Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3780 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
173. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 00:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Having gone back and played most of the way through with both Demon Hunter and Barbarian, I find that my opinion pretty much remains the same. The game is just rather boring to me. They've taken away the ability to build a character in the way that you want, and just made all characters of a class the same. I want more choices, not less. I want more customization options, not less. While the combat feels about right, the game around it seems to have regressed.

Also kind of funny that Demon Hunter is so limited in weapons while the wizard can run around with swords and axes and stuff.

If gems are available, that will help somewhat, but it's still pretty flimsy. I'm sticking with my assessment. It's a mediocre game. I'll wait for the other games in the genre to come out and see what they have to offer. Can't justify 50-60 bucks for this. This would be a Steam sale game for me if it was actually sold that way. $20-$30 tops.

Sigh Ten years for this? Seriously?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

167. Re: Runes Apr 22, 2012, 19:50 Wowbagger_TIP

What seems weird to me is that as a wizard, I was using axes, swords, bows, shields, etc. Seemed like I could use pretty much any weapon I picked up. That was just odd. I don't like the skill/rune system. It's boring. Every character of the same class ends up exactly the same. The animations are pretty lousy considering how long this has been in development. Along with the muddy graphics, it looks really bad for a 2012 game. Five years ago they probably could have gotten away with this.

The merchants and blacksmith seem pretty useless. They sell/make almost nothing better than weapons I get from drops. What's the point?

I'm thinking about playing through again with another class to see if I can find anything else redeeming about it. Right now I think the only thing I like about it is that it still has more personality than other games in the genre, and the reaction animations of monsters getting hit/pushed/slammed are cool to have. Other games should add more of that kind of thing.

Overall though, this is a very mediocre game. It's utterly insane that this took so long to create. No way am I buying it, especially since Bliz games tend not to go on sale.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Torchlight II Cinematic
13. Re: Torchlight II Cinematic Apr 21, 2012, 12:59 Wowbagger_TIP

Pretty underwhelming, but can't really tell much about the game from this. New big bad to fight, other heroes couldn't cut it, that's where you come in. Pretty standard fare. I'm really only interested in info on the gameplay.  

113. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 02:27 Wowbagger_TIP

It installed and runs fine on Win7 x64 for me. I just haven't played it yet since it wouldn't let me in until tonight, when, of course, I had no more time to play. Owell. I'm not encouraged by the comments here, but I'm gonna give it a fair shake if I manage to grab a few hours of playtime this weekend.

75. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 17:55 Wowbagger_TIP

Orogogus wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:40:
They probably have the money to pay for the spike even so, but I really doubt that the ill will generated from people forced to play on day 2 would be greater than that cost. Otherwise, just from an environmental standpoint I'd be kind of put off by the power load forced onto the environment. I mean, seriously, "fucked over" if it's not maxing out your bandwidth on the same day a million other people are working the same servers?
Maxing out my bandwidth? No. Allowing me to even play the game that I've already downloaded? Yes.

73. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 17:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Orogogus wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:18:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:59:
NKD wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:57:
A lot of whining about a stress test. The whole point of this is to blow the servers up so that they can be more prepared come launch.

Not totally, the ultimate point is hoping they don't blow up so you can go live. But face it no matter how many issues this or Tera have, the date is set it's shipping ready or not.

Servers were not ready.

I doubt that their goal is to have zero wait at launch for everyone. That kind of readiness would imply a lot of hardware (and money) wasted on every single other day until the next big thing launches. Rather than getting perfect turnaround they'd probably aim for a "good enough" point that keeps people sufficiently close to happy and the game uploaded to everyone within a reasonable window. Overstress conditions would be good data to have to identify the amount of expansion needed.

So basically you're saying that they're planning to fuck over some of their users to save some cash on hardware? This game requires an online connection to their servers, and you're claiming that they are planning to have insufficient capacity to handle peak loads. Nice.

65. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 16:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Sigh

Now I'm getting Error 12:
"This Battle.Net account does not have a Diablo III license attached to it."

No shit.

54. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 15:24 Wowbagger_TIP

Ant wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 15:14:
LordLaggart wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 15:11:
Did you really expect to have everything in a timely manner? I bet even your mom is trying to log on. Try logging on 50 times in a row in an attempt to bring the whole Blizzard network down
DDoS.

Anyways, this happened before to Blizzard and others. Not new!

Yeah, I kinda thought they might be prepared this time, given all the experience they've had with this kind of thing in the past.

48. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 15:06 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:56:
Cutter wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:53:
Well, this is fucking ridiculous. Not only can I not even get it installed - like a lot of other people - but I can't even post in their tech support forums. Yeah, that's real smart. Keep people from accessing the forums when they need feedback. And this thing is supposed to launch in 3 weeks? LOL.

It installed fine for me, can't log in obviously and doubt anyone will be able to for hours. But yeah, good luck Blizzard. lol
Getting "Error 3005" when I try to login to the game. And apparently their website is fucked now too. Fun stuff.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2012, 14:32 Wowbagger_TIP

LittleMe wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 00:30:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 00:20:
So, is JA:BiA worth it at 40% off?

Yeah I'm thinking it is. They've listened to the community and patched a lot of the failings of the original release. Still some more patching and features to add, like fog of war which might still happen.

Just tried the demo, but it really needs some kind of line-of-sight indicator. Way too much guesswork and trial-and-error involved. Seems like the only way to handle the demo mission is to engage at max range with your guys that have rifles, hoping to pick everyone off before they can get close. Anything else seems to result in a quick death. I'll wait and see if they patch that in later.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up
8. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 20, 2012, 10:32 Wowbagger_TIP

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 23:03:
Ok so I played the SNES version, there was a Genesis version, and a Sega CD version also right? Of the SNES/Genesis version, which would you say is the best.
I preferred the Genesis version. It felt more open and the Matrix implementation was more interesting.

On the Kickstarter subject, I hope they hit $1.5M, and the extra mission should be cool and all, but I mostly want them to put the extra effort into making the editor really robust and useable.

7. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 10:11 Wowbagger_TIP

Downloading now. Want to see what it's like and whether I should even think about buying it later.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2012, 00:20 Wowbagger_TIP

So, is JA:BiA worth it at 40% off?  

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: The risk of failure IS greater than you think. Apr 19, 2012, 11:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 11:24:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 11:19:
Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 11:11:
You're risking $15 per project. Let's say you back 5 projects one month and 3 don't come out, or come out poorly. That's $45 you wasted. Had you simply waited you could have judged the product at completion, rather than at pitch, and saved yourself that money.
No, had you waited (and others done the same), the project would not get funded and there would be no game.

That's not really true. Had I not put a dime into Shadow Run or Wasteland 2 they'd still be equally likely to be there waiting for me in a year or whatever.
Collectively yes, the project may not get funded, but there's no shortage of good games out there - I have dozens in Steam that I bought for $5 and have yet to play. Yes, the two I just pointed out have pedigree, but that Tactical FPS also got funded, with money coming from people here. I could live easily without that. I still haven't played Mount & Blade, which looks awesome and was only $5.
Sure, there's no shortage of good games out there, but that's not what this is about. It's about getting those rather niche games that we really want, but that no publisher will spend the time on. It boggles the mind that nobody has done anything with an IP as rich as Shadowrun (and no the MS game doesn't count b/c it barely even bothered to nod in the direction of the SR universe). So, we end up paying for a team that actually cares about SR, and which has plenty of experience in creating and shipping games, to create it for us. Sounds good to me.

Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 11:24:
Getting Wasteland 2 is awesome. Most Kickstarter games won't be Wasteland 2, they'll be Bob's Cool Idea & CGI Reel. Plenty of people get their cool ideas onto Steam for $5 without me having to pay before a single line of code is written.
And I don't disagree that people should be smart about what projects they decide to fund. I think the Wasteland 2 and SRR teams will produce at least a decent product. I've seen others that I have much less confidence in. Those I either won't back, or will only chip in the minimum if they seem at least capable of getting something out the door.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: The risk of failure IS greater than you think. Apr 19, 2012, 11:19 Wowbagger_TIP

You're risking $15 per project. Let's say you back 5 projects one month and 3 don't come out, or come out poorly. That's $45 you wasted. Had you simply waited you could have judged the product at completion, rather than at pitch, and saved yourself that money.
No, had you waited (and others done the same), the project would not get funded and there would be no game.

People will realize quickly that the risk of a product not coming out if they don't fund it isn't always worth the reward of what they get for their money, and they'll get stingy.
Maybe so. Maybe funders will start demanding more information and accountability up front. The process could certainly change and become more rigorous, I'm not arguing that. That may be a good thing.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2012, 03:36 Wowbagger_TIP

People keep talking about a Kickstarter bubble. I still don't understand how it is a bubble. You have all sorts of different kinds of projects with a large variety of goals for the money they're asking for. Sure, some won't deliver. Some won't even hit their funding goal. How is that a bubble? If you want to see something happen, and you take a chance on funding it, then you should understand your risk. The risks aren't hidden here. This isn't like the housing bubble where people were taking out ridiculous loans that they could never pay back. This is people kicking in $15 bucks for something they think would be cool. If it fails, so be it. Be more discerning in your decisions next time, or don't if you aren't gonna miss that $15.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone
38. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 16, 2012, 01:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Bhruic wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 00:41:
When the alternative is that a game never gets made, then I don't see what you could possibly have to complain about. We've waited forever for the traditional game publishing industry to create this game. It hasn't happened. So we fund its creation ourselves. If you don't care about this game, then I can understand you not funding it, but I can't understand what you have against the Kickstarter concept. How else do you get something like this done?

I understand the rationale behind the kickstarter concept. But for me, I find the negatives and positives are pretty balanced. Some people don't mind pre-ordering games. I do. I want to actually see the game before I pay money for it. With kickstarter, there's often no game at all, just concepts in a developer's head. Will it turn into a game? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe there'll be complications, and they can't make the game the way they intended. Maybe they run out of money, and have to ship an incomplete project. Lots of things can go wrong.

I prefer to know what I'm buying. With kickstarter, I'll never know, because you are really only buying into an idea. I have no problem with people who are ok with that sort of thing, but that's not me.

What's not to like about the Kickstarter concept?

Nobody makes you invest in a game, and there's no downside for you if you don't, aside from perhaps the possibility that it doesn't meet its goal and therefore doesn't get made. Those that are passionate about a game concept or IP or developer will take the risk if they deem the reward to be worth it. If you aren't willing to invest in anything like that, then you may still end up reaping the rewards if enough other people are.

35. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 16, 2012, 00:35 Wowbagger_TIP

Teddy wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 00:23:
Flatline wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 23:45:

You're getting the complete game. Think of this game sort of like Neverwinter Nights, where you had a main story, plus you had a robust mission editor to create new content. Now imagine an ad that says "preorder today and get an EXCLUSIVE BONUS MISSION by the creators of the game!"

You're having some problems with logic. If there's an "exclusive bonus mission" that's complete at release and only given to certain people, then people that aren't getting it are ABSOLUTELY not getting the complete game. The complete game would be every bit of the game made in time for release.

While I agree that exclusive content is not the right incentive in this case, I think your logic here is problematic as well. This bonus mission is not deemed to be part of the game by the designers, as evidenced by the fact that they don't intend to create it as part of the game right now. It's no more part of the game than any other mission created by anyone else using the toolset. It's simply a bonus mission that happens to be created by the developer because the funders kicked in enough extra money for them to do so. Your opinion that anything they do must be part of the game is just that, your opinion. You don't seem to have any real basis for your claim though.

33. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 16, 2012, 00:24 Wowbagger_TIP

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 22:59:
If they don't make games that sell well then their are back to 0 as soon as even a single kickstarter venture fails. After all these are not 400+ employee studios that have 5 projects in development. The have to focus their entire studio on 1 project, if it fails they are goners unless they are lucky with their next kickstarter project. And that is imo a very dangerous gamble.

Well, I guess that is indeed a moot point if they only want to make 1 game. But I don't know about you guys, but I want UNIQUE and NEW games, and not retreading of old IP's for eternity. So maybe they only plan to make that 1 game, but my hope is that some of these studios make proper new games based on their success here with kickstarter. Because in the end, I want more (good) games!
Retreading of old IPs? WTF are you talking about? This game is based on a vastly underused IP, and will be very different from the couple of other console games that came out like 15 years ago. If this is how we get good games made that publishers won't touch, then I'm fine with it. Screw the publishers for ignoring this IP for so long.

With something like an extra mission for a game like this, I really don't see the problem. You want the mission? Back the game. If you don't care enough about the game to back it, then buy the game on its own merits when it comes out, or not.

Bhruic wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 17:40:
I still personally dislike the whole kickstarter concept, although if it works for companies, that's fine. But I prefer to actually have a product I'm paying for, rather than paying for something theoretical.
When the alternative is that a game never gets made, then I don't see what you could possibly have to complain about. We've waited forever for the traditional game publishing industry to create this game. It hasn't happened. So we fund its creation ourselves. If you don't care about this game, then I can understand you not funding it, but I can't understand what you have against the Kickstarter concept. How else do you get something like this done?

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
46. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 19:17 Wowbagger_TIP

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 19:02:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 16:43:
Quinn wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 16:39:
I'll pass on this, then.

Not gonna play for free to be PWNZ0RZZZ by people who're willing to spend hundreds..
The unlockables don't make that much difference. If someone is gonna PWNZORZZZ you, then they would do so with or without unlocks. Skill and teamwork are by far the biggest factors. By the time you get the hang of the game, you should have earned enough experience to unlock quite a bit.

That's not true, the unlockable items make a pretty big difference. I can usually give any player a one-on-one run for their money with a heavy/energy combo, but that's a class that has to be unlocked. So now I'm getting pwnd using heavy/repair while I grind enough points to unlock my class of choice. And it's going to take a while because the grinding is too much in this game. And of course, that's their way for you tp pay money; like all those FTP games.
Wait, what? You say you can give any player a run for their money with that combo, but then say you don't have that combo unlocked? Splain that plz.

3780 Comments. 189 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo