Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3818 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
201. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 00:15 Wowbagger_TIP

ItBurn wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 15:26:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 15:21:
Untrue. Why would anyone possibly download a game if they do not want to play it? Some people mention things like "collecting" here, but does anyone think a meaningful number of people "collect" things they do not wish to play?
People downloaded the game because they wished to play it. Maybe only for curiosity, to see how bad it was, but clearly they desired to play it.

I disagree. If something is free, people will take it. Doesn't really matter how much they want it. Take swag, for example. Do you think people would pay even $1 for 99% of the crap that gets handed out at conventions? Likely not. That doesn't stop them from gladly taking that stuff for free. Hell, just look at Steam sales and indie bundles. I've bought a lot of games that I'll probably never even get around to installing, letalone playing, simply because they were so cheap.

Downloading something for free doesn't prove that someone would otherwise be interested in buying it.

All the pirates I know download EVERYTHING and only play a very small amount of them. Collecting the booty is more important than having an use for it.
I used to do that as well. Downloaded practically everything I could. Then one day I realized that I'd never even installed 90% of the stuff I had, and most of it I wasn't interested in enough to bother with. I was a digital packrat. I downloaded it because it was there. I sure as hell wouldn't have paid for those games. I couldn't have even if I'd wanted to. There's no way those were lost sales.

Now I just buy craploads of stuff on Steam. It's a lot less hassle, I can get them at a good price, and I'm somewhat more picky about what I get. I still buy a lot of games that I'll never play, but I reason that maybe by supporting those devs they'll create something really cool some day.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Diary
8. Re: Tribes: Ascend Diary Apr 12, 2012, 00:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Closed Betas wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:30:
Hooray! The exploitation of selling beta access is finally over.
This game can now die happily ever after. Thanks for trying! You encapsulated 3% of the original Tribes, the movement. and some aspects
of the weapons... Where you failed, was you only cared to monetize on the weapon/characters and destroyed the game play in doing so.. You failed to realize that 97% of your game is meaningless to the actual game objective.

In short, if you love running around doing meaningless frags over and over for years to come, then Tribes is for you. If you think Tribes Ascend is competitive, you better grab the fastest toon out there, because only the flag cappers and chasers matter.. Everything else is pointless and irrelevant.

Expecting Tribes to be a competitive game? Nope, just a money sink off an old established IP
I paid my 15 bucks or whatever to get into the beta. Have had a lot of fun. I unlock stuff when I get enough exp. I doubt I'll have to pay another dime to unlock anything. As I said, I never played the original, so I can't say how it compares, but it is a lot of fun, so that's good enough for me.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Diary
6. Re: Tribes: Ascend Diary Apr 12, 2012, 00:05 Wowbagger_TIP

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 20:26:
Anyone know if their are other maps we never got to try? In the beta, I haven't seen one large base yet for CTF. --indoor, I mean.
Not sure what other maps there are. I just saw the email today that they are adding Raindance. Apparently the most popular of the original Tribes maps. I wasn't a Tribes player, so I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
72. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 11, 2012, 11:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 09:04:
Except that given the history of certain GOP members, that wouldn't actually surprise me to learn that about Santorum.

The Dems are totally free of their own embarrassing members of course
Of course not, and that wasn't even implied, let alone stated. Lighten up Francis.

News Comments > Mechromancer DLC is Borderlands 2 Preorder Bonus
9. Re: Mechromancer DLC is Borderlands 2 Preorder Bonus Apr 11, 2012, 01:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Suckers' content. Pre-ordering is dumb, especially for console ports.  

News Comments > Game of Thrones: The Game Details
2. Re: Game of Thrones: The Game Details Apr 10, 2012, 23:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Not sure if the game will be any good, but at least the show is awesome.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
48. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 18:59 Wowbagger_TIP

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 18:25:
Ouch. Looking at the CE....this is going to be a very heavy micro transaction game. 3-4 of the items you get in the CE are 1x use. WTF!?

If it is going to be like that, why not make the game 29.99 like the others? Or free?
IIRC, those 1-time use items have permanent effects though. Of course that doesn't mean that this still won't be micro-trans heavy.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
21. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 10:26 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:04:
ItBurn wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 09:57:
They just don't get it. The problem was that it wasn't a game that PC gamers wanted to play. Those people think that the content of a game has no link with sales.

If people didn't want to play it then it wouldn't have been pirated like crazy.

You can say people didn't want to pay for it, but undoubtedly if piracy was not an option then sales would have been better. While we can debate all day what portion of pirates would otherwise buy a game (low), I don't think anyone would argue none would.
If a game is pirated a million times I think it's safe to say that's 100,000 lost sales. Bulletstorm was pirated more than a million times.
Numbers pulled out of your ass are meaningless and unsanitary. If given a choice between pirating a game that has rather meh reviews, or buying it, many will pirate it. I don't see any evidence that those people would be willing to pay $60 for the game if they couldn't pirate it.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview
16. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 11:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 03:01:
Yifes wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 02:35:
Drezden wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 20:02:
On top of that his girlfriend is a fucking genius as well. Joss Whedon needs to start a Kickstarter to get Firefly back and on the air. *sigh*

Except a TV show like that costs a couple million dollars per episode. Plus, how do you expect Nathan Fillion to leave Castle?

I don't see Kickstarter successfully funding any sci-fi TV shows with decent production values. Sci-fi shows are prohibitively expensive to produce in general because of all the sets, props, costumes, make-up and special effects required. That's why Firefly was cancelled in the first place. Although it had a fanbase, that fanbase wasn't large enough to offset the production costs.
Well that's part of why it was cancelled anyway...

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
62. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 23:58 Wowbagger_TIP

DangerDog wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 23:34:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 23:21:
I can almost guarantee this will be a F2P multiplayer shooter. Probably just a slightly altered version of UT3 (or maybe UT2k4), ala Quake Live.

I'm actually hoping that by next year we see the demise of the F2P model, the greed is going to kill of most of these games anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi2XGFAIPY4#t=10m18s
League of Legends seems to still be going pretty strong, despite the fact that their prices are pretty ridiculously high for things like buying a new champion or even skins. I guess a decent number of people must be paying for them.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview
3. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 8, 2012, 16:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Between this and Shadowrun (which just hit $700K), I think I'm gonna be a very happy gamer next year!  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached
41. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 6, 2012, 20:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. Glad they aren't going to try to shoehorn multi-player into this game. I'm upping my donation.

Edit: Over $600K already. Nice

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2012, 21:36.

38. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 6, 2012, 17:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Any investment has risks. The return here is a game that we want, but otherwise would never get.  

32. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 6, 2012, 13:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 12:55:
Disagreed. Plenty of developers have bounced back from projects that are bad. In fact, most developers start exclusively by doing bad projects; so long as those projects make some money then they can continue building towards good projects. But if the projects lose money then the developer fails.
Having the potential to bounce back isn't the same as being isolated from the risk. The risk remains, and while it may not be a death sentence to the developer, it can still have a major impact.

29. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 6, 2012, 12:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 10:32:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 09:29:
Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 08:32:
What's most interesting is that these guys are guaranteeing they break even before they make the game, so there is 0 risk for the developer for the individual project.
0 risk.

All risk is instead shifted to the consumer. That's right, the publisher gets to make a free game, and if it does well he gets to take his cut. But the consumer does not get a cut of profits, at best he gets a game he wants, which he would probably get without risking $10 on something not yet made and loosely sketched out in something designed to take his money.
I wouldn't say 0 risk. If they don't deliver at least close to the expected game, then they've shot themselves in the foot and aren't likely to get funded again. That seems like a risk to me, and a pretty significant one if they actually want to be able to work this way in the future.

That's why I said "for the individual project." Yeah, there's risk for the developer as a whole, but that risk is always there.

Also, the spirit of kickstarter is to kickstart a business, so ideally people wouldn't be returning to that well again, or would expect less each time. I doubt that would happen, though, and businesses will keep kickstarting projects.
Yes, but since you can't isolate the risk of the project from the developer, it's kind of meaningless to say that.

21. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 6, 2012, 09:29 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 08:32:
What's most interesting is that these guys are guaranteeing they break even before they make the game, so there is 0 risk for the developer for the individual project.
0 risk.

All risk is instead shifted to the consumer. That's right, the publisher gets to make a free game, and if it does well he gets to take his cut. But the consumer does not get a cut of profits, at best he gets a game he wants, which he would probably get without risking $10 on something not yet made and loosely sketched out in something designed to take his money.
I wouldn't say 0 risk. If they don't deliver at least close to the expected game, then they've shot themselves in the foot and aren't likely to get funded again. That seems like a risk to me, and a pretty significant one if they actually want to be able to work this way in the future.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter
56. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 22:53 Wowbagger_TIP

entr0py wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 22:07:
Prez wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 20:01:
A 2D Shadowrun with classic PC-style gameplay? Oh yeah, I'm down with that.

Unfortunately they've got the limitation of accommodating the laggy jab-and-smear controls of tablets. So the gameplay can't require either precision or reflexes. But I guess a really old school turn-based RPG would work.
According to the kickstarter page, it's supposed to be turn-based. I really hope they do this right. If they do, then you could be doing things like coordinating the actions of your decker in the Matrix with maybe a shaman or mage in astral form, and drones run by your rigger, all helping your team to pull off its mission. It could be fucking awesome if they do it right!

51. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 21:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Of all the kickstarters I've been hoping for, this is probably the one that I've wanted more than any other. Judging from the people involved, they have a great group that actually cares about the SR universe rather than just wanting to exploit the IP. I just hope they can create a fun game out of it. I'm more than willing to support the effort though. Thinking of upping my donation now. Excited  

8. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 11:19 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm a big fan of the SR universe. It begs for games to be made, but all we've gotten in the past decade was that piece of crap from Microsoft. The amount they're looking for isn't very ambitious, and I'm not sure if this is going to be the game I want to see, but it sounds like it's going in the right direction, and anything that might possibly revive interest in the SR universe would be a good thing, IMO. I'm in for $60.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2012, 01:03 Wowbagger_TIP

killer_roach wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 23:28:
Dades wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 21:51:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 21:43:
Where your argument falls down is that you're assuming that, all things being equal, prices would have stayed in the $50-60 range otherwise. Considering the increase of costs in the industry, that seems highly unlikely.

Prices have stayed where they are because the market has grown significantly, not because big publishers are so nice to us. Let's embrace the alarmist view and say that without the publishers then prices would rise, so what? I would welcome paying more quality products and less for ones that don't merit the cost. People say the quality games are subsidized by the mass market titles but the publishers don't care to do that anymore. Everything has to move a few million units or there likely will not be a follow up at all.

Hate to say it, but whether you think it's the case or not, these major publishers stay in business because they ARE being nice to their customers. If not, they don't buy from them, and they go out of business. They have to maximize profits as well, yes, but without giving the customers at least their money's worth (if not more) on a consistent basis, they don't stick around.
Umm... how is that "being nice"? That's just pricing for maximized profits. There's no "nice" involved.

killer_roach wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 23:28:
In terms of seeking fewer AAA-quality titles in favor of downmarket fare, it's all a process. Nobody knows from the get-go what games will end up being any good - even developers with established track records make the occasional stinker. The system in place rewards success and punishes failure, and we end up with a fairly wide variety of product as a result. Even better, if people don't think they're being served, they can make their voices known by supporting projects that are more to their tastes, or the enterprising can start their own studios in the hopes of becoming rich in the pursuit of an undersupported niche. Overall, I think the system is working far better than many would like to think.
The market it working well, yet they want to try to do things to restrict used games. Somehow I think that if they are successful at that, it will backfire. I'm sure they'll find a convenient scapegoat though.

3818 Comments. 191 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo