the MSM. He's so inspirational and all that.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer
19. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 10:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Rigs wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 09:19:
3. I'll probably get lambasted for saying this, but it's pretty fuckin' violent. Does it have to be sick and demented to get across that the head bad guy is crazy? Yeah, yeah, I know, Who cares? But damn, it's like every FPS has to up the last one on the violence meter. I can see it if it relates to the story itself, but watching bad guys murder innocent, tied-up civilians, or drowning them in a cave pond...c'mon...
Killing innocent civilians, often en masse, is pretty routine for your average tin-pot dictator anywhere in the world. Yeah, it's brutal, but it's also pretty realistic.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched
29. Re: Skyrim Patched Saves Mar 22, 2012, 01:18 Wowbagger_TIP

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 20:38:
Will try that then.. hopefully it works ;/

Nope, does not work.

Edit: LMAO, Ok, that is totally absurd, but I just randomly changed the mod order and now it works... Finally I can update properly!

Glad you got it working. Mods can be tricky business, especially in a game this complex. I spent many hours working on getting mods to work together in Oblivion. Had to get things loaded in just the right order so that they don't screw each other up. But it was definitely worth it. Completely different, and VASTLY superior, gameplay experience.

3805 Comments. 191 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo