Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3789 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
9. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:47 Wowbagger_TIP

Wallshadows wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:39:
From what I recall, the reason there is no offline mode is due to the fact that most of the items, if not all, are stored server side to prevent the wide-spread duping found in D2 and D1 where the information was stored locally. Could you imagine the RMAH with Diablo 2 duping?

Another ruststorm could come and wipe out all the duped items or items disappear after you leave the game and those who bought in to them will be calling for heads to roll while the seller cashes out.

It makes sense to me and if it actually makes a dupe-free market then I think this design will impress more people than turn away.
If you keep offline chars offline, there is no problem with this. That's what post 5 was talking about.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
8. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 10:46 Wowbagger_TIP

deqer wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:32:
"and why they will not incorporate an 'offline mode."

Really? Because all I got from this interview was the same bullshit they've been feeding us before? I thought this interview would have a REAL answer. "Security", and "People angry for not knowing about online mode, and cant bring their character online." are not real answers; that's the same bullshit from before.

It's bullshit because the solution to THAT is quite simple. If it's called "Offline", wouldn't that be the slightest clue to the player that they will be offline? And wouldn't a simple hazard-themed popup warning message resolve that issue? The solution is so simple.
Exactly. Their reasons are absolutely bullshit. They are concerned about people being angry that they can't bring their offline chars online, but not about all the things about being online-only that make people angry? Yeah, bullshit.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 May 7, 2012, 03:25 Wowbagger_TIP

HorrorScope wrote on May 7, 2012, 01:55:
Official site if you bought T2 there that gets you into the Neverwinter beta. But well beyond that, what is the big hurry to preorder a game with no ship date? It wasn't like is was on sale.
Where is that deal? I didn't see it on the TL2 site.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 May 6, 2012, 19:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Played the demo. Sniper V2 pretty much sucks. What kind of sniper game has you basically killing everything that moves in the entire map in order to win? That's just dumb.

Oh, and I'm in agreement that the pre-order incentive for TL2 sucks. I already have TL1. Why do I need another copy?

News Comments > Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans
37. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 5, 2012, 00:34 Wowbagger_TIP

NKD wrote on May 4, 2012, 23:27:
Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 22:55:
However the discussion was whether SR3 ran at 30FPS or 60

The discussion was whether or not the game was properly optimized for ATI cards, which it isn't. You managed to get a decent framerate through brute force (Crossfire 6870s) but you shouldn't need to. Not for a port of a console game designed for 6-year-old hardware. If you have an Nvidia card, you get better performance with weaker hardware. And that's the whole problem. The game should run just as well on ATI cards as it does on Nvidia cards but that's not the case.

Sadly that's why I don't bother with ATI anymore. If it's not a driver problem, it's a lazy developer problem. Over the last 15 years that I've owned 3d graphics cards, Nvidia has consistently given me the fewest problems. If things change at some point, I'll reconsider, but slightly better performance in a couple of games isn't worth the uncertainty.

I don't know that it makes much difference. Over the last several years I've heard a lot of complaining about Nvidia cards too. I've had both Geforce and Radeon cards over the years, and aside from one card that stopped being able to handle anything but regular 2d desktop stuff, I haven't had any real problems.

27. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 11:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 01:57:
By "ran fine," do you mean you got a constant 60 FPS?
I didn't monitor it or anything, but that's because it played smoothly for me. I'm sure I didn't have the settings jacked all the way up or anything, but it seemed fine to me.

As for the game itself, I like the humor and I'm glad they decided to just roll with the over-the-top parody thing. It works. It's fun. I hope they survive to make SR4.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization May 4, 2012, 02:11 Wowbagger_TIP

Lord Tea wrote on May 4, 2012, 01:22:
Cutter wrote on May 3, 2012, 21:37:
Wow, why on earth does anyone use AT&t?!

because they have one of the best networks/coverage in the U.S.
because they have the best data coverage in the U.S.
because they used to be the only carrier to offer the iPhone and plenty of people are still locked in a contract.
because their network can handle stress better than their competitors.

The list goes on...

I do have an iPhone and although I don't particularly like AT&T they have the best overall coverage here. And all their competitors suck. I've once tried Sprint when they had their "simply everything" plan but their data speeds are abysmal to a point where "simply everything takes forever". People are using AT&T because there are no better alternatives.

Depends on where you live I guess. Sprint's network is much better than AT&T here. Verizon probably has a better network than either of them, but I like not having to worry about going over my data limit and getting throttled or charged out the ass for it. As for their network handling stress better, that's a new one on me. Never heard that claim about AT&T before. It's usually the opposite.

15. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 01:41 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 01:04:
Dades wrote on May 3, 2012, 23:16:
Great game, definitely picking up the expansion. They really did right by PC gamers with the port this time too.

Depends on whether you're using an Nvidia or ATI card. ATI cards run the game like ass. Volition said that they were aware of the issues and would fix them but that was a months ago. Haven't heard a peep since then.
Ran fine for me on my ATI card. Definitely one of the more entertaining games of last year. Only thing that pissed me off about it was the damn motorcycles getting stuck in the raised bridges. That seriously needs fixing.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Back in Action Patch; DLC Plans
3. Re: Jagged Alliance Back in Action Patch; DLC Plans May 3, 2012, 10:27 Wowbagger_TIP

Looks like a lot of good changes. I wonder if they'll have an updated demo. When I tried the previous demo, it seemed that the only way to win was to engage from maximum range with rifles and just try to pick them all off as they came toward you. Stealth was basically useless because they could spot you extremely easily, and they were much better shots than they should be with their weapons in automatic fire mode. Made the game seem terribly boring. Nothing like JA2. Hard to tell whether the AI has actually been fixed or not.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews May 2, 2012, 19:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on May 2, 2012, 14:42:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2012, 14:14:
it's a linear shooter with small levels and brain-dead AI .. 6 out of 10 sounds to me like a good score for that.

Verno (I think) said it sucked. He's usually fair and a good reviewer. I'll believe him.
Looks like complete suck to me. The ballistics modeling is probably the only cool thing about it. Other than that it's a straight run-n-gun game. You're a sniper that kills motherfucking everybody, and, oh yeah, then you kill your target too. Very lame.

News Comments > Diablo III Auctions Detailed
69. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 13:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerusahat wrote on May 2, 2012, 12:46:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 2, 2012, 05:05:
Jerusahat wrote on May 1, 2012, 22:34:
Every player can have the same unique item. "Unique" means that it can only drop once per playthrough for you, and if you already possess it, it won't drop again.

What? Where exactly did you read/hear this? Uniques from Diablo 2, are now "Legendaries" in Diablo 3, and there is no limit to how many times they can drop in a playthrough, although the odds are of course slim. Even in D2, the same 'unique' could drop several times in one game. It was an erroneous term at best, that's why it's changed now. Also, accursed WoW influence.

I'll refer you to my previous post, where I linked to a Bashiok post where he stated that D2 uniques only dropped once per-game, and that they're called Legendaries now. If you have a source for the change to drop chance, post it.

I wonder how rare a Legendary item will be in D3. In the Path of Exile beta it took me 120 levels across three characters before I found my first unique. That shit is rare.

News Comments > Diablo III Wizard Trailer
2. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 10:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Wait... how come she wasn't wielding axes and wearing full-plate armor?? I have no idea what a wizard is supposed to use in this game. In the beta there was hardly any equipment for her, but she could apparently use practically any weapon or armor with almost no limitations. Weird.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
33. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2012, 10:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on May 1, 2012, 08:03:
Dev wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 22:14:
Beamer wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 21:33:
Dev wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 20:53:
Guess who is the guy who appointed like a dozen ex **AA people and lawyers into the DoJ? I'll give you a hint, his name starts with Oba

Having some makes sense, as it's good to have all view points at least mentioned, and these guys are the ones that know the intricacies best.
Are you defending that? That's a pretty specious argument for this situation.

I'll agree that its good to have all viewpoints, so show me the dozen guys from places like EFF that he appointed as well.

I'm defending some. Like, 1. And others that know the viewpoints but are open minded. Just because someone was an attorney for the RIAA doesn't make him an automatic company-loving dickhead. But, from what I've seen, those doing hiring don't do a great job sorting those out.

But it's good to have some. Why do companies that run ads hire their ad managers from the companies they sell to? Because those are the people that know that industry best and can come up with the best solutions for them. It's not uncommon to see people go from P&G to the P&G account at Facebook or Microsoft. There's no fear that they'll be too nice or too soft or too lenient on their old company, because they hire people that are industry people, not company people.
The **AAs are industry groups though. It's not the same thing.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete
28. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 20:31 Wowbagger_TIP

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 17:30:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 17:18:
That's why Kickstarter is interesting to me - not only is it a disruptive technology, it's allowing for all kinds of grand experiments.
It sounds like you're treating games like some high concept art project. I'm simply looking for a return to decent gameplay driven titles. I don't see KS as a build-up or a first step towards something "bigger". We've seen where "bigger" leads. Bigger means wide appeal and simpler titles with graphic styles and gameplay that appeal to the masses. From what I've seen the KS titles are driven by old gamers, the sorts of people current COD only playing "modern gamers" would dismiss as nerds. These people created the titles I grew up with, it's very clear to me what they aim to produce. Good new titles. My expectations begin and end with the result of these games. Hopefully they'll turn out decent.
When you think of bigger, I think you're still getting trapped in the binary choice he was referring to. It's not a choice between a game created to satisfy the 30-50K people that funded it and a game that must sell 5 million copies to be a success. There is a LOT of middle ground in there. If the game does well and they do a Shadowrun Returns 2, they could maybe raise twice the money and create a game with more depth and more content. Maybe they actually implement a matrix interface rather than just giving deckers the ability to manipulate the world via their own "magic" ways. There are all kinds of possibilities out there.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Community Patch
11. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 29, 2012, 02:17 Wowbagger_TIP

If the combat in Risen 2 is the same as the first then I'll pass. I found it repetitious and boring, making the whole game just feel tedious. I quit halfway through.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 28, 2012, 13:08 Wowbagger_TIP

Let me know once they have Middle Earth Street View ready to go  

News Comments > TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow
15. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 28, 2012, 01:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Jivaro wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 22:32:
Casters in combat and 50gb install: Its a 11gb download and a 26gb install. Larger then most MMOs today, but not by much. Casters can cast spells while in motion, just not all of them. Some you can, some you can't. Generally speaking, it is fair to say that you ca't most of the time. They make up for this by having very quick cooldowns and cast times for most spells. As for the "glorified cannon" analogy...well....yeah....is that not the case for most MMOS? The mages, sorcerers, warlocks, priests, etc are glass cannons the vast majority of the time. Also, to say that a melee character can move while they are attacking is not completely accurate. They can some of the time, some of the time they can't, and yet other times they move as part of the attack animation.

If it still doesn't sound like your cup of tea, cool, I just thought you would want a more accurate description.
Appreciate the clarifications. I did see several reports of the install taking literally days to download. I actually started the download and let it run overnight. It was barely over 10% the next morning.

As for the caster thing, yes it does sound pretty similar to most MMOs, which is why I was kind of disappointed. I'm looking for something different than most MMOs because I don't really enjoy the typical combat in them. Sounds like this one might be a bit different, but not much. Maybe I'll check back later and see if anything is different.

News Comments > TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow
8. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 21:23 Wowbagger_TIP

I read that spellcasters can't move while they're attacking, unlike melee fighters. This essentially turns them into glorified turrets. That sounds kind like a typical EQ/WoW model of combat, perhaps with aiming involved though. I dunno.. that along with the ridiculously huge 50GB install that takes forever made me not wanna try it.  

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
232. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 23:20 Wowbagger_TIP

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:21:
Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:04:
The same is not true of D3. If you make a private game, it's private. No other player can join you. You aren't sharing a world with anyone else. It is, in all sense of the word, a purely singleplayer experience.

As for developers saying things, I'd simply point out that the developers of Mass Effect 3 told us how the ending was going to be based on the choices that players had made in the game. In other words, developers can be wrong.

I think they would know if they developed it as a multiplayer game or not.

Anyway I never said the comparison was perfect, it was an analogy. The point is this game was designed as multiplayer, the online requirement is there to enforce that, I don't see how you could say otherwise. If you want another example perhaps a private FPS match against bots? Or playing Guild Wars solo with hired companions?

In any event design decisions they made have turned off many singleplayer gamers, myself included, and nothing you say changes that.
If they wanted to make it multiplayer, they certainly could have done so. I can't play Tribes Ascend solo. It wasn't designed as a solo game. D3 certainly was, as evidenced by the fact that they allow you to play solo through the whole game if you want. They do nothing to make you interact with others. Others might as well not even exist. But they still force you to have an internet connection the whole time for no apparent reason. They can say it's a multiplayer-only game all they want, it doesn't make it so.

News Comments > MechWarrior Tactics Gameplay Trailer
1. Re: MechWarrior Tactics Gameplay Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 22:27 Wowbagger_TIP

Looks pretty cool. I like the dynamic lighting. I'm excited about both this and Mechwarrior Online. Finally getting some mech games again.  

3789 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo